Our World, Invaded

Our Little World is Collapsing Yet For Some Reason, We Don't Mind

The twin boys were sitting in a secluded corner of the lunch room, no words being exchanged between them but a silent conversation being exchanged. The student body bustled around them, not taking any notice or stopping to exchange greetings. That was, until a girl stopped in front of table. The boys looked up in sync, looking blankly at the short girl. Normally that look would make people make up an excuse and leave, but this girl’s resolve didn’t faze.

“Hello!” She said brightly. The boys were shocked that someone had gone out their way to greet them.

“Hello.” The boys returned the welcome. They exchanged a glance and then their eyes flickered back to the girl.

“I’m Kim Rin.” She says introducing herself and holding her hand out to shake. The younger twin shakes her hand gently.

“I’m Jo Kwangmin and that’s my brother, Jo Youngmin.” Kwangmin says as Youngmin shakes her hand.

“Pleasure to meet you. Do you mind if I sit here?” She asks, gesturing to the third empty chair. Youngmin waves for her to sit down and she does. “So which one of you is the younger twin?” The boys exchanged a glance. Never had anyone taken so much interest in their life before. They felt like this Rin girl was intruding and that made them feel uncomfortable.

“I am.” Kwangmin said quietly. Rin looked a little shocked.

“I’m sorry I didn’t mean to pry. I’ve been told I have a habit of being too forward and I have a habit of talking to random people. I’ll just get up and leave. I’m sorry again.” She said, standing up and bowing. She quickly turned to leave and hurried out the lunch room, accidently leaving her bag at the table.

The twins stared at the bag, which was dark green decorated with pink glitter and little drawings drawn with permanent marker. They studies the drawings closer and saw the intricate details put into them. The bell rang and the teenage boys stood up, Kwangmin deciding at the last minute to take the bag with them. Youngmin glanced at him quizzically and Kwangmin shrugged his shoulders in reply.

“She might be in one of our classes so we could give it back to her.” He says and Youngmin helps him juggle both his and Rin’s things. They headed off to class and as they walked through the door they see that girl, Rin, staring out the window. There were two spare seats next to her and they exchange a look before moving over and Kwangmin sitting next to her. She doesn’t notice them until he taps her on the shoulder. Rin jumps and places a hand over her heart.

“Don’t scare me like that!” She says laughing. The twins crack an identical smile and she studies them. “You must be Kwangmin.” She says, saying to the one sitting next to her. He looks at her surprised.

“How could you tell? People normally can’t tell the difference between us.” Youngmin says and she shrugs her shoulders.

“Easy. Kwangmin’s jaw is a little bit squarer and more defined than yours.” She replies. They smile and she points out something else. “Also Kwangmin’s smile is just a little bit more crooked. But it’s cute.” She turns to look out the window again. Youngmin nudges his brother and gestures to the bag. Kwangmin taps her on the shoulder again and she turns around.

“You left this at the table at lunch.” Kwangmin says, lifting up the bag and placing it next to her.

“Oh my god! Thank you so much I thought I lost it!” Rin says and hugs him. He sits rigidly but she doesn’t notice as she starts rifling through the bag, checking everything is in there.

“You’re welcome.” He replies. He glances at the drawings and turns back to her. “You’re a good drawer.” She smiles and blushes a bit.

“Thanks. They’re mostly just sketches though.” She replies and Youngmin coughs slightly as the teacher comes in. He gives a pointed stare at the teacher and Rin nods her head in thanks as she starts to pay attention.

The boys turn to each other, thinking about the differences she had pointed out and they were both thinking the same thing.

Was our world just invaded?