Live, Laugh, Love and Dance

Live, Laugh, Love and Dance

 

Hyun Jung strode to school, humming her favorite tune. She shivered as the cool air blew passed her. Winter was rolling around and she smiled. She always loved the cold.

“Boo!” someone pushed her forward.

“AH! Oh my god, Hoya. Don't scare me like that.” she clutched her chest and glared at her best friend.

“Oh man. That never gets old. You were like...” he imitated her face and she punched him in the arm, laughing anyways. She could never stay mad at Hoya.

“Ah, your laugh is so cute.” he pinched her cheeks.

She just pouted and rubbed her now pink cheeks.

 

They walked into their school and Hyun Jung immediately saw Min Woo, her crush since forever.

Hoya kept talking about his boring day he had with his grandparents while Hyun Jung continued to stare at Min Woo who was chatting it up with some girls.

“Hyun Jung-ah...yah...” Hoya waved his hands in front of her face.

She snapped out of her trance.

“Were you listening?” he asked.

“Yeah...something about your grandparents.”

He sighed and gave up. He looked at Hyun Jung with sad eyes as she watched Min Woo pass them with his friends. Hyun Jung sighed too and pulled on Hoya's arm to go to class.

 

During the first half of the school day, Hyun Jung spaced out thinking about Min Woo. She remembered the first time she saw him. She was walking in the mall with some friends and she saw a dance competition taking place on the first floor. She watched as Min Woo danced on that stage like he owned it. His moves were so graceful and precise. The next day, when Hyun Jung saw him in school wearing her school uniform, she practically fainted. But she frowned when she saw that he was a year older. He would never talk to her.

 

The school bell snapped her out of her thoughts and she stood up.

Hoya walked next to her as they were getting their lunches.

“Hey Hyun Jung-ah.”

“Hmmm?” she looked at the different fruits the school provided, wondering what to get.

Hoya cleared his throat. “Uh, you're not going to the winter formal with anyone right?”

“Of course I am.”

He felt his heart drop and frowned.

“I'm going with you.” she looked up and smiled at him. “Who else would I go with?”

His frown was literally turned upside down as he smiled his bright smile, showing his canine teeth.

“I don't know...Min Woo?”

Hyun Jung scoffed. “Min Woo? A guy like Min Woo would never go out with a girl like me.”

Hoya was about to protest that Hyun Jung was just as beautiful, smart, and down to earth as any girl Min Woo spoke to, but he decided not to. Call him greedy, he wanted Hyun Jung to himself.

 

Just as they were walking out of the line and turned the corner to walk to their usual spot, someone bumped into Hyun Jung, causing her food to fall to the ground.

Hoya was about to yell at the stupid fool, but he stopped when he saw it was Min Woo.

“Oh my god, I'm so sorry.” Min Woo apologized sincerely.

“I-it's okay.” Hyun Jung said, picking up the tray. “I'll just buy another one.”

“No no, let me buy you another one.” he grabbed Hyun Jung's arm and led her back into the lunch line, leaving Hoya alone.

He glared at the ground as he walked to their table by himself. He waited for Hyun Jung with a pout.

“Stupid. Popular. Handsome. Guys.” he stabbed a piece of kimchi with his chopstick at every word.

 

“I should really look at where I'm going next time.” Min Woo said as they walked out of the lunch line.

“It's really okay. I guess we're both at fault. I should've have turned the corner so abruptly.” Hyun Jung said looking down, still not believing the No Min Woo was talking to her.

“Here, I'll walk you to your table too.”

Hyun Jung blushed and nodded.

 

Hyun Jung stared at her tray full of food, too shy to start a conversation with her crush.

Min Woo just walked with his usual calm, collected stance.

Hoya looked up from his boring piece of kimchi that had about a hundred holes in it and saw Min Woo and his best friend walking towards the table.

He groaned in his head and glared at him. Don't tell me he's sitting with us too...

Min Woo smirked a little as he stared at Hoya's glaring face in amusement. Min Woo came to the conclusion that he liked the girl he was walking with, but didn't have the guts to confess.

 

Hyun Jung sat down across from Hoya.

“Thanks Min Woo-sshi.”

“Call me oppa. I'm in year 3.”

She nodded and smiled.

“Sorry again. How about I make it up to you one last time, Hyun Jung.” Min Woo grinned, reading her name tag.

Hoya didn't like where this was going.

“How about one dance at the formal? You're going right?”

Hyun Jung thought she was going to cough up butterflies any second.

“S-sure.”

“Great. See you then.” he nodded once at Hoya in acknowledgment and left.

Min Woo didn't have the intentions of ruining the relationship between the two. He wanted to get to know Hyun Jung better, as in a friend. He met her for the first time today and thought she was a sweet girl. What he didn't know was that she had liked him for awhile and he didn't know what his actions were doing to her.

 

“You're red.” Hoya blurted.

Hyun Jung felt her cheeks and smiled. “Did you see that? He asked me to dance with him. Oh my god. He's such a gentleman.” she sighed and stared off into space.

Hoya knew that Min Woo didn't like Hyun Jung in that way. But he couldn't stand seeing Hyun Jung fall for him even more. He wanted Hyun Jung to fall for him instead, because he was actually there to catch her. Hoya needed a plan of some sort.

So all he did was continue to pout and stab that poor piece of kimchi.

 

The night of the winter formal came around.

Hoya was leaning on the staircase, looking at the clock everyone 5 seconds.

“Ah...what's taking her so long?”

He heard foot steps coming down the stairs so he looked up. Hoya's jaw dropped.

“Yah, Hoya. Stop drooling at my daughter.” Hyun Jung's dad elbowed him and grinned.

Hoya cleared his throat and straightened himself up.

“Wah, you look so pretty! Time for pictures!” Hyun Jung's mom said, waving the camera around.

 

Hoya stood beside Hyun Jung and wrapped an arm around her shoulder. They smiled and she took the picture.

“This will be so cute when I add it to your slide show at your wedding!”

Hoya blushed.

“Mom!” Hyun Jung frowned.

“Ah, I'm just kidding. I know you guys are best friends! Take a little joke.”

 

“Let's go. My brother is waiting outside.”

Hyun Jung nodded.

“Bye mom, bye dad.”

“Bye sweetie!”

“Have fun!”

Hoya waved to them and left with Hyun Jung.

 

“My parents are so embarrassing!” Hyung Jung complained while Hoya's brother was driving them.

“I'm kinda used to it.”

“Yeah, since you're at my house more than I am.”

“So that's where Hoya goes. I always thought he was out courting a girl or something. You need a life.” Hoya's brother snickered.

“Shut up and focus on the road hyung.”

“Rude.”

 

They arrived at the dance and it was very hot in the gymnasium compared to outside because of all the dancing bodies.

“Wow, it's a lot more crowded than I thought it would be.” Hyun Jung said over the music.

Usually not that many people would come to the dances. Especially the winter formal.

Hyun Jung spotted Min Woo dancing and her eyes lit up in admiration.

Hoya followed her gaze and scoffed.

I can do that...

“Hyun Jung-ah!” some girls in her class yelled and ran over to her.

“Hey guys!”

“Let's dance!”

“Alright. Hoya, wanna come?”

“Uh, you go on ahead. I'll just get some drinks.”

Hyun Jung pouted but nodded anyway, and she was dragged by her friends.

 

Hoya walked to the drinks table and leaned on it. He knew that when Hyun Jung got dancing, she would never stop. He smiled to himself as he watched her. He always loved to watch her smile and have fun. Hyun Jung was doing something he loved too, even though she didn't know it; dance.

A slow song came on and that gave Hoya the signal to get her a drink since she'd be coming out of the crowd.

He looked around but he still couldn't find her.

“Where is she?” he asked himself.

He frowned when he saw Min Woo and Hyun Jung dancing together, a little too close in Hoya's opinion.

He shot daggers at Min Woo's head with his eyes as the 3 minute song was playing. But for Hoya, it felt like hours.

He sighed in relief when it was over, but groaned when another slow song played again.

Hoya was hoping that when Min Woo said one dance, that he really only meant one dance. But when he saw him pull Hyun Jung even closer for the next song Hoya couldn't take it. He slammed the cup of punch on the table and strode over to them, pushing any couples that were in the way.

 

Min Woo looked up and saw Hoya's fuming face. He smirked a little.

Hoya took a deep breath before speaking up.

“I think your time with her is up.”

Hyun Jung looked up. “Oh Hoya.”

“But we were having a great time. Right Hyun Junggie?” Min Woo asked. He thought making Hoya mad was fun, amusing in a way.

Hyun Junggie? Are you serious?!

Hyun Jung nodded. “Yeah. I'll dance with you after this song, okay?”

“No.”

Her eyes widened.

“Someone's a little possessive...” Min Woo muttered.

 

“There are 20 other girls waiting in line to dance with you. Go dance with them.” Hoya pointed to Min Woo's little fanclub.

Min Woo turned to look at the girls and the girls waved to him.

“What if I only want to dance with Hyun Jung?”

“You...” Hoya poked Min Woo's chest. “...think you're so big and mighty just because you're popular and have everyone kissing your feet, huh? Think you can get whatever you want?”

“What?”

“Hoya!” Hyun Jung frowned.

“I've seen you dance. There's nothing you can do that someone as unknown as me can't do either.”

Min Woo scoffed. “Really?” he asked amused.

“Hoya...” Hyun Jung said sternly. She knew the how talented Min Woo was at dancing. Hoya didn't have a chance.

“Really.”

“Dance battle?” Min Woo smirked, getting in Hoya's face.

“If you can handle it.”

“I should be asking you the same thing.”

 

“Dance battle! Dance battle! Dance battle!” the students chanted, making a big circle around the three of them.

“Ottoke?” Hyun Jung said, looking back and forth at the two boys.

“Winner gets her?” Min Woo asked.

“Yup. I'll admit defeat.”

 

As if on cue, a fast song came on.

Min Woo started first. Doing the same simple, precise moves.

Hoya came in, powerful with street like moves.

Hyun Jung's eyes widened. Never in her friendship with Hoya has she seen him dance. Well she's seen him dance, but definitely not like that.

Min Woo started again, but this time, throwing in more complicated twists and turns that only a few people can pull off.

The crowd cheered his name loudly.

Hoya smirked and mimicked his every move that he did, but only he did them better.

Min Woo watched him with an intense gaze, panting and sweating already.

“Hoya! Hoya! Hoya!” the crowd cheered.

Min Woo, determined to get the crowd on his side again, slid on his knees and did a b-boy move.

“WHOA!” the crowd cheered and clapped loudly.

Hoya shook his head and did a gesture to the crowd as if saying, 'Watch this'.

He started to crunk and dropped to the ground. Hyung Jung could've swore she saw him wink at her before doing so. He came up with the scorpion move that she's heard so much about. The move that every dancer in this school has been trying to perfect. The move that the No Min Woo couldn't do, but Hoya could.

The whole crowd went wild. The octave of the cheers went up by 2 and Min Woo turned to Hyun Jung.

Hoya followed his gaze to her and smiled.

Hyun Jung looked back and forth at the boys before turning and running outside.

 

Hoya was the first to react and he ran after her.

“Hyun Jung-ah! Hyun Jung!” he yelled and finally caught up to her.

“I want to go home.”

“B-but--”

“Hoya.” she looked at him with an expression he couldn't identify. “I want to go home.”

“Okay. I'll call my brother.” he said and took out his phone to text his hyung.

The cold winter breeze blew past them and he saw her shiver. The poor girl only had a short dress on. Hoya couldn't stop staring at how her long hair would blow in the wind, making her more beautiful in his eyes than any other girl in the world.

He snapped out of his trance and wrapped his warm jacket around her.

 

The car ride back was completely silent.

“What's with the tension?” Hoya's brother asked.

I'd like to know myself...Hoya thought and gazed at Hyun Jung's face.

When they reached her house, Hyun Jung got out of the car with a small, “Thanks.”

Hoya sighed and leaned back in the seat.

“What's got your girl so cold? And I don't wanna hear the weather.”

“Hyung...I think I messed up. I shouldn't have come on so quickly. I should've just let that jerkface dance with her.”

“Ah...I remember high school.”

 

The next day, Hoya danced his problems away. He spent hours in the studio just dancing.

“Knock knock.” he heard a familiar voice from the door.

He looked in the mirror and saw Hyun Jung, carrying his jacket from last night.

“How'd you find me?”

“I asked your mom.”

Hoya nodded and studied her expression carefully. He needed to know if she was angry with him or what. He saw her eyes lower to his muscles but come back up again. Hoya couldn't help but feel a little smug. Good thing today was his laundry day, or else he wouldn't have worn that wife beater.

“Why didn't you tell me you liked to dance?” Hyun Jung asked, as she set his jacket down on a nearby chair and walk towards him.

“Whenever I talked about dance you would always bring up Min Woo, so I tried to avoid the subject.”

Hyun Jung frowned.

 

It was silent between the two.

“Want me to teach you how to dance? Well, my style of dancing.” he asked, almost in a whisper.

Hyun Jung smiled and nodded.

Hoya gestured her to come closer.

“I'll show you first okay?”

“Okay.”

He the song and danced. [This is the routine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v34UrrogO4]

Hyun Jung blushed a little when it ended.

“Hoya, I don't think I can do that.”

“Why not?”

“It's too hard. And I can't move my hips like...that.”

Hoya chuckled. “We can skip that part if you want.”

She nodded.

 

“The first move goes like this.” he moved his arms up.

Hyun Jung tried to copy his actions but failed.

He laughed and she laughed too.

“Here, like this.” he stood behind her and wrapped his arms around her to grab her wrists.

“Go like this.” he moved her arms.

Hyun Jung tried to focus on the dancing but she couldn't when she could feel his hot breath on the back of her neck.

Hoya noticed her expression and turned her around.

 

“About last night. There's a reason I was willing to have a dance battle with him. You know that right?”

“I know.”

“What do you think?”

“I don't know. I don't know if it's right or wrong to like my best friend.” she said honestly.

“Let me help you.” he stepped even closer and leaned his head down, lips touching hers, but not for an actual kiss.

He brushed their lips together back and forth a couple of times.

“Now tell me Hyun Jung.” he whispered against her lips.

“Hmm?”

“Is this right or wrong?”

Hyun Jung couldn't deny the butterflies in her stomach at the moment.

“Kiss me and maybe you'll find out.”

Hoya smirked and kissed her for real this time.

She wrapped her arms around his neck while he hugged her slim waist and their kiss deepened.

 

Hyun Jung was the first to pull away.

“Right. Definitely right..”

Hoya smiled and spun her around.

He wasn't sure if he won that dance battle with Min Woo or not, but as for Hyun Jung, he definitely won her heart.