The Trip

The Trip - Lee Joon

Looking forward to the three day weekend was always the highlight of this week, especially when Lee Joon was taking you out. Lee Joon and you have always been good friends and you have even tutored him on occasion, so he asked you to spend this weekend with him as a thank you for helping him. You ran to the door when the doorbell rang, filled with excitement as you opened the door. Lee Joon was dressed in a leather jacket with a white tank top underneath and jeans with his sneakers. You wore jeans and a t-shirt with sneakers as well.

“Ready?” Joon said with a smile on his face

“Always” You grabbed your purse and followed Joon to his car.

Joon started to drive through the city, showing you everywhere that he has been, what restaurants were good and others that didn’t compare, the dance studios that he has practiced in and several other places which you were astonished at. He drove you out of the city and took a scenic route, you both talked and sung and danced while you were enjoying your drive with Joon. Seeing breathtaking views for hours, Joon stopped the car on a beautiful drop off with the ocean and the forests and the city all in your view and you both took a little while to enjoy the sunset. Joon held your hand as the sunset faded, you both got in the car and drove off.

An hour later, the rain started to pour and the signs on the roads started to disappear, you began to look worried and Joon took your hand once again.

“Are we lost?” With a hesitant voice

“No, I have it all under control.” Joon was so confident that it almost convinced you that he was lying. Joon started to slow down on the roads and he looked around frantically.

“You are scaring me, what is going on?” You demanded

“Well, I am running out of gas and I am trying to find something.”

“What are you trying to find?” You started to change your tone

“Something” Joon paused as he exited the paved roads and went onto a dirt, tree lined road that seemed to lead nowhere. After ten or so minutes, “Well, I guess this will have to do.”

Joon parked his car and let you out, you looked at the small huts that were surrounding you, a thunder struck and you and Joon ran into the biggest hut. A nice man welcomed you and Joon talked to him while you admired the termite eaten wood and the smokey atmosphere. Joon took your hand and led you to a cabin. It was a one bedroom open floor plan hut, with a gas stove that looked like it hadn’t been used in a century or two and a bed and a table.

“Is this what your had planned?” You started to get angry

“Nope.” Joon sounding really definite, “But it has become my plan.”

“Optimism. Your new strategy?”

“Nope. I just feel like it.”

You started rummaging through the cabinets with Joon to try to find something to eat. Joon found a little bag of hot cocoa and he thought that he would heat it up in the pan that you found. He tried to turn on the stove but then the stove wouldn’t light, Joon turned the gas level higher and higher until this high pitched noise screeched through the air. Joon walked calmly over to the stove and tried to turn the gas level down but the nob was stuck, still no flames but the smell of gas rested in the hut as you stood by the table.

In a split moment a blast was heard and the next thing you know, you were on the ground in a ball with Joon on top of you. You tried to wiggle free, when another blast from the stove, you clenched onto Joon with all of your might. You started to loose consciousness so did Joon.

When Joon regained consciousness he started to release his grip on you and you flattened out on the floor, dirt and dust was everywhere. You still were unconscious and gas was still spewing everwhere. Joon picked you up, like he would with a young kid and drug you out of the house, he sat you down on the ground in front of the hut. Joon started to shake you but you didn’t move so he started mouth to mouth resuscitation on you, you began to regain consciousness, you stared up at Joon and he stared down at you. You couldn’t move, you felt your hear skip a beat as he smiled at you, and you smiled back. He stood up and lifted you back into the upright position. As soon as you were back on your feet the manager barged into your hut and yelled in Korean while pointing out. Joon communicated with the man as he took your hand and threw you out of the hut, Joon grabbed your stuff and was thrown out as well. Joon helped you up from the ground once again and urging you towards the car. The manager lit a cigarette and threw that match on the ground, the hut lit up like a bon fire. The manager started cursing and Joon signaled you to go into the woods, he was right behind you. You both watched from the shadows of the surrounding trees as the fire department showed up and interrogated Joon’s car. Joon pushed you further and further into the forest until you both found a little spot where you could set up camp. You collapsed on the ground from exhaustion. Joon placed your things by you and engulfed you in a hug.

“I will be right back I have to find some wood to start a fire.” you nodded at him and glanced over the stuff that he had salvaged. Your purse, his keys, the hot cocoa packet, and a tin water bottle. When Joon got back he used his jacket as a log holder and put some in his arms as well. He placed all of the wood down and looked at you. You had started to clear a place for him to make a fire.

“What are we going to make the fire with?” You posed

“On my keys I have a little spark lighter, so all we need is something to help it spark.”

“Like a rock?” Joon nodded and found a rock that helped spark the fire. In no time you had a fire, Joon used the water bottle to heat up rain water and put the packet of hot cocoa in there.

“I am so cold.” you were still soaked from the earlier rain. Joon scooted over by you ans took off his coat and wrapped it around you. “You don’t need to do this?”

“Why not? You are cold and I have been working. I will be fine.” Joon flashed a smile before handing you the water bottle filled with hot cocoa. “This should help too.” you took a sip and held it soaking in the warmth through your palms. Joon sat next to you once again and he wrapped his long, dirty, muscular arms around arm around you as you leaned into his shoulder. He took the hot cocoa from you and he took a couple of sips, then gave it back.

“Your so beautiful” Joon commented catching you off guard you just stared at him.

“No” you said frantically trying to deny it.

“Yes, your cute little eyes and your hair that falls perfectly on your face… just beautiful.”

“We are covered in dust, dirt, sweat and we are outside in the cold and you are telling me that I am beautiful.” You were truing to bring him back to reality.

“You are, you just have to look on the inside and under all of that dust, dirt, and sweat to see it.” Joon drug his fingers across your cheek, causing you to blush. “I wouldn’t want to be with anybody else.”

Both of you sat there for a while, with the fire’s glow illuminating on your faces. Just enjoying each others presence.

“Thank you” you managed to squeak out. Joon smiled at you and kissed your forehead.

“For what?”

“For everything that you have done for me so far. I am indebted to you.”

“Oh, I was just doing what I had to, to keep you safe.” Joon started to get really quite

“You didn’t have to though.”

“I wanted to… I couldn’t afford to loose you, ________.” He paused as you looked up to him with understanding eyes. “If I lost you, I too would be lost and I would never be able to face anyone again. I love you, _______. That is why I spent so much time with you. I couldn’t live without you. _________” You both got really quite and you kissed his cheek and snuggled into his shoulder more. “You should rest.” Joon laid down and you laid on his chest, still engulfed in his hug.

“I love you too” you whispered into his ear, a smile beamed on his face as you kissed him and fell into a deep sleep.

When you woke up Joon was already awake, but still in the same position he had been in the night before.

“I am glad that I got lost with you.” You sat up with Joon’s jacket still on your shoulders.

“I wouldn’t have it any other way” Joon sat up and embraced you in a kiss that set your mind at rest. It was the most beautiful kiss that you had ever experienced.