01

How was my Mom?

An eerie silence enveloped the two people that were confined in the four white walls of a room with only a single sliding door for an opening. A dark haired male, clad in his white robe, sat across a man whose eyes were casted on the table in between them. The latter slowly looked up when a white folder was gently placed on top of the wooden furniture.

 

“Lee Howon,” the man dragged on as he blankly stared at the name plate of the man in front of him. “Doctor,” he finished as his lips spread into a lopsided smile, seemingly uninterested of the current meeting.

 

The doctor remained unfazed by the blandness of his first patient of the day and did his best to exude the right amount of enthusiasm as he greeted the man that he was scheduled to visit thrice a week. “Have you been well?”

 

The words rolled out naturally on Howon’s tongue despite feeling heavy due to the scripted tone of happiness that coated his query. It was part of the protocol on how to approach the patients of the institution for doctors to establish a good relationship upon first meeting their patient. Every time Howon would greet each patient the same way, he had to mask his real feelings. He feels it all the time: Pity.

 

Howon brought out a pen from his pocket and flipped the folder open. He browsed past the papers of his patient’s medical history and found the doctor’s log. He scanned his eyes from the top to the bottom of the document as he searched for the last entry that he made during his last visit. He was about to write the present date when the man in front of him decided to speak.

 

 “The stars were pretty last night.”

 

Howon’s grip on his pen loosened as it sank into him that his patient had decided to start a conversation. He placed the writing instrument down and had his fingers intertwined as he looked straight into the eyes of the man before him. “How did they look like?” he asked.

 

Howon examined the expressions of his patient who was obviously in search of the right words in his head. He watched how the other slanted his head while looking up the ceiling as if the answers were written on the painted concrete; how the other had his already small eyes squinted as he delved into his concentration more. A healthy reaction, he thought.

 

Howon continued to wait for the other’s description of the stars from the previous night. It was one of those nights when the stars were out as the skies were clear of clouds and the absence of the moon made the scattered night glitters stand out more and shone brightly for the world to see. He was about to give a guess to not let the conversation die in vain when the other smiled so widely as he stated how the stars looked like the last night.

 

“Ah! I know now… They were innocent.“

 

Quite puzzled at the chosen adjective, Howon repeated the word as to make sure if he had not heard his patient wrong. “Innocent?”

 

Howon raised a brow when the other rapidly nodded his head with a grin splayed across his face. His patient had turned unusually too happy and eager when in fact he was just bland a while ago.

 

“Yes, yes! They looked innocent last night.”

 

“Really? That’s nice,” Howon started, not forgetting to write on his log; Display of rarely shown highly positive behavior. “Good for you that you saw them last night,” he commended whilst writing.

 

Howon was in his thoughts when he remembered one of the most important things that he had to tell his patient. Making a last dot on the paper, closing his entry, Howon looked up and caught his patient peering over, trying to take a peak on what he was doing earlier.  The other had his forefinger and thumb twiddling his growing hair that already got onto his brows.

 

The patient continued on twiddling his brown locks, “What’s that? Homework?”

 

The dark haired doctor chuckled at the question. His patient was currently acting just like how he described the stars. He only gave the other a smile and a single nod as he had more other things to talk about than his homework. “Anyway, I’m going to introduce you to a new friend in a few minutes. Would that be okay?”

 

“New friend?”

 

This time Howon smiled wider for his patient would be having a new acquaintance and would be able to engage a conversation with a person he barely knew. It was for his patient’s social welfare after all and he was truly glad for his friend.

 

“New friend is fine… Is new friend good a person?”

 

Howon gave a reassuring smile to his patient, “Yes. You’re new friend is very kind. You know, you can teach your new friend to play the piano,” he suggested and witnessed the obvious excitement of his patient.

 

“Can I sing with new friend, too?”

 

“Of course,” Howon assured, “Do you want to prepare for your new friend?”

 

Seeing that his patient had eagerly nodded, Howon stood up and approached the door. He was going to call for a nurse to assist his patient upon their exit from the lifeless white room. Howon had the door slightly opened when he turned back and looked at his giddy patient with a probably good suggestion in mind.

 

“Let’s give yourself a haircut, okay? Sunggyu-ssi.”

 

-------------

[A/N]

Yep. I changed chapter 1 LOL But it doesn't mean that I've completely threw what I previously posted here.

It will only be moved on to the next chap, or prolly on a much later chapter.. hihi <3