Two Hearts

A Scrapbook Memories

It was drizzling outside, raindrops that marked the beginning of the first summer day. The sky was grayish and the weather was perfect. It was not too hot or too cold, the way she loved it. Her skin wouldn’t be tanned and her make-up would stay longer. It was perfect for a cup of coffee. So, the singer decided to go downtown for a cup of coffee.

Her hair was cut shorter; still it looked lovely on her. Her blonde hair was dyed in dark brown. The floral dress she wore hugged her curves almost too perfectly. Her white high-heels were a perfect match with her bag. She sat next to the window and stared outside, enjoying the rainy weather. Her eyes sparkled and her lips formed a cute pout. She looked happy and beautiful, didn’t she?

It did not take long before a man came and settled himself in front of her. His hair was light brown, it looked soft and fluffy. He was around her age, either slightly older or slightly younger. He was dressed in a simple white-colored t-shirt and jeans, with his phones in hand. He still had his eyeliner on, which means he rushed here. When she shifted her gaze to look at him, they both shared a smile.

“Taemin-ah,” she smiled and he smiled back. She was completely in love with this man. He, too, was completely in love with her. Her feelings haven’t changed, but can it be said to this man?

“Jieun,” he held her hands and smiled. His smile was beautiful and Jieun could feel the heat rushing into her.

“Taemin-ah,” she inhaled deeply and stared at him, “do you love me?”

Do you love me?

What was it that she loved about the man? She knew the risk of dating, especially dating another idol. She wouldn’t want to risk anything, so the man must be amazing enough for her to risk everything. How amazing was he? Perhaps, what she loved about him was not his handsome face or his spectacular voice, and definitely not his dance steps. It was his eyes.

His eyes were not beautiful. They were pretty, but far from beautiful. It had the average color of what most people had – dark brown. His eyes were not the perfect round eyes either. It looked big and round, thanks to the eyeliner he wore. What beautiful about his eyes was the sparkle it had. It sparkled beautifully and it was honest. His eyes never lied. So, perhaps, his eyes were the most alluring to her.

Do you love me?

His eyes were so honest, that she could see through him in a glance. Perhaps, it was too honest that she ended up hurting. Pain wasn’t something she could deal for long when it could end easily. So, she asked such a simple question. Her question was simple. The answer was supposed to be simple too. It should not exceed two words. Two words were more than enough to answer her question and stopped her pain. So, what would he say?

The question she has asked, perhaps, was too simple that often it invited problems. It was amazing how such a simple thing could invite so much problems, often leading to break-ups and long fights. She knew and that was why she needed to ask, to see where the question will bring them. Will the man be manly enough to answer her with two words?

If a simple question that only needed two words was given an answer that took more than what it needs, then everything else would become an excuse. Excuses, whether they make sense or not, whether they are honest or not, are still excuses. Excuses were doubtful. Excuses invited more problems, often unnecessary. Yet excuses easily slipped off one’s tongue. She understood it. Does her question need an excuse? It did not. There should be a reason for him to love her, but her question did not need the reason as an answer. So, will he make any excuses for a simple question? She hoped not.

As usual, he would hold her hand and gave her his genuine smile while staring at her eyes so lovingly. Her heart would jump and accelerates, heat rushing through her body, then he would give her a chaste kiss. His answer would be a definite “I do”. An “I do” without much thoughts was an honest “I do.” She would turn pink and smiled at him, saying she loved him too. But he had not been the usual. For the past three months, he had not been the man she fell for, the man she was willing to risk everything on. He had not been him.

“Lee Ji Eun,” He held her hands and stared at her eyes. It took longer time and they spent everything in silence. “Of course, I love you. I do.” And it took more than the usual two words. And his eyes were too honest that it hurt. The hesitation was crystal clear. So, she repeated the question.

“Then, do you love her?” Her question remained simple. It shouldn’t take more than two words or else it would be an excuse.

“Her? What do you mean her?” He raised an eyebrow and his act was messy. “Oh, her! Of course, I… don’t! I mean, I do care about her, since she’s a hoobae and my virtual wife. But Jieun, you’re my girlfriend. My love for you and her is a different thing.” It was more than two words. She has had enough.

“Taemin, do you love her?” She repeated once again, while forcing him to stare at her eyes.

It all went silence. He made the wrong move and his act was messy, all over the place. She bitterly smiled to herself. Her mother was right; the two were too young to be committed. Maybe she was ready, but definitely not this man. She should have waited a bit more. She should have controlled her emotion. She sipped her coffee and shifted her gaze somewhere else, the sky looked amazingly friendly today.

“You do,” she said. He was about to protest when he realized she knew. She knew he loved her. “Do you love me?” She asked, once more.

“I do,”

“No, you don’t.” She retorted, but in a soft and gently way.

“Jieun, I –“

“Men shouldn’t have two hearts, Taemin. You shouldn’t love two women, you should pick one. You love her more than you love me.” She smiled, but avoided his eyes. “She’s young, Taemin. You’re her sunbae. Take care of her nicely. Don’t break her heart. Men shouldn’t have two hearts, Taemin. Goodbye, then.” She picked her things up and rush for the door.

“Jieun, I –“

He should have said it, that he loved her but he didn’t. When the singer opened the door, a younger woman in her early twenty appeared. She looked beautiful with fair skin and long black hair, a pure smile and innocent mind, a beautiful face. Her presence shut the singer’s and the man’s lips, with the two of them surprised with her sudden appearance. But Jieun smiled while passing pass by her. The two shared a short greeting. She was sweet. The singer knew the two were in love, more than he loved her.

The sky looked amazingly friendly today.


Author Note

I didn't update for almost a month! The thing about updating rarely is... my writing style keeps changing! Bear with it, please. Anyway, here's another one featuring IU and Taemin! Oneshots are helpful when it came to handling writerblock (which starts kicking in again) Since I saw an increase number in subbies, I'd like to say hello! As always, comments are loved!