Final

Torpe

----------

 

Sooyoung ran breathlessly down the corridor with her bag swing carelessly on her shoulder, heading to her locker. It was another Monday, another college day, and she was late for class. Again. For the umpteenth time. There was no one along the corridor, she noted, as she was 100,000% sure that all of the students were in their classes already. It was near the end of the semester, which means finals were near, and there she was, running and 30 minutes late for a super important class.

Finally she reached her locker and opened the padlock noisily while trying hard to catch her breath. She opened her locker and her eyes widened.

Inside her locker was – well, other than her books– a cup of Starbucks’ Americano, takeaway, and a sticky note pasted to it. She took the cup, “The coffee is still warm,” she mumbled, and read the note. The handwriting was neat, and it was written in blue, as always.

 

“Can you give me directions to your heart?

I’ve seemed to have lost myself in your eyes.

 

Hope you’ll have a nice day, Choi Sooyoung.

 

-L-

 

 

P.S.: Don’t force yourself to run to be on time for class.

You’re not that pretty when you’re sweating.

 

Okay I was just joking. Now run.”

 

 

She giggled upon reading the note. It was another day, another cup of coffee, and another sweet note from that person. She took a sip of the coffee and smiled. Man, that coffee, and the note, were mood boosters for sure.

 

----------

 

Sooyoung was eating her french fries when suddenly she remembered this morning’s note and giggled. Apparently her giggle didn’t go unnoticed by her friends as they were sitting next to her.

“Hey Choi,” Yuri nudged her and Sooyoung raised her head.

“What?”

Yuri sent her a teasing grin, “Is it that L a.k.a Lee-ahjussi again?”

“What ahjussi?” Sooyoung wrinkled her forehead, pretended to have no clues of what Yuri was talking about.

“It’s not an ahjussi, Yul,” Hyoyeon butted in and Sooyoung shifted her head to face Hyoyeon when the blonde among the two continued, “But it’s an ahjumma. Lee-ahjumoni. Right, Sooyoung?” Hyoyeon wriggled her eyebrows.

“Unnie!” A soft voice chimed in all three shifted their heads to face the youngest among them, “It’s not an ahjussi or even, ahjumma! It’s Sooyoung unnie’s secret admirer again,” Yoona sighed dreamily, “Isn’t he sweet, sending her sweet notes every day, with her favorite coffee and other random gifts, and put them inside her locker? It’s almost three months already!”

“Yoong,” Yuri rolled her eyes, “I know that the person is this lanky girl’s,” she pointed at Sooyoung, “secret admirer. But secret admirers are not always your prince charming, you know?”

Yoona puffed her cheeks, “I’m sure that whoever the person is, he is madly in love with Sooyoung unnie and he is someone who is close to her. But he is just too shy to talk to her, that’s why all he can do is sending those things,” Yoona concluded matter-of-factly and a proud smile was formed on her face.

“Lee-ahjussi?” Yuri gave Sooyoung a questioning look, “Do you know an ahjussi with a surname Lee, eh, Choi?”

“We don’t even know whether his name starts with Lee or not, Yuri unnie,” Yoona explained patiently, “It could be… anything. His name. Like… Leo, Luther, Lambert, Lance, Lawrence, or even Ladislaus…”

Hyoyeon gave Yoona a flabbergasted look, “Honey, you’re just too…” She stopped for a split second to figure out the right word, “hopelessly romantic,” Hyoyeon sighed.

Sooyoung smacked Hyoyeon’s shoulder, “Hey, let her be. She is just… making a sweet scenario for my dull love life and I love you for doing that, Yoong,” Sooyoung sent Yoona flying kisses and the younger girl grinned.

“It would be awesome if a handsome blue-eyed Caucasian guy named Ladislaus who sends me these…” Sooyoung continued and giggled.

Yuri groaned, “I’m sure the one who sends you those mushy things every day is just an ahjussi who thinks that you’re his one long-lost daughter.”

“Or a plain bored ahjumma,” Hyoyeon continued and laughed.

“Don’t listen to them, unnie,” Yoona said to Sooyoung and gave the other two deadly glares, “They are just jealous of you.”

Yuri and Hyoyeon replied with loud snorts.

 

----------

 

Sooyoung twirled around her bedroom while reading the newest notes on her hand. mumbled the message again and she giggled. She finally seated herself on top of her bed, still giggling. The note she received today was as memorable as always.

Sooyoung remembered when she received the gift for the very first time. She got a newly-released book, the one that she wanted to have so much, with a note, saying that “she-was-a-gift-to-that-person-so-that-person-decided-to-give-her-something-in-return”. She knew that she should’ve freaked out when she found out that someone was able to open her locker. She was freaking out during the first few days of receiving those gifts; thinking that the person who gave it was a freak stalker, or a ert, or… anything bad, name it. She even changed her padlock password into a much more difficult number combination. Her birthday. It was difficult, right?

…Well, it was way better than her previous password, which was “123456”.

…Oh she was just not too good in memorizing number combinations.

But then the person was able to figure out her password again and put their gifts inside her locker again. So Sooyoung decided to give up and started to receive those gifts… happily. She did feel happy upon receiving those gifts and sweet notes. She was a girl in the first place; who wouldn’t?

And then she started to feel warm and giddy inside each time she received something. It was just too sweet to happen in real life. She knew it very well since she was a huge fan of romantic movies. She would never expect that something as romantic as that could happen to her.

Okay, back to present time. Sooyoung reached for her bag and pulled out her writing notebook. She carefully opened it only to reveal other notes from the mysterious person pasted on the pages of it. She treasured each and every note so much thus she decided to keep them.

She pasted the newest note to a page of that notebook and grinned satisfactorily. She reread it once again and she felt that her heart was beating faster. She placed a hand on her chest and closed her eyes. A beautiful smile then was formed on her lips.

“Who are you?” She mumbled softly, her gaze was locked to the notes as she trailed her index finger on the handwriting.

She didn’t even know who sent those things yet her heart fluttered when she was thinking of it.

Pretty weird, eh?

 

----------

 

Sooyoung was looking at the teddy bear mobile phone chain with longing clear on her face. She was hanging out with Hyoyeon, Yuri, and Yoona after class at a mall near their campus to find something to eat when they spotted a new store selling teddy bear accessories. Yoona and Sooyoung went all excited and entered the store with no hesitation, while Yuri and Hyoyeon were wearing this what-are-you-two-stupids-doing-here-oh-I’m-so-not-interested-in-those-stupid-things expression.

The store was really crowded with customers; most of them were their campus-mates. Sooyoung bumped into a few of them and they exchanged smiles. She dragged Hyoyeon to accompany her and when she squealed upon finding those cute mobile phone chains, Hyoyeon quickly shook her head in disapproval.

“You’re not going to buy that, aren’t you?” Hyoyeon threw her a look and pointed at the chains.

Sooyoung giggled and took the teddy-bear-with-the-piano chain, “What if I am?”

“Choi Sooyoung, you’re about to turn 23. You’re not freaking… 13 or something.” Hyoyeon gave Sooyoung a raise of her eyebrows.

Sooyoung pouted, “What’s wrong with almost being 23 and having a cute teddy bear chain?”

“Because that’s just so wrong, Choi,” Yuri answered, showing up out of nowhere, “Now where’s Yoong? It’s too stuffy in here! Let’s go and grab something to eat!”

 

----------

 

Sooyoung walked casually down the corridor. She wasn’t late for class that day and a smug smile was plastered on her face. She threw a glimpse at her wristwatch and noted that she still had 15 minutes before class started. She headed to her locker, mumbling something about taking her books, when actually she was excited, wondering what kind of things she would find inside her locker for today.

It was her special day.

It was her birthday.

She took a deep breath as she stood in front of her locker and opened it.

She opened the locker in anticipation when she found… Nothing.

None.

Nada.

Nothing.

She blinked her eyes a few times, well, maybe her eyes were playing tricks on her, but no. Still, she found nothing.

Sooyoung sighed in disappointment, “So the person doesn’t know that today is my birthday?” She mumbled and pouted. Her shoulders felt heavy all of a sudden and for heaven’s sake, she didn’t know what was happening to her.

And that was when she found that note. A small note was slipped in between her books. Her eyes widened in anticipation as she swiftly took the note and read.

 

“Um… hello.

So I’m writing an essay on the beautiful things in life and…

I was wondering if I could interview you.

 

If you’re answering yes, could you meet me today, lunch time?

Bench number 2 at the back garden sounds great to do an interview, right?

 

See you, Choi Sooyoung.

 

-L-

 

 

P.S.: I’m sorry for choosing lunch time for our meeting.

Blame you for having a full day class today.”

 

Sooyoung went speechless.

 

----------

 

Sooyoung sat on the promised bench-number-two all by herself for… 3 minutes and 41 seconds, and she was still counting. She shifted her head to see if there was someone there but she spotted none. She sighed, maybe someone was pulling a prank on her. Maybe Yuri and Hyoyeon were right. Maybe there were no such things… romantic things that would happen to her. Maybe she put her expectations too high. Maybe…

Excuse me.”

A soft voice was heard and Sooyoung quickly stood up and face the… guy. Sooyoung blinked her eyes rapidly and studied his face. Despite his child-like look, Sooyoung was sure that he was probably about her age and… so good looking, she noted. Sooyoung blushed.

He smiled sheepishly at her, “Um… So you’re coming, Choi Sooyoung. Thank you.”

Sooyoung nodded awkwardly, “Y-yes.” No. She didn’t just stutter, did she?

He rubbed the back of his neck, “So I… guess, you don’t know me, right?”

Sooyoung nodded again in silence and the guy chuckled. He reached his hand to gesture her for a handshake and Sooyoung softly took his hand, “My name is Luhan. I’m the one who… For the last three months… You know… Bugging you and… Freaking you out…” He shrugged and looked a bit nervous, “Sorry for that.”

“You’re L? LuHan?” She repeated, the name sounds familiar for her ears, “Luhan…” She wrinkled her forehead, busy thinking and totally forgot that she hadn’t released his hand.

She studied his face again, “Have we ever met before?”

He smiled again and Sooyoung felt a weird sensation on her tummy, “I sneaked into your class once or twice,” he stopped for a split second, “Or maybe more. I lost count, to be honest.”

Sooyoung giggled, her eyes fell to their still entwined hands and she quickly pulled her hand away in embarrassment. Her heart was beating rapidly.

Luhan looked a bit nervous when he handed her a pretty paper bag, “Well I… I just wanted to say… Happy 22nd birthday, Choi Sooyoung.” He smiled oh so charmingly and that just caught Sooyoung off-guard.

Sooyoung didn’t respond since she had no idea on what to do during those kinds of situations. She was positive that her cheeks were burning when she accepted that present from him and her brain didn’t seem to function at that time.

It seemed like the world had stopped turning.

They stayed awkwardly silent for a few moments when Luhan cleared his throat to break the ice, “So…”

Still, Sooyoung didn’t respond. She was just standing there and staring at her nails, as if those nails were the most interesting thing in this world.

Luhan let out a barely audible sigh, “I’m sorry for taking your lunch time Sooyoung. I really do. I know that you cherish eating more than anything in this world, so… I… I think I better go now.”

Sooyoung finally raised her head and looked at his face. She saw that he was wearing a kind of… sad smile?

“See you, Choi Sooyoung,” He turned around and started to walk away. Sooyoung didn’t realize what was happening until he was a few meters away from her. She shook her head to get herself back to her senses and took a quick glance at the content of the paper bag. She gasped.

He gave her a bouquet of red roses and a small teddy bear.

Sooyoung smiled. Her heart was beating, fast. She knew exactly what to do.

Carefully putting the paper bag on the bench, she quickly grabbed her bag and ran to him.

“Luhan! Wait!” She shouted.

He stopped walking and she quickly made her way beside him. Running was never her forte, thus she found herself panting for air.

He gave her a worried look, “Are you okay?”

She replied with a small smile, “There… There is something I want to show you.”

She opened her bag and pulled out her writing notebook carefully. She handed it to him, “Open… it.”

He blinked his eyes a few times and opened her notebook.

His smile was wide when he found out what were the things inside it.

His notes. His handwritings. She kept them.

Luhan lifted his head to face Sooyoung, “My… Are t-these notes… Y… Y-You…” He tried to speak but his words mysteriously disappeared somewhere in his throat.

She giggled, “Yes. Oh, and I haven’t thanked you about it, Luhan.”

Sooyoung then reached for his free hand and held it gently. She looked at him straight in the eyes and smiled sweetly, “So, what about the interview you were talking about?”

Luhan chuckled, his hand squeezed hers a little, “Bench-number-two would be the perfect place to talk about that.”

 

----------

 

Sooyoung half-ran to reach her locker, she was almost late for that morning’s class yet she still had to go to her locker first to grab her books and her… other special things. Most of the students were already in their classes so the corridor was nearly empty. When she finally reached her locker, in one swift movement, she opened the padlock to her locker... Only to reveal a cup of Starbucks’ Americano, takeaway, and a sticky note pasted to it.

 

“Excuse me, Miss, can you empty your pockets?

I believe you have stolen my heart.

 

Have a wonderful day.

 

-L-

 

 

P.S.: I love you, Choi Sooyoung.”

 

 

Sooyoung giggled upon reading his note and felt that her cheeks heated. He never failed in making her to be in such state. She took her books and her coffee, and of course the note, and closed her locker afterwards.

She then turned her body around and spotted him. He was right there, standing behind her. Holding a similar cup of coffee, he flashed her a charming smile, “Good morning.”

He walked towards her and took her books from her hands, “Why are your books so heavy? Mine are not this heavy!” He protested while adjusting his backpack strap on his shoulder.

Sooyoung took a sip of her coffee and patted the crown of his head, “Good morning, talkative.”

Luhan grinned and took her hand, intertwining their fingers. Sooyoung tilted her head a little to face him and gave him a look, “Hurry, we’re going to be late.”

Luhan answered with a mischievous grin when suddenly he leaned closer and captured her lips in a soft kiss. Sooyoung closed her eyes in an instance but before she could even respond properly, he pulled away.

Smirking, he started to walk, “Come on. You said we were going to be late, right?”

Sooyoung rolled her eyes yet she followed him nonetheless, “Yeah, whatever, you talkative deer.”

Luhan laughed in response, “I’ll take that as a compliment, Choi Sooyoung.”

 

----------

 

 

 

So this is your Sooyoung/Luhan oneshot, as you requested, nurhajjah!

Happy birthday! Hope you enjoyed the present! <3 <3 <3

Oh and I probably going to post the epilogue of this story in a few days XD

Please look forward to it too :D

 

On a side note, I don’t own the pick-up lines, I googled them lol all hail Google!