The Third Wheel

⇨Namjoo Oneshots⇦

Title: The Third Wheel
Pairing: Sungjae x Namjoo ~ JaeJoo


A duo consisting of a girl and a boy were sitting in a classroom among other people. They were best friends who always sat by each other and spent time together. They were in the middle of a discussion of whether team Jacob or team Edward from twilight was better when suddenly, the teacher entered the classroom.

"Class." She called as she tapped her ruler against the desk.
Everyone began squirming to their seats at the sight of their teacher. Once everyone was sitting and listening, she continued.
"We are having a new student. Please be on your best behavior, and welcome her."
Walking to the door, she opened it. Everyone watched in anticipation as a girl with long, dark hair entered the room. She had a hard stare, and the corners of her lips raised to form somewhat a smile. She brought a cold and icy aura into the room, and everyone was silent.
Glancing around, the new student spoke. "Hello, Jung Soojung is the name. Feel free to call me Krystal."
With just those few words, a wave of whispers progressed.
"Wow, she's y."
"Very cool."
"I like her."
The boy, Sungjae, turned to the female, Namjoo. "She looks scary."
Namjoo could only nod in agreement before averting her gaze back to the new Krystal girl.
"Very well, Soo-err-- Krystal. Please sit at any desk which will make you feel comfortable." The teacher advised.
Nodding, Krystal looked around. Her eyes scanned the room before stopping abruptly. Her attention landed on Sungjae. Her lips curved into a sly smirk as she strut to the desk next to his. It happened to be Namjoo's seat.
Looking down at the girl, Krystal flashed a smile. "I want to sit here."
Furrowing her eyebrows, Namjoo blinked. "But... This is my seat. There are plenty of empty desks in the back--"
Slamming her hand down, Krystal cut her off. "The back is such a lonely place. It would be much nicer if I sat here in the middle of the room. It would give me such a nice opportunity to socialize."
Seeing that Namjoo and Krystal seemed to be arguing, the teacher, Mrs. Hwang spoke.
"Ms. Namjoo, is there a problem? Show some hospitality, and move your to the back. If that's where she feels comfortable, let her sit there." She said with a sharp tone in her voice.
Namjoo bit her lip as she grabbed her belongings and headed to the back, "Okay, Mrs. Hwang." She mumbled before turning to Krystal, "Sorry."
The female gave her a nod along with a victorious smile, "It's fine."
Arriving at the desk in the back, Namjoo sat down. Her classmates turned to look at her and snickered. Sungjae smiled at her apologetically before turning his attention back to the lesson. Namjoo sighed and just doodled in her notebook.
Suddenly setting her pencil aside, she tried to pay attention to the teacher, but Krystal and Sungjae were distracting her. She could see Krystal borrowing pencils and whispering into Sungjae's ear while Mrs. Hwang wasn't looking. They looked close... As if they had known each other forever.
Namjoo felt a little jealous.
The bell rang, signaling that class had come to an end. Namjoo packed her stuff and walked to Sungjae happily.
"Hey~ School's done. Let's get some ice--" Sungjae put his hand up in front of Namjoo's face, telling her to wait.
Her smile faded as she glanced at the person Sungjae was talking to. Krystal.
"I know, right? We have a lot in common! Anyways, wanna hang out with me and Namjoo? We're planning on getting ice cream." She heard Sungjae say.
"I know, right? And sure, I'd love some ice cream." She heard Krystal answer.
"Okay," Sungjae spoke as he grabbed Krystal's hand, "I'll lead the way."
Turning around, he added, "Come on, Namjoo!"
Krystal turned around as well, "Yeah, come on." She mocked.
Rolling her eyes, Namjoo trailed behind them with crossed arms.
As they approached the ice cream shop, Sungjae rushed forward to hold the door open. Krystal walked in, and Namjoo was about to walk in as well until he let go of the door, allowing it to slam in her face.
Scoffing in disbelief, she opened the door for herself. "Sungjae is such a nice friend." She thought bitterly.
Making her way to the table Krystal was sitting at, she felt a smile tug her lips. Sungjae came along holding rainbow dot ice cream, her favorite.
"Wah~ Is that for me?" She beamed.
Blinking, Sungjae let out an awkward laugh. "Actually it's for her." He answered as he set the ice cream down in front of Krystal.
Namjoo's eye twitched, and she laughed bitterly. "That's okay. I'll buy my own."
She hopped out of her chair and headed to the counter. Losing her appetite for rainbow dots, she bought rainbow sherbet instead. Not wanting to go back to the table where her 'friends' were at, Namjoo sat alone at a table in the corner, judging them.
She spooned ice cream into furiously before slamming the spoon down. She stared at the remnants of the ice cream and chuckled. "Rainbow sherbet sure does look like puke sometimes..." Shooting a glance at Sungjae and the other girl, she added, "Like Krystal."
Namjoo then went home, not bothering to tell Sungjae and Puke Girl.
Namjoo lie down in bed, staring at the ceiling. Krystal will make new friends. She'll have Sungjae to herself tomorrow. Krystal wouldn't bother them forever, right? Namjoo then went to sleep, a hope that Krystal would back off, running through her mind.
The next day, Krystal was still clinging to Sungjae. Krystal now sat in the desks that used to be Namjoo's in each period. Namjoo was left alone in the back, watching in both jealousy and annoyance.
As the bell rang to signal the end of class, Namjoo would just walk behind the duo. They didn't even try to let her in on their conversations. During lunch time, they would all sit side by side, but Sungjae and Krystal would just ignore her. Namjoo was just there third wheeling.
"Hey..." A boy said as he poked Namjoo.
Namjoo looked up at him and continued to poke at her food with her chopsticks. "What?" She replied.
"Namjoo, right? I'm in most of your classes. I'm Youngjae." He said.
"What's up with the sudden introduction?" She blinked.
Youngjae' cheeks flushed, "W-Well... I've noticed that you look lonely lately... I mean Sungjae's hanging out with that Krystal girl... I want to accompany you."
Namjoo glanced at Sungjae and Krystal before nodding solemnly, "Yeah... Sungjae doesn't seem to notice me anymore. Maybe Krystal's more important."
Turning to look at Youngjae, she forced a smile, "I guess you can accompany me. You can take his best friend role."
Youngjae grinned, "I don't think I can ever replace a best friend, but I can try, I suppose. Let's start hanging out more, okay?"
"Okay--"
"Namjoo? Who is that?" Krystal interrupted.
"It's Youngjae, my new friend." She simply replied. She could see Sungjae giving her a questioning look.
"Oh, Youngjae..." Krystal repeated, "Does this mean you'll stop following me and Sungjae around?"
Namjoo stared at her dumbstruck. What the heck was she talking about?
"What-- yeah. I guess so... I mean... I wouldn't consider it following though because you guys invited me to come with you..." Namjoo trailed.
"Trust me. It's called following." Krystal said as a matter of factly.
"Actually, it's called tagging along and accepting the invite." Namjoo said through gritted teeth.
"Hmph. Whatever." Krystal said as she flipped her hair.
Annoying... Krystal was very annoying.
The following days, Namjoo would no longer tag along with Sungjae and Krystal. Invitation to the movies? Declined. Ice cream? Rejected. Picnic? Nope.
Namjoo couldn't believe they still tried to include her with them even though they would just ignore her presence. It was unbelievable.
Anyways, Namjoo didn't need them anymore. They weren't worth her time. She had Youngjae. Unlike Sungjae, Youngjae actually listened to what she had to say. Youngjae actually talked to her. He didn't ignore her like how Sungjae had been doing lately.
Sungjae and Krystal still spent time together as always. Krystal enjoyed the fact that Namjoo was hanging out with Youngjae now. It meant she had Sungjae  to herself.
Sungjae felt the opposite. He wanted to spend time with Namjoo, not Krystal. He missed her.
Sungjae had passed by Namjoo in the hallway, and he decided to talk to her.
"Namjoo. We haven't talked in a while. Wanna go do something?" He asked.
Namjoo shook her head at him, "Busy. I have plans with Youngjae."
Sungjae felt disappointed, "Are you free any other days?"
But before he could even finish his sentence, Namjoo was already long gone.
Sungjae tried many other times to talk to her, but Namjoo made no effort to talk to him. Sure, she missed him... But she was hurt because he had ignored her for so long. She would do the same to him so that he could have a taste of his own medicine.
Sungjae ignored Krystal most of the time now. He didn't feel like talking to her. He set all of his focus on Namjoo.
He watched Namjoo and Youngjae talk in the hallways, and he felt his blood boil. He was Namjoo's best friend, and Youngjae wasn't.
When Youngjae had finished talking to Namjoo and had left, Sungjae quickly ran over.
"Namjoo--" Sungjae was cut off when Namjoo put her hand in his face.
"Not interested." She mumbled before resuming in walking away.
Sungjae grabbed her wrist, "Too bad. You're talking to me anyways."
Namjoo attempted to pull her wrist back, "You can't force me to talk. Leave me alone."
"Just listen then." He said as he tightened his grip on her.
Namjoo stopped wriggling as she looked up at him.
"Make it quick, I still need to meet up with Jae." She said softly.
"Jae? I'm Jae. Did you give him my nickname?" He asked, hurt evident in his voice.
Namjoo shrugged, "Did I?"
"You did." He nodded solemnly before continuing, "Anyways, we need to talk."
"About what?" She asked coldly.
"Namjoo, you know what I'm talking about." He said, his voice raising slightly.
She kept quiet.
"Why are you acting so distant?" He asked.
"Why do you care? Why are you concerned all of a sudden? You never paid attention to me when I was with you and Krystal. Why are you suddenly paying attention to me now?" She said angrily.
"Namjoo... I did pay attention to you--"
"That's not what your actions said. If acting as if I wasn't there meant paying attention, I have no idea what you're trying to say. You even forget about my presence sometimes." Namjoo spat.
"I-I guess you're right... I'm sorry, Namjoo. I shouldn't have ignored you. I don't know why I was so distracted by Krystal. I won't do it again, I promise. I know I've been a bad best friend, but forgive me, please? I miss you." Sungjae sighed.
Namjoo rubbed her temples, "I forgive you." She mumbled reluctantly.
"Really? Thank you! Namjoo, you're the best." Sungjae said as he hugged her tightly.
Namjoo smiled, clutching onto his shirt as she hugged him back. She really missed the warmth of his hugs.
From afar, Youngjae and Krystal watched in awe. "Wow, they look good together..." They both thought.
Krystal and Youngjae looked at each other.
"Want to go to the movies with me? I was supposed to go with Namjoo, but I can tell there will be a change of plans." Youngjae said as he rubbed his nape.
"I'd love to." Krystal smiled.
They both linked arms before heading towards the theaters.

Sungjae and Namjoo along with a bit of Youngjae and Namjoo. Sorry if the similar names were a bit confusing. cx This oneshot was something that I wrote a long time ago, but I hadn't posted it until now. The original pairing was Chanyeol, Sungyeol, and Namjoo, but I just went through everthing and changed the names. I was also debating on changing Krystal to Chorong because her and Sungjae filmed together in Plus Nine Boys (I think that's the name), but I got too lazy to change it. lmao