My Only Love

Heartbreak

“Junnie~ shall we go for some ramen at B2ST café? We might see some of our fans too!” Tugging on Junhyung’s arm, Gikwang did his trademark eyesmile – an action that he knew his boyfriend would not be able to resist. Receiving an affirmative answer, he smiled happily up at the rapper while pulling him out of the house.

The two of them were the perfect example of a love struck couple. You wouldn’t see one without the other trailing behind. Everyone around them noted how the already bubbly dancer became even livelier, while the usually cold rapper increasingly showed affection towards Gikwang publicly. Nobody thought that such perfection could be destroyed; everyone was betting that they would never be separated. But fate sure liked to intervene, and intervene it did.

 

*2 weeks later*

 

[HEADLINES: B2ST RAPPER YONG JUNHYUNG SEEN ENTERING A HOTEL WITH FAMOUS CELEBRITY. WHAT’S GOING TO HAPPEN TO JUNKWANG?]

Eyes wide in shock, Gikwang stared at the photo of Junhyung and an actress splashed across the newspaper. Flipping frantically to the page where the article was published, he felt his heart sinking with each line he read.

[… seen walking into a hotel together…]

[… arms linked together intimately..]

[… smiling and laughing… whispering to each other…]

A sudden urge to vomit surged up his throat, and he quickly clapped a hand over his mouth. His mind and heart rebelled against each other; his head was telling him that everything was false while his heart pleaded with him to believe that Junhyung did see him as someone important. Tears burned at the back of his eyes as he struggled to keep the nausea from overwhelming him. Desperately praying that the article was simply a publicity stunt pulled by management, or that it was a case of mistaken identity, Gikwang crumpled to the ground, heart aching as he attempted to sort out the barrage of emotions that assaulted him.

*hours later*

“Bang!” The sound of the front door slamming startled Gikwang, who had been dozing by the couch as he waited for Junhyung to reach home. Pulling himself up with difficulty – his body ached with being curled in a ball for hours – Gikwang faced the surprised face of Junhyung.

“Eh! What are you still doing up Kiki? Were you waiting for me?” Smiling at the younger boy, the rapper removed his shoes before walking towards him. Leaning down to plant a kiss on the dancer’s lips, he was astonished when Gikwang jerked his face away.

“What’s this all about?” Before he could wonder about the dancer’s strange behaviour, Gikwang had already slapped the newspaper onto his chest, an accusing expression plastered on his face. Without even looking at the headlines, Junhyung could already predict more or less as to what the newspaper was talking about.

“Baby, it isn’t what you’re thinking about. We didn’t do anything at all.” Trying to pacify the obviously distraught dancer, the rapper balled up the article and tossed it aside.

“Stop lying! The article mentioned everything. How you her arm, whispered endearments into her ear. She was touching you everywhere she could!” Out of his mind with rejection and fear, Gikwang hurled the accusations at the speechless rapper.

“And you still had the nerve to come into the house acting like nothing was wrong by trying to kiss me. YOU CHEATED ON ME! And to think I was like some idiot sitting at home waiting up for you when you were outside screwing some chick. I’m such a fool,” Scrubbing at the tears on his face, Gikwang shot Junhyung a self-deprecating smile.

“And all this while, I thought you were truly in love with me. I guess I was wrong huh. Thanks for showing me just how unlovable I am, hyung.” Standing up, the dancer shuffled into his room, the sound of the door slamming shut leaving a note of finality in the now silent living room.

Eyes shining with unshed tears, Junhyung stared at the shut door, each muffled sob breaking his heart a little more. The speed at which everything unfolded hit him like a freight train, leaving him unable to do anything except to stand there dumbfounded and in heartbreak.

Sinking onto the couch, he pulled out a photo from his wallet. In the photo was the two of them, taken by a fan when they were having a concert. Staring at the photo, the tears over spilled from Junhyung’s eyes as he wondered at how everything could collapse so quickly around him. And it was all because of a few words from management.

 

*FLASHBACK*

 

Stepping into the cold and sterile office, Junhyung bowed respectfully towards the CEO of CUBE Entertainment. Taking a seat directly opposite his boss after being gestured to do so, he pondered about why he had been called to the office. The next few words had his heart shattering.

You need to break up with Gikwang.”

Shell-shocked after the announcement, he could only listen numbly as his manager explained to him about what he had to do: enter a hotel with some random famous celebrity, get their photos “sneakily” taken by paparazzi which will then be published in the newspaper, break up with Gikwang.

“You see, it’s all very simple.” His manager had ended off with that statement.

‘How could it be simple when his heart was shattering with the knowledge at having to hurt Gikwang? HOW?!’ Raging silently, Junhyung could only nod obediently when his manager asked if he understood what he had to do.

 

*Present time*

 

Looking at the photo one last time, Junhyung placed it back into his wallet, his tears still falling as he finally realised just how much he had hurt Gikwang, and how impossible it would be to gain his trust again. Walking to the shut door, he leaned on the sturdy wood and whispered:

“Mianhae Gikwang-ah, I never meant to hurt you. But for the sake of B2ST, I can only sacrifice our relationship, no matter how much it pains us. I hope that perhaps someday, you will be able to find it in your heart to forgive me, for only then will I be able to pardon myself for inflicting these wounds on you. Please, find happiness with another person, for I am simply a coward who can’t bring you to paradise. You will always be my only love.”