1

Bridge to Better Days

  First day of school is not exactly you're favorite. It has been the same every year since high school started. You were bullied and had no friends to talk to. You never bothered to tell the school administrators or your parents about it because to you that was just a waste of time. This year, like every year, you wished it to be different. Better!

   Like always, you sat in front of the classroom so you could focus on your studies and like always no other student paid attention to the teacher. All of a sudden one of the administrators knocked on the door and came in with a new student. He was tall, fit, and nicely dressed. The only odd thing about him was him mask. When told to introduced himself, he wrote his name on the board, bowed, and sat down. Daehyun, that's a nice name.

   To your surprise he sat next to you. No one has sat next to you, or behind you, or in front of you in such a long time so you were happy. The whole entire time he was silent, not even a peep out of him. The bell rang and you gathered your things to go to lunch. When you were about to leave, one of your classmates tripped you making you drop your things. Daehyun grabbed one of your papers and handed it to you and he walked away.

   "Thank you!" You yelled to Daehyun.

   You ate lunch alone and went to your next class. Once again there was another new student and this time it was a girl. She was upbeat and more open, unlike Daehyun. She was instructed to find a seat and she started walking towards your table. Everyone started whispering to each other.

   "Hi! I'm Yoori. Nice to meet you." She smiled.

   "Er.. Hello." You waved awkwardly. "I'm Hye Jin. Nice to meet you."

   "I wouldn't be talking to her if I were you." A student yelled at Yoori, but she just ignored it.

   "What's with them?" Yoori asked you.

   "I honestly have no clue. One day, everyone just decided to hate me."

   Both of you kept talking and got to know more about each other. School ended and she asked if you were free later. Turns out she lived not far from you and she wanted to hang out. You couldn't believe that someone actually wanted to be friends with you. She came over and both of you went to get ice cream. Afterwards, you went shopping and had lots of fun. Turns out she's related to Daehyun and they were from Busan.

   The next few days people didn't bother you as much and your school life finally getting better. That's how it was for a month at least. The dean's son came back to school and his mission was to make your life as miserable as possible. You were his favorite target and he didn't care that you were a girl.

   After school, he sent two of his friends to follow you home. They would of already come after you, but you were with Yoori most of the time. They waited until you were alone to jump you. They made sure that there were no witnesses around and they hit you until you bled.

   When you came home you had cuts on your arm, legs, and one on your lower lip. You cleaned up and started crying because of the pain. Why me? Why did it have to be me? I hate people!!

   To cool off, you went for a run. You stopped at the bridge since no one was there and thought for awhile. What if I were to be gone? Everyone would be much happier and I wouldn't need to suffer. I'm sick of this life! That's it. I've made up my mind! You stood on the bridge railing and took another look of the world you would be leaving. You were about to jump when someone yelled from behind you.

   "Wait! What are you doing?!" You turned around to see Daehyun standing behind you. Your eyes grew wide. What's he doing here? "Are you crazy?! You could of fallen and died!" He continued.

   "That's what I was trying to do!" You yelled and tears started to form. "That's what I was trying to do..." Your voice became quiet as you stepped off the railing and you started crying.  You then started telling Daehyun what was going on and how terrible your life was.

   Daehyun came closer and hugged you tightly. "Don't worry. I'll protect you from now on!" He whispered and wiped your tears away with his fingers. "Come on, let's go get some food. My treat." You let out a weak smile and Daehun helped you up.

   After eating ddukbokki and talking for hours, he offered to walk you home and you were really happy. He told you goodnight  and you went inside. Right after you closed the door, he rang the door bell.

    "Hye Jin." Daehyun paused and took a deep breath. "Will you go out with me?"