Chapter 1

Dark Mirth

Chapter 1

 

Myungsoo looks up at the night view of the sky, it looks like it’s going to rain but he doesn’t bother moving from his seat on the cold, lone bench. The park is nearly empty, just a few of couples and random people strolling around and he feels relaxed. At least there are no loud noises from kids, not that he hates kids or anything. They can be too loud and too annoying sometimes so yeah.

His phone buzzes and the ringtone echoes throughout the park. He smiles in embarrassment when an old woman turns to stare at him weirdly.

Where r u?

-lemon candy

At the park near our apartment, why?

Well u better get ur back bcuz your parents r waitin for u rn

-lemon candy

Be there in five minutes

“!”

This time he gives a guilty smile to the old woman (who’s now glaring at him) for accidentally throwing out the f-bomb and quickly dashes off to his apartment which is shared with his slightly richer friend, who can help him pay the rent of course.

He doesn’t have the time to wait for the slow elevator and runs up through the stairs, and thank the high gods that his apartment is on the third floor.

It actually took only four minutes and 25 seconds for him to reach the place.

Myungsoo pants tiredly and quickly opens the door, too nervous and too tensed to think of anything. His parents, well, they’re not abusive or scary or etc but they are really, really strict and when they suddenly showed up, that means there’ll be some serious talking.

 And Myungsoo does not like the idea of that.

“I-I’m home,”

Mr. Kim stands up at his son’s arrival with a slight smile on his lips. Myungsoo’s eyes almost bulge out because his dad is smiling. This is the first time the man actually smiles at him.

What the is happening right now?

“Oh Myungsoo, long time no see!” Mrs. Kim puts her arms around Myungsoo and hugs him tightly, not noticing how his son flinches uncomfortably at the sudden contact. Mrs. Kim’s personality is slightly better than his husband, still as strict, but not as harsh and cold. But Myungsoo is still not used to it because she never hugged me before.

He spots Sungjong; not too far and he’s leaning against the kitchen doorway with a controlled blank face and a small, but really awkward smile.

Sungjong knows that his parents have never liked him from the beginning, from where Myungsoo told them that he would be moving out to live with the man and when they opposed of the ‘total nonsense’ and ‘really stupid’ idea. But Myungsoo was stubborn that time, defending Sungjong and still wanted to live off on his own.

Maybe that’s why they do not approve of their friendship, because Sungjong is just someone who ‘breaks family apart’- what a bunch of idiots.

“Yeah... long time no see, mom.” He awkwardly hugs back before quickly tangles himself out, his mom still doesn’t notice. He lets out a silent sigh and looks around the room, and suddenly, he spots another man sitting next to his dad with his head hung down.

Myungsoo guesses that it’s a young man like him, judging from the slight muscles he has on his arms and he looks pretty healthy, might be even healthier than him.

His dad notices how he’s looking at the man confusedly and smiles; how come it looks so insincere? “Myungsoo-yah, this is Sungyeol.” He says with his usual serious voice. The man, Sungyeol, slowly looks up, and Myungsoo has to stop himself from letting out a gasp because he’s beautiful, slightly dirty, but beautiful.

“I-I’m L-Lee Sungy-yeol,” the man bows deeply and refuses to look at Myungsoo in the eyes, he looks pretty scared. He’s even shaking.

Mr. Kim laughs dryly, “silly Sungyeol. Myungsoo is younger than you, so he is the one that should’ve bowed to you.” Sungyeol nods blankly, he’s still not making eye-contact with everyone. Not even Mr. Kim who keeps patting his back. Myungsoo doesn’t even feel jealous at how his own dad treats the stranger better than him.

He glances over again to Sungjong, mouths a ‘what the ?’ and Sungjong just nonchalantly shrugs as a reply. He too looks curious but decides to stay indifferent and stands by the doorway.

“This is quite the surprise, right?” Yeah totally, “we came here for a reason,” of course you are, “we want Sungyeol to live with you.” Yeah okay it’s—

“Wait what.”

Mr. Kim looks genuinely (uncharacteristically) confused at Myungsoo’s reaction and lifts his hand from Sungyeol’s back to his son’s shoulder. Myungsoo flinches and slowly steps back. If he’s uncomfortable from his mom’s touches, he’s even more uncomfortable with his dad, the one that never had shown any affection towards him before, never.

“You heard what your father said. Sungyeol, this young man here, will live with you for a few months or so.” Mrs. Kim cuts in, pointing directly at Sungyeol with a forced smile.

Myungsoo raises his eyebrow at that. There are too many questions in his mind. “Why? And who is he? Why do you want me to live with him?” It’s the first time he ever raises his voice at them but he doesn’t care. The whole situation right now is just too ridiculous.

His parents look at each other, expressions unreadable and it seems like they’re giving some secret messages from the eye-contact. Myungsoo frowns, Sungjong looks overwhelmed yet curious, and Sungyeol is still shaking like he’s in North Pole right now.

 Mr. Kim clears his throat and begins the story.

Myungsoo crosses his arm as he listens.

Sungjong sighs because it looks like he’ll need to stand there for another thirty minutes.

 

“So your parents’ friends’ son, this 'Parkinson's diseased' dude right here, is apparently have been nearly killed by some murder-slash-robber-slash creepy and stinky hobo. And so to protect his life, your parents asked you to live with him. Are you ing serious? Are you seriously ing serious?” Sungjong spats, arms crossed and he glares to Myungsoo.

Myungsoo shrugs, he has nothing to say because the story was really, really ridiculous and stupid and weird that no intelligent words can describe that.

“You actually believe that crap?”

“No, but like you, I don’t want my parents to stay here any longer so I just agree with whatever they said.” Myungsoo replies as he stares at Sungyeol, he wants to ask about a lot of things, but decides to just leave it off for today. It’s already getting really late anyway and all of them need some sleep, especially Sungjong.

“I wonder what really happened...” Sungjong whispered sceptically, eyeing Sungyeol from aside.

Myungsoo sighs. “Let’s just go to sleep okay, Sungjong?

Sungjong nods and flops down next to Sungyeol. “Hey, I guess you’ll have to sleep with me because Myungsoo has a single bed only. Are you okay with that?”

Sungyeol shakes his head, glancing up to Sungjong. “Y-yeah, I’m o-okay.”

“Great, now do you have any clothes beside this dirty rag?” Oh, Sungjong has always been the honest one.

Myungsoo sits at the opposite of them, looking back and forth between Sungyeol and Sungjong as they talk about stuff. From the first impression, Lee Sungyeol looks like someone who’s really hard to talk to, but he’s actually okay. Though looking like he just in his pants, but yeah still okay.

Sungyeol looks guilty all of the sudden. “No I-I don’t h-have—“ Sungjong suddenly gets up, holding out his hand to Sungyeol.

“Thought so, now let me find some clothes for you to wear,” he stops for a second, “I think you’ll fit nicely with Myungsoo’s clothes since mine is obviously smaller. Is that okay Myungsoo?” Both Sungjong and Sungyeol turn to look at Myungsoo.

“Sure, go ahead. Just don’t touch my plaid shirts collection.” Sungjong nods and rolls his eyes because Myungsoo and his silly obsession. He ends up dragging the unwilling looking Sungyeol since he didn’t take his hand earlier.

Myungsoo sighs and closes his eyes.

He has a feeling that this is going to really, really tiresome.

 

-

A/N: short chapter muahahahaha 
how am i going to fit hoya in this hmm hmm

 

i'm too lazy to re-read this so there'll probably a few mistakes sorry lol