Coward

⇨Namjoo Oneshots⇦

Title: Coward
Pairing: Namjoo x Sungyeol ~YeolJoo~
Requested By: audiraas

Untitledsungyeol


Namjoo found herself sitting alone during lunch again. Her best friend Sungyeol had bailed on her once more. Ever since he started dating some random chic that she absolutely despised, he never had time to hang out with her. Namjoo's eyes traveled around the room, trying to find that unfaithful-to-plans idiot. Her eyes stopped on his blue back pack that was still on his shoulders. His back was facing her, but she already knew that he was laughing at something lame with his girlfriend, Bomi.

Namjoo glared at his back as she angrily stabbed her salad. God, they could have been talking about much more interesting things at the moment, had he not gone with Bomi instead. What was it anyway that made Bomi more important than her, Sungyeol's best friend? Namjoo scowled before taking her phone out of her pocket. She angrily typed in a message and sent it to Sungyeol.
 
Namjoo: Can we eat lunch together tomorrow?
 
She stared at him in anticipation. When she saw Sungyeol reach into his pocket and look at the text, she noticed how he turned to Bomi, seemingly asking for her permission. Bomi replied with a shake of her head no, and Namjoo took note of how Sungyeol bit his lower lip before replying to her.
Namjoo's phone beeped, and she looked at the message eagerly.
 
Sungyeol: Sorry, I can't. Bomi won't allow it.
 
Namjoo grit her teeth and quickly texted him back.
 
Namjoo: Who cares about Bomi?
 
Sungyeol: I do. She'll get mad at me.
 
Namjoo groaned, shoving her phone into her backpack and refusing to reply.
---
Namjoo leaned against the fence, arms crossed. Surely Sungyeol wouldn't cancel hanging out at her place. They were supposed to play board games together. And after ditching her during lunch, being faithful to coming over to her house would be the least he could do. Namjoo straightened up her posture when Sungyeol came walking out along with Bomi. She cleared obnoxiously loud as an effort to gather attention on her.
Namjoo feigned a smile as she walked over to the duo, "Can I have a moment with him please?" She asked Bomi. Without waiting for her reply, she pulled Sungyeol aside.
"You!" She whispered loud enough only for the two of them to hear. She pointed an accusing finger at him. "Are you going to ditch me again?"
Sungyeol bit his lip, guilt building up inside of him. "Well... Yeah... But...."
"No buts! How could you?" She asked in despair, her hands frantically making it's way up to pull on her own hair. "We've been planning this since forever."
"Hey, hey-- Stop that." He groaned, pulling her hands away from her already tousled hair. "Truth is, I haven't asked her for permission yet. I already know that she'll say no though." He sighed, face looking glum.
"Are you an idiot?" She asked, angrily reaching over to pinch his cheek. "You don't need to ask for permission! You're in control of your own life, and you can choose whether or not you want to do something by yourself." She muttered, only letting go of Sungyeol's cheek when he winced and shoved her hand away.
"Yeah, well it's not like that when you're in a relationship with someone." He said, voice low. He his heels, heading back towards Bomi. He stopped a few feet away and turned around. "You've been single ever since you were born. You wouldn't know."
---
"God, I hate him!" Namjoo screamed loudly into her pillow. "Argh." She growled as she threw the same pillow she was just screaming into at her wall. "You wouldn't know. You've been single ever since you were born." She repeated the same words Sungyeol had told her in a high-pitched mocking voice.
"How could he say that!" She asked in despair. Tears were now welling up in her eyes. So much for a best friend. Oh, how she hated how things between her and Sungyeol were now. She crawled beneath her blanket and stared up blankly at the ceiling. She would have been playing board games with Sungyeol if he didn't bail. Instead she was playing bored games-- lying in bed alone, with absolutely no company or entertainment whatsoever.
She heaved a sigh, flipping over to her side. Her arm hung off of her bed like a rag doll. She felt so worn out from crying and screaming. The only thing that didn't seem to tire her was her endless reminiscing.
Oh, the old days, long ago before Bomi came into the picture. Sungyeol and Namjoo would always hang out, every second of everyday. They always enjoyed each other's company, and she recalled how when one of their plans were to get ruined, both of them would cry their eyes out to their parents. Now it seemed it was only Namjoo who got upset. Sungyeol had much more important things to attend to besides Namjoo.
The sulky female sniffled.
"Namjoo! Sungyeol is here!" Her mother called suddenly. She must be kidding. Sungyeol wasn't coming. "Whatever." Namjoo muttered. She turned her back to the door, and closed her eyes, hoping to get some much needed sleep.
Moments later, a knock on the door was heard, and Namjoo groaned. She hid her face beneath her blanket. If it was her mom knocking, she didn't want her to see her puffy eyes and interrogate her. "Come in." She sighed.
When someone came in and sat on the corner of her bed wordlessly, Namjoo poked her head out to look. Strangely enough, it was Sungyeol.
"What are you doing here?" She asked, eyebrows furrowed. Watching as Sungyeol shyly rubbed his nape, she listened to his reply. "I decided to come." He answered, his eyes slowly looking up and into her eyes. His jaw dropped, and he let out a an exasperated sigh. "Ah, you were crying?"
Namjoo felt her face heat up, suddenly embarrassed. "N-No.... They're allergies." She lied as she looked elsewhere. Pretending to preoccupy herself with her phone, she scolded. "Just leave. Won't your girlfriend get mad?" She asked, adding emphasis on the word girlfriend.
"Come on, I know you don't have allergies." Sungyeol snorted, cupping her cheeks. "Bomi is mad, but my bestie is more important to me right now." He grinned cheekily.
"You're an idiot." Namjoo huffed crossing her arms, "You hurt my feelings earlier."
"Did I?" He asked, pulling her into a hug, "Sorry, sorry." He said gently, rubbing soothing circles on her back. Namjoo could only hug him back in response, burying her face into his shoulder. It was times like these when things felt right. 
---
The next day at school, Sungyeol decided to finally hang out with Namjoo. Instead of asking Bomi for permission to hang out with Namjoo, he merely declared that he would.
When Sungyeol returned after talking with his girlfriend, Namjoo noticed the deep glare that Bomi shot her. Namjoo tugged at Sungyeol's sleeve eagerly. "Soooo? What did she say?"
Sungyeol shrugged his shoulders, "Well.... She said, 'Fine, but don't go running to me when Namjoo gets her kicked.'" He smiled at the female softly, "Don't worry about it though. It's probably nothing."
Namjoo frowned, "She's threatening me? What did you reply?"
Sungyeol bit his lip, "I just walked away."
Namjoo huffed, "She's saying things like that, and you don't even bother to defend me? What kind of a friend are you-- Why don't you ever do something about it?" She guilt-tripped, letting out a disappointed sigh. "Forget it, I'll talk to her myself. This has gone on long enough."
"Please, please don't. Just ignore her." Sungyeol pleaded, gripping Namjoo's wrist. Namjoo just pulled her arm out of his grip, "You're really going to let her about me? Can't you just break up with her? You told me so many times before that you wanted to." Shaking her head in frustration, she stomped off to find Bomi. Sungyeol following behind.
---
"Why are you threatening me? What did I ever do to you?" Namjoo angrily interrogated Bomi. "You're going to kick my ? What for?"
"You're stealing Sungyeol away from me!" Bomi retorted, "Right, Singyeol? She's stealing you! Kim Namjoo, you boyfriend stealer!" She said, hugging Sungyeol's arm. Sungyeol stared at Namjoo, clearly concerned and unsure of what to do.
"He's my best friend. What are you talking about?" Namjoo growled, "Sungyeol, Aren't you going to say anything?"
"Why would he defend you? You're a good for nothing brat. Annoying, clingy, you're all of that. God, Namjoo, can't you take the hint? He's not saying anything because he doesn't like you either." Bomi spat.
Namjoo's eyebrows knit together as she ran a hand through her hair. "Okay, forget it. I'm done." She walked past the two, abruptly stopping infront of Sungyeol. "This is why we always get into fights. You never do anything to stick up for me." She bit her lip when she felt a tear cascade down her face, and she continued on her way.
She swore she heard Bomi mutter "pathetic" beneath her breath.
---
"Namjoo, Namjoo!" Namjoo ignored Sungyeol's calls for her, and she began to run faster. The moment she saw him waiting for her infront of the gate, she made a dash for it. She was angry at him. Allowing his girlfriend to say untrue things about her as if it was perfectly fine. Who did he think he was? Definitely not a best friend, or a friend in general.
Namjoo reached her home, and quickly unlocked the door. Sungyeol's long legs were helping him speed up by seconds, and she had to hurry. Once the door was unlocked, she quickly slammed it shut. Locking it before leaning against the wall next to the door to catch her breath. Seconds immediately after, the loud and aggressive pounding began.
"Honey, what's happening?" Namjoo's mom asked worriedly.
"It's nothing," Namjoo smiled innocently, "Just don't open it." The pounding stopped and Namjoo breathed a sigh of relief. "See? It stopped."
"Namjoo, I-" Her mom started, but Namjoo cut her off. "It's really nothing, mom. Don't worry. I'm going to be upstairs, changing."
---
Namjoo walked into her room and locked the door. Today was such a tiring day. Then again, any day where she had to deal with Sungyeol and Bomi was. Namjoo took off her socks, throwing them into her hamper. She really needed to change her clothes. She had only gotten to taking her shirt off, when a large rock suddenly hit her window, and the glass shattered.
Namjoo screamed, immediately covering herself with the new shirt she was about to put on. She backed away into the corner of her room, "M-Mom--"
All of a sudden, Sungyeol heaved himself up and over the window sill. A foolish smile on his lips.
"Are you crazy?! What are you doing?!" She practically yelled.
"Ow." Sungyeol whined, covering his ears as he made his way towards her. "I'm entering your house, so I could apologize."
"Entering?! Is this what you call entering?" She asked as she motioned towards the broken window with one of her hands, "Next time use the door, you dummy!"
"I tried, but you didn't answer it." He shrugged. His eyes lowered down to Namjoo's hands that were still clutching the shirt over her body protectively. He felt his cheeks redden and he cleared his throat, turning to give her privacy to put it on.
"Yeah, you broke the window in the middle of my clothing change session." She grumbled, quickly pulling her shirt on. "There, now you can turn around."
"Namjoo--" Her mom tried opening the door, but Namjoo quickly shut it again. "It's nothing mom! I'll explain later." She told as she shot a glare at Sungyeol.
He only stood there, smiling sheepishly at her.
"Anyway, what do you need to tell me? What was so urgent that you needed to break the window, hmm?" She asked, judging him.
"I just wanted to apologize for being a coward-"
"Yeah, yeah. I've heard it already." She said, uninterested as she observed her nails.
"You didn't let me finish--" He whined, "I'm also breaking up with Bomi. Just for you."
Namjoo's head shot up, and she was suddenly paying attention. "Are you really?"
"Indeed." He smiled, walking over to her and grabbing her hands. He pulled her to the bed where they sat down. "Look, I'll call her and break up with her right now."
Namjoo eagerly peered over his shoulder as he dialed in Bomi's number. Sungyeol put it on speaker mode, so that Namjoo could hear every single thing.
"Hey, babe!" Namjoo listened to Bomi's excited voice, and she cringed. How could Subgyeol stand hearing that?
"Hey, Bomi. I'm breaking up with you." Sungyeol stated, "It just isn't working out." Namjoo pressed her lips together to stifle a giggle.
"What? It was working out before though!" Bomi said in panic, "Oh, I know. It's because of Namjoo! Gosh, that little twerp. Did she make you do this? God, when I lay my hands on her, I'm gonna---"
Sungyeol ended the call and threw his phone aside victoriously.
"See?" He grinned.
"God, we're so mean." Namjoo laughed, leaning over to hug him. "I really can't believe you actually broke up with her." She broke the hug, reaching out to lightly caress his cheek.
"I guess you aren't so much of a coward after all." Namjoo chuckled. 
"Yeah." Sungyeol grinned, leaning into her touch.
"But telling your mom that I broke the window. I have to admit, I'm too cowardly to do that." He said as he rubbed his nape and chuckled.
"Oh, right." Namjoo snorted. "Don't worry, I have your back, bestie." She winked playfully.
The duo began to make up a story on why the window was broken, and for once, things were back to normal again.

Author's Note: wheezes. YeolJoo is finished! Sorry for using Bomi as the mean character. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore her. I just decided to use her because YeolMi is a ship, apparently. Anywho, sorry for the lame drama once again. I based this off of my own experience that happened not too long ago. A majority of details were left out so that the story wouldn't drag on. Nonetheless, I hope you enjoy it. c: Thank you to my subscribers for being so patient. Muah!

* Taehyung(V) and Namjoo are up next! ;)))