Leaders

Leaders' Frustrations

He was supposed to lead the group but he always ended up failing. He was supposed to be their strong pillar, yet he was crumbling like sandcastles. He was supposed to be the eldest, yet he was never taken seriously. He was supposed to be their leader, but he can’t fulfill his duties.



There he was on his own little world, sitting on one empty spot by the dorm rooftop and smoking his cigarette, a stress reliever in his frustrated daily life.



“I figured you’ll be here.” A voice brought him back to reality and he smiled placidly. “Hold on, I’ll finish this.” He said and the other nodded and walked to the other side of the rooftop. He hurriedly finished his stick and ran to the person seated on one of the benches set there for tenants.



“Hey Gyu, What’s up?” He said as he sat next to him and Sunggyu smiled then sighed. “The merger Jinki.” Sunggyu replied and Jinki frowned. “Been bothering you too Gyu?” Jinki asked and the older nodded. “I just feel bad about it Jinki, I know our CEO meant well but I just don’t like it.” Sunggyu confessed and Jinki nodded. “I know what you mean.” Jinki replied and gave him a gentle smile. “I don’t hate SME, let me get that straight.” Sunggyu said and Jinki chuckled. “Of course I know that you don’t. If you do then you’ve forbidden Woohyun from being friends with Key.” Jinki said and Sunggyu nodded.



“What are you afraid of the merger Sunggyu?” Jinki asked and Sunggyu looked at him with a grim expression. “Losing everything.” He said and Jinki can feel the fear in Sunggyu’s words. “I’m afraid that Infinite will lose everything that we’ve worked hard for in the past 3 years.” Sunggyu said, looking out into the blue sky. “You’re too pessimistic Sunggyu!” Jinki said then sighed; he too looked at the blue sky.



 “But what if the Inspirits convert to Exotics because we are technically one company now?” Sunggyu suddenly asked and Jinki sighed heavily before answering. "You're doubting Inspirits' loyalty?" Jinki asked and Sunggyu shook his head. "I'm not doubting them, I'm doubting my self!" Sunggyu revealed. “You are a great leader Gyu, leading Infinite to where you are now is no small task. I’m sure you can do well even with the merger. ” Jinki said and Sunggyu mumbled his thanks. "And don't doubt Inspirits or yourself. Besides you're making one of your chinGYU  sad" Jinki said which made Sunggyu smile a bit wider. "Seriously Jinki! Oh well You're making one MVP happy with your words!" Sunggyu commented then silenced dawn on them.



“I’m not sure if what I’ll be saying can actually help you.” Jinki said, eyes darting to his hands. Sunggyu looked at him and smiled. “I’m sure it’ll help.” Sunggyu replied and Jinki gave him a small smile.



“Well, how can I put it? You see, the idea of the merger is really good for Infinite since you’ll be global stars, the funding of SM C&C can boost Woollim’s financial capability to promote you internationally.” Jinki started. “But Woollim can also do that without SM C&C’s help.” Sunggyu said softly and Jinki nodded.



“I know your CEO meant well with the merger and I was thinking; if Woollim became SME’s subsidiary company, then perhaps we can get good quality Music Videos and not some boxed MV. I really like BTD and 60 seconds. Pretty good MV’s” Jinki said and Sunggyu chuckled then thanked him again.



“I also thought that with the merger, SHINee and Infinite will get closer than before and perhaps more crossover fic will surface and we get to do more variety together. I was hoping for more ONGYU fics by the way.” Jinki continued and Sunggyu burst out laughing. “OnGyu? Really?” Sunggyu asked and Jinki nodded. “It’s a lesser known pairing but to a few fangirls, it does exist. But it doesn’t have to be a romantic type of OTP.” Jinki replied and Sunggyu smiled while nodding, eyes were disappearing into thin lines.



“But Gyu, I fear that with the merger, SME might try to bring Infinite down. With EXO as the new group they are promoting and Infinite’s popularity is increasing, I just thought that SME’s trying to make EXO more popular by bringing down the competition. In all honesty, I shouldn’t feel and think this way because they are family. But I can’t help it.” Jinki confessed and Sunggyu felt the hurt in Jinki’s words.



“Jinki, tell me the truth. Are you worrying for Infinite or for SHINee?” Sunggyu asked and Jinki sighed. “Both.” Jinki replied and Sunggyu smiled. “I don’t hold grudges Jinki, but I kinda feel the same.” Sunggyu replied.



“I just don’t want Infinite to experience what Super Junior and SHINee are experiencing right now. Even f(x) is suffering and as their sunbae, I feel that I am lacking” Jinki confessed and Sunggyu patted him on his shoulder. “Don’t be like that Jinki! You are the best Leader SHINee can ever have.” Sunggyu tried to cheer him up. “And you’re Infinite’s best leader!” Jinki replied, giving him a small smile.



“I’ve been your Sunbae Gyu and you know how we work. When we were rookies, Super Junior sunbae-nim was there to guide and support us. I’m grateful to them and I reminded myself and my members that we should always work together and respect our hyungs. SHINee wasn’t meant to replace Super Junior; we were their ‘love child’ and it will stay that way.” The SHINee leader said. “It’s really sad that I see fans turn their backs on their fandom for a newer and younger group.” Jinki added. “I feel your pain. Ryeowook hyung mentioned that once during IS2. He’s such an umma” Sunggyu stated. “I just hope that Woollim is prepared to fight for you because I’m sure it’ll be a tough competition from now on; it’s now Infinite vs EXO while SHINee has been reduced to a mere group they can promote when they have time.” Jinki said and Sunggyu shook his head vigorously. “No! No! NO! Infinite is not at par with EXO, they are not our rivals! Teen top can be considered as our rivals but in our hearts, SHINee is the definition of strict but friendly competition.” Sunggyu said and it made Jinki smile.



“Gyu, just promise me that no matter what happens, don’t give up and keep Infinite together.” Jinki said and Sunggyu looked at him with a worried look. “Why are you asking me to do that Jinki? IS SHINee…” Sunggyu asked and Jinki shook his head. “I’m not giving up, 5 years down the road and I’m not throwing it all away just because our CEO favors one group over the other. I’m not gonna make Ryeowook hyung cry his eyes out because his baby is giving up that easily. I'll be like Leeteuk hyung and prove to them that SHINee can do well despite the hurdles and the setbacks.” Jinki said and Sunggyu smiled then hugged him, taking Jinki by surprise.



“I thought you’re giving up!” Sunggyu said and Jinki laughed at the adorable Infinite leader. “You’re too cute Sunggyu.” Jinki commented and Sunggyu broke the embrace and pouted at the SHINee leader. “And you’re a mean tofu!” Sunggyu answered. “I don’t want to burden Ryeowook hyung. He’s been through a lot already, supporting Henry when he was starting and protecting him from the 13 campaign; it was rather tough.” Jinki said and Sunggyu agreed. “But Henry did not give up and in the end; he’s debuted as a solo artist!” Sunggyu added. “But Henry is still SJ’s baby. I commend his loyalty to his brothers and the support SJ has been giving him; it’s what you call true family.” Jinki revealed, making Sunggyu smile. “But SJ sunbae-nim considers SHINee as their ‘love child' so you are part of their extended family too right?” Sunggyu asked and Jinki nodded


“I wonder if the 89 line special would materialize now that we are under the same management.” Jinki wondered out loud and Sunggyu nodded. “Well Henry’s been dying to perform with us. He’s pushing this idea since forever.” Sunggyu added and Jinki smiled. “I bet Ryeowook hyung is helping Henry out with a plan. By the way, I know that Infinite won’t be included in SM Town concerts but would you like to join the Wook line?” Jinki asked and Sunggyu was a bit confused. “Wook line?” Sunggyu asked.




“yeah, Ryeowook hyung has been trying to create a mini group much like Kyu-hyung has his own maknae line and Hee hyung with his Hee-line.” Jinki answered and Sunggyu nodded. “That’s great, who’s joining?” Sunggyu asked and Jinki smiled. “89 line and probably Luna, maybe Sooyoung too.” Jinki said and Sunggyu nodded. “Luna, aren’t you an OTP?” Sunggyu asked and Jinki nodded. “We are good friends so don’t push it. She’s a great singer and I hope you two can share a duet.” Jinki said and Sunggyu got excited. “It’ll be awesome if that came true.” Sunggyu said.





“And perhaps Dongwoo can join the Dino family with Amber, Jjong and Donghae hyung. Sungjong can join Heechul hyung, Sungmin hyung, Shindong hyung, Taemin and Key and they can cover girl groups. Myungsoo can join the Visual Photography club and..” Jinki stated. “Visual Photography club?” Sunggyu asked and Jinki nodded. “Siwon hyung and Minho. They are both visuals and good at photography. Myungsoo’s into photography right?” Jinki said and Sunggyu was ecstatic with the idea. “Yeah that’ll be wonderful! They are very good on and off cam!” Sunggyu said and the two laughed.



Then they sat in silence and watched the sunset. It was picturesque and it was as beautiful as seeing a light filled stadium. Then it happened, Sunggyu’s stomach growled and Jinki burst out laughing; Sunggyu was so embarrassed that he looked like a cute hamster. “Wanna grab some chicken?” Jinki offered and the hamster nodded. They walked down the stairs and got into Jinki’s car. “Your treat?” Sunggyu asked and Jinki smiled as he stepped on the gas. “Sure, it’s a date!” Jinki remarked and Sunggyu burst out laughing. “We should really find girlfriends soon Jinki, or else we’ll end up dating each other.” Sunggyu commented and Jinki smiled as he made a turn. “And I thought your girlfriend’s name was INSPIRIT?” Jinki answered and Sunggyu blushed then laughed “Senior moments of grandpa Gyu.” He said and they both ended up laughing at themselves.

 


a/N: It’s such a nonsense.. And I told you that this is fiction and is not intended to raise a fanwar. I don’t know how Onew and Sunggyu thinks but I just feel like writing this~

Anyway I hope ONGYU can get more interaction with the merger and 89 Line will surface (I love the trio so much and if I don’t ship Henwook, I’ll ship HenOnGyu XD)