Imugi Basketball Team

When I was Young and Foolish

 

Jang Geun Suk got attentions when he did a jump shot. He was still a freshman but has amazing capability in playing basketball. That was according to his teammates. Because of his shot, he gathered praises from them. He was in the middle of a thank you speech when Kim Hyun Joong, a sophomore made a dunk. In a blink of eye, they forgot his jump shot and talked non-sop about Hyun Joong.

“He’s a genius, no one can beat him.”

For the past sixteen years, Anyang High School became the best basket ball team in the country. Their team was known as Imugi. Geun Suk wanted to be recognized but people’s eyes were always on Hyun Joong.

“You’re wrong, I know somebody who can beat him” said Geun suk. He didn’t want to say that but hearing praises about Hyun Joong again and again upsets him.

“Really Geun Suk, who is he, tell us!” his teammates challenged him.

Hyun Joong who also heard what he said turned to his direction.

“I wish I could say it’s me but it’s actually my trainer” declared Geun Suk. “And he isn’t a he, she’s a girl”

To Geun Suk surprised, all laughed except Hyun Joong.

“Are you out of your mind, Geun Suk, and how a girl can defeat a genius basketball player?!”

Sounds realistic, but Geun Suk was sure on what he was saying.

“Interesting!” Hyun Joong bit out. Now, he wanted to see that girl.

 

“Foolish!” shouted Geun Suk, tapping his head. He was alone in his room, thinking for solution, but no matter what he did he can’t concentrate. He remembered the face of his trainer: pretty but scary. When High School started he finally cut the tie between her. “How can I find her, why do I need to find her?” Geun Suk didn’t want to reunite with his trainer but didn’t have any choice. In able to please his teammates he should bring her. “Okay, I’ll meet her!”

 

Ding Dong!

Geun Suk pressed the doorbell.

This will be their meeting after eight months. He expected Geun Young’s loud voice.

“Yes?” responded Geun Young as she opened the door. She was wearing a pink dress with pink head band in her hair.

Geun Suk paused for a moment then apologized. “I think I got the wrong house.”

“Wait, you’re Jang Geun Suk, right?”

“Yes, are you really Moon Geun Young?”

The girl in pink nodded.

“What happened to you?” asked Geun Suk.

Geun Young invited Geun Suk inside. She prepared juice and biscuits.

“So, what brought you here?” asked Geun Young while putting juice in the glass.

“I just want to consult something…about basketball.”

Geun Young took a seat, she frowned “I’m afraid I can’t help. I don’t know anything about basketball”

“Are you kidding, you’re our coach, remember?”

Geun Young responded a sigh.

“Hey, stop joking, I’m serious” said Geun Suk. “I’m part of Imugi basketball team, the number one team in the country. You said before, you want to join this team right?” Geun Suk was trying to remind his coach but he can’t see any response. “Geun Young?” he called.

“Sorry Geun Suk, but the Geun Young you knew does no longer exist!”

Impossible, that was the perfect word to describe what was happening. Geun Suk didn’t give up.

“Before graduation, you told me about the super rookie of Imugi. The name is Kim Hyung Joong. Do you remember how much you wanted to duel him?”

“Yes, Kim Hyung Joong of Imugi. I saw him in news paper. He’s cute, I like him” said Geun Young smiling.

“Waste of time!” mumbled Geun Suk “I need to know what happened.”

 

Geun Suk bit his goodbye to checked Poi, his old group member.

“She was cured!’ said Poi.

“What do you mean?” asked Geun Suk, craving to know the truth.

 “Geun Young had a disease called Multiple personality disorder, but after graduation she undergone a therapy so she lost her alter”

“I didn’t get it. Will you please explain it again?!”

“You always hid from Geun Young that’s why you haven’t seen her real identity. The sweet girl you see a while ago, that’s the real Geun Young”

“Wait, you mean that sweet girl exist even before?”

“Yes, we used to see her”

“How about our terror coach?”

“Whenever Geun Young saw basketball, she switched identity. But after the therapy she returned to normal.”

“It can’t be!” said Geun Suk. He wanted to believe everything was just a dream.