Chapter 1

Band Aid

Taeyeon’s POV

 

I gulped as I looked down once more, getting ready to make the biggest decision of my life- which was to end my life. I wobbled back as I saw how high of a fall it would be. I looked to my left and saw my wheelchair. I hate you! Why do you have to be in my life? Without you… without you, he wouldn’t have… I angrily kicked the wheelchair as the memories started rushing back to me.

 

“Oww…” I said as I reached down to touch my injured feet.

 

Stupid leg, why didn’t you corporate with before?! Why didn’t you heal earlier?”

 

I started walking back to the stop where I last was.

 

You can do this Kim Taeyeon! In a blink of a second, everything will be over. You won’t even feel the pain.

 

“Can I really do this? No, no… you got to do this! Show him how great of a girl he missed out on. Make him regret ever doing this to you!”

 

Flashback

 

“Ahh Kris! You’re early today! What food did you bring me this time?” I said happily as I tried to peek inside the plastic bag he was holding.

 

“Awww… porridge again? I’ve been eating that for a week!”

 

Silence…

 

“Yah, Kris. What’s wrong? Why aren’t you talking today?”

 

I tugged at his shirt, hoping he’ll give me a reply. Did I do something wrong?

 

“Taeyeon-ah…” He said as he looked me in the eyes. His eyes were beautiful, possessing a gleaming shade of dark brown. But something about them haunts me. The cold and piercing stare it directed at me sent shivers down my spine.

 

“Let’s break up”

 

“What?!”

 

“Let’s stop this”

 

“What are you talking about? Are you kidding me?” I said as I punched him lightly on the shoulder.

 

“I can’t go on with this. I don’t want to do this anymore.”

 

“Kris, whatever prank you’re pulling. This is not funny!” I half-screamed-half-shouted the last sentence hoping he’ll stop this silly act. I am not the kind of person who can take these jokes lightly.

 

“I’m not playing around.” He said as he started clenching his fist. He sighed before he began speaking again. “I don’t want to have to come in the middle of the night because you’ve fainted or have to worry about whether or not you’re safe when you go out. And most of all, I don’t like having to bring you food every day!”

 

I was on the verge of tear. What is this guy saying? He doesn’t want to be with me anymore because I…I’m burdensome? The look on his eyes told me he was not joking around this time. I noticed that I’ve never seen him look so haggard before. His hair was messy, his outfit was mismatched, and most of all, his eyes tell me he haven’t slept for days.

 

“Kris, I… I” I began to speak but I was cut off.

 

“I’m tired, Taeyeon. So, let’s just end this.”

 

This time, I was crying. I couldn’t hold in my emotions anymore and I was bursting in tears.

 

“Kris, I can change! I won’t have you worrying about me anymore! If it’s about the coming in at night or bringing me food, you can stop. You can stop all of that. Just don’t say you want to break up, okay?” I pleaded as I kept tugging at his arm.

 

“Taeyeon, listen. My father wants me to take over the company since he’s getting old. Since I’ll be the heir of the company, I’ll naturally have to get married and start a family of my own. Do you understand this?”

 

I nodded slowly. “Will you wait for me? Will you wait until I have recovered?”

 

He put his head down slightly. “I’m going to marry the daughter of HMI Corporation.”

 

“What?!”

 

“She will be able to help me with the business.”

 

“I’ve never managed a company before but if there’s anything, anything at all that I can help with. You know I’ll help you.”

 

“That’s not the point. The point is she’s pretty, intelligent, reputable in the business world, and moreover, she’s healthy…”

 

He spoke the last part softly but I could still hear him.

 

“Is that it? Is it because I’m sick? The doctor said I’ll recover! He said I’m doing great!”

 

I felt so ashamed of myself. Other people can contemn me or disregard me and I would not care but … How can he do the same? How can he say this about me?

 

“Do you know that other people make fun of the fact that I have a bed-ridden girlfriend? That the only way I can take her out is to push her on her wheelchair? I can’t even see you on a daily basis if I wanted to? Where were you when I most needed you? And you know I hate hospitals!”

 

Oh right, his mom died at this hospital so it must have brought him painful memories when he come here. But I was shocked. Kris Wu, the kind-hearted angel I treasured was actually saying this to me?

 

“That’s right! I am bed-ridden! I can’t go on dates with my boyfriend like normal girls do! I can’t even stand up by myself! But you know what! I cherish the people I love! I would never hurt them.”

 

Kris, do you know how much my heart hurts right now?

 

I held in the tears that threatened to fall as I continued speaking. “I realized that I was wrong in loving you. You never loved me, did you? You’ve always thought of me as a burden right?  I thought we loved each other because we felt connected to each other. We could tell one another our deepest secrets. We can have those silent moments and it won’t ever be awkward because… because we both just felt happy being in each other’s company. But I guessed I was the foolish one. I guessed I loved you more than you loved me…”

 

Kris became silent once I finished talking. He just bowed his head, trying to avoid looking into my eyes because at this point. I‘ve become a ball of mess. Face full of tears and hair all over the place.

 

I was going insane at the fact of having to separate from him. But I was attempting to be strong, trying to mask my weakness and over-clinginess. I will not give in to the fact that I am nothing without him. I will not win him over with sympathy but I have to make him realize that this decision will be the biggest mistake of his life.

 

He got up, getting ready to leave. I tried to stand up and stop him as my emotions started kicking in. I cannot let him leave now.

 

“Kris… don’t leave. “ What I feared the most appeared. My weakness was showing. I was being the helpless and vulnerable girl which I hated the most. I hated having to depend on men but… but I cannot do anything without Kris. He was there when my parents die, when I was kicked out from my uncle’s house, and when I lost my job. He was always there when I needed him. He… he was right. I was never there when he needed me. I couldn’t recollect any of the times I was by his side when he needed me.

 

I just kept crying and crying as he turned the knob to the door.

 

He looked back at me before saying “Forget about me Taeyeon. Move on.”

 

End of Flashback

 

I clenched my shirt as I remembered what happened that day. Since that day, my protective wall came crashing down. I’ve became so weak and sensitive. I was fragile and powerless. I would cry all day, refuse to eat, and won’t talk to anyone.

 

Reality snapped me back to life. I sighed as I took a step closer to the edge of the rooftop. As I lift my right foot, I closed my eyes, hoping to recall the happier times in life.

 

After a moment of silence, I opened my eyes, shocked to see that I have not hit the ground. What? I’m supposed to be dead. How come I’m…?

 

“Owww…”

 

Upon hearing a voice, I looked to left and saw that I have fallen on top of a blond dude.

 

Luhan’s POV

 

I walked towards the rooftop after sending my little sister in for a checkup. I really needed some fresh air. Work at the new café has been killing me. Why do so many people like to order coffee?

 

As I opened the door to the rooftop, I saw a petite girl with long brown hair standing at the edge of the rooftop. What is she doing? Is she going to jump?

 

Before I knew it, she walked farther and lifted her right foot, getting ready to take the fall. My instincts suddenly started kicking in as I found myself running as fast as I can to where the girl was. I hugged her waist and pulled her back before could she jump off.

 

“Owww…” I said as we both fell down.

 

“Who, who are you?!” The girl pointed at me with an angry expression. Hah, she’s cute when she’s angry. She had big brown eyes that were bright and full of life. Her beauty was hidden behind her long bangs that overpowered her face. She was breathtaking. But why does she looked so delicate and… lost?

 

“Babo! You almost fell!”

 

“ I said who are you and why did you stop me from jumping?!”

 

“You should thank me! I just saved you!”

 

“I don’t need to thank you! I should kill you! You just ruined my perfect plan!” She said as crossed her arms and stomped her feet.

 

“What plan? You could have died!”

 

“AHHH! I don’t care!” She started walking towards the edge of the rooftop again and was attempting to jump again.

 

I ran behind her and grab her arm, hindering from moving.

 

“What are you doing? Why do you want to end your life like that?”

 

She looked back at me and I could catch a glimpse of the tears in her eyes.

 

“You won’t understand. I am worthless now. No one cares about me anymore. I should just die!”

 

“Babo! If you don’t tell me, of course I won’t understand!”

 

Taeyeon’s POV

 

I couldn’t even think right anymore. This guy just had to come along and stop me from jumping off! Who does he think he is? Superman?!

 

“Look here. I don’t have time for this. I really just want to jump off that edge okay? Don’t mind me. If the police comes for you and ask you if you had witnessed anything, just tell them to you didn’t okay? Pretend nothing happened and I won’t haunt you when I’m dead. Now go home and be a good boy.” I gave him a sarcastic smile and patted his head before walking away.

 

“I know you don’t want to die! By the way you were going to jump, it seemed like you were afraid of death.”

 

Afraid of death? Is he kidding me? Kim Taeyeon is not afraid of anything!

 

I walked back to him. “I’m not afraid of death. I’m not afraid of anything. Ever since he left me, I have become soulless! I have no feelings, emotions, or whatsoever so certainly, I’m not afraid of death!”

 

“Then let’s talk about it if you’re so brave. What made you so steel-hearted?”

 

I huffed as this guy was annoying me to the core. I looked into his eyes. They were just like Kris’s. Dark brown and alive. The way he smiled made his eyes turn into little crescent moons. His skin was pale and soft, almost like an angel’s. He was beautiful and alluring. Could he have been an angel sent by my parents?

 

I was lost and speechless for a second but his snap pulled me back to reality.

 

“So, would you like to share your story with me?”

 

I guess there’s no harm. “Hey, before I start. I want to ask you something?”

 

“Uh hmm”

 

“What’s your name?”

 

He let out a heartily laugh upon hearing my question.

 

“Yah! You never told me so stop laughing at me!”

 

“Haha, okay okay. The name’s Luhan. How about you?”

 

“I’m Taeyeon.”

 

“Hmm… Taeyeon.” He said as he put his hands to his chin.

 

I ended up telling him my whole story about how Kris dumped me for some rich and pretty girl. Pathetic right?

 

“Ahh, so that’s what happened. You had a heart break.”

 

“Uhh hmm.”

 

“That’s no reason to end your life. It’s just a break up, nothing big.”

 

“What do you mean? He broke up with me? The love of my life broke up with me! Did you also not hear the fact that I’m sick? Yah! I’m dying! Why can’t I just die faster?”

 

“You’re still alive and moving. It seemed like your legs healed a lot as well. By the way, how did you injure your leg?”

 

“Heh, that’s a different story.”

 

“Look, if you loved him so much… you wouldn’t want him crying over your death right? He’ll be heart broken and he’ll probably end up committing suicide as well. Then his parents will get so depressed that they will also…”

 

“ENOUGH! Stop stop! Stop it right there! That’s not funny and that’s not the point! The point is…”

 

“I know, the point is that he dumped you. I get it and you’re sad over that. Why don’t you just go ask and ask him for an explanation?”

 

“I can’t do that. He doesn’t want to see me anymore!”

 

“You’ll never know unless you try. Where does he work again?”

 

“At TCE Corporation”

 

“Okay let’s go.” Luhan grab my wrist and started me dragging me away.

 

“Wait my wheelchair!”

 

“You don’t need that anymore! I saw you! You can walk perfectly.” He winked as he said the last part.

 

That he’s right about.