Final

A Wolf's Heart

It had been known that Little Red Riding Hood wasn’t given the label herself, for she had always wore red velvet given by her grandmother and  yet, she had come to love it since it fitted her perfectly. She had always been loved by everyone for her good manner, and her petite figure matched her endearing face. How lovely life was, if you were born as her.

                One day, Mother asked Little Red Riding Hood to bring breads and wine to her grandmother who lived in a cottage down the forest. Like what normal parents would do, that’s what Mother did. Walk carefully, safe go and back, and don’t talk to strangers. Little Red Riding Hood nodded, frantically grabbed the basket of deliveries and went into the forest. She was very excited, for it had been a long time since she last met her grandmother. Nothing would do, because her grandmother was always sick and wasn’t able to move.

                A long journey it was, Little Red Riding Hood was a brave kid for her age. She just walked and jumped happily, enjoying the beautiful scenery in the forest. Birds flew upon her arrival, and rabbits came towards her, breathing the scent of breads she brought. Little did she knew, a pair of eyes was glistening with hunger, capturing every moves she made.

                There were still merely some kilometers until she reached her grandmother’s cottage. Little Red Riding Hood hummed some melody to amuse herself. Suddenly, she heard some ruffles from the bush. She stopped, and step back to check on what it was. Could it be something? Curiosity kills the cat, and in front of her was a big, grey wolf with pleading eyes. Being innocent a child was, Little Red Riding Hood asked the wolf, completely forgetting Mother’s warning.

“Mind me, why were you hiding in the bushes?” Her voice softly spoke.

                The wolf’s burning lust of hunger subsided upon hearing the girl’s voice. How could it be possible? This wasn’t what it should be! As if the wolf was internally hesitating, Little Red Riding Hood came closer.

“My knowledge is no where big, nor it is enough to understand people’s feelings. I guess you are hungry, but pardon me as I only have some breads and wine with me, to send to my grandmother who is waiting in a cottage some more walks ahead from here.”  

                The wolf was literally taken aback by her words. How could a little girl spoke so fine? Yet so gentle and wise despite her age? The wolf couldn’t took it, a half side of him told to devour the girl in a mouthful, but the other side told him to keep an eye on her, for there were some pack of wolves like him, around searching for prey. The wolf quickly ran away into the dark forest, leaving Little Red Riding Hood behind.

                 Little Red Riding Hood was shocked by the fast moves, but continued walking anyway. The sky was turning orange, slowly, and the Sun began to fall. She sped her walks, and hurried to her grandmother’s cottage as she realized everything was going dark. She walked and slowly it became some ran, she heard footsteps. As she looked back, so many pair of eyes shimmering in orange-dark sunset running after her, and she thought, those wolves were going to eat her. Her memory jumped to where she met the wolf, and as thought it was the pack catching her. Tears started flowing down her cheeks, as she fasten her pace, she cried, “Help me!”

                 With that, a loud howl could be heard and in a swift, a big, grey wolf came besides Little Red Riding Hood. The pack of wolves stopped on their tracks, and as if they were communicating in their own languages, loud howls and growls were heard.

“What are you doing? Leave that girl alone and let us devour her!”

“Kill me and get her for yourself! I would never let any of you touch her, A BIT!”

                As if on cue, the pack started marching forward and fought the wolf. She was pushed aside and witnessed the fighting scene. What had happened? What had actually happened? Suddenly, she heard gun shots. A hunter who passed by was aiming his gun towards the wolves. Little Red Riding Hood was glued on her spot; she was still indeed a child who was too scared. Some shots were out, as the wolves fell to Earth. Some wolves ran away, and there lied dead wolves who weren’t breathing anymore. What made her heart fell the most was, the wolf, the big, grey wolf that meant to save her, died.

She sobbed hard, as the hunter came closer. “Hey, it’s okay. Nothing’s wrong now.”

              Did the hunter understand? No he didn’t. Yet he thought Little Red Riding Hood was crying because she was scared. Watching a dead wolf body in front of her, she was terribly sad. She ran towards the dead figure and cried even louder. Why would I cry? She thought herself.

                The hunter was shocked by her moves and quickly grabbed her wrist and brought her to the cottage who he assumed where the Little Red Riding Hood was going to. As they arrived, her grandmother was surprised to see her clothes were stained with blood. Even the red velvet she wore turned a darker shade of red. She was still crying, and much to her grandmother curiosity the hunter told it all.

                In the end, it was her grandmother who comforted Little Red Riding Hood. Irony to what it supposed to be. Although her cry had subsided, she still couldn’t stop herself from little sobbing. As she was slowly driven to sleep, the memories of meeting eyes with the wolf lingered. Who would’ve thought, the pair of eyes that was meant to kill, hopelessly turned into love? Who would have understood a wolf’s heart anyway?

 


Grammatically edited, lmao XD