..

Language barriers and how to break them (aka leave it to Jongdae)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's a relatively quite Tuesday morning, Baekhyun is sweeping the counter while occasionally indulging in Chanyeol's mathematical crisis, when a tall, blonde, athletic guy steps into the coffee shop with a messenger bag and the look of someone who hasn't had the best morning of his life.

While the man walks over to the counter, Baekhyun feels like one of those background character of a commercial, because the man looks like he just came out from the last GQ cover, even (or especially) with his blond hair ruffled like he has just rolled out of bed. Charm is one of those things one has or doesn't have and this man has plenty enough to make Baekhyun feel even smaller. He's almost plastic-perfect, without the plastic part, because he is actually made of flesh. Like Baekhyun. Though Baekhyun's legs would look like wooden chops into those khakis and not miles long.

He smiles when the man reaches the counter and tries his best not to stare at those furrowed brows that seem to be looking at him menacingly.

 

«Good morning, what can I get you?» Baekhyun chirps, trying to sound less intimidated than he feels when the man seems to curse under his breath and looks at the menu like he is about to set it on fire just by staring at it hard enough.

 

«I...» the man says tentatively and with a very strong accent, huffing in discomfort, clearly displeased with how the sound came out. «Coffee» the man says then in perfect English.

 

«Coffee?» he repeats with a terrible accent, that sounds all the more wrong after the man repeats the word pointing at the menu over the coffee machine.

 

«To go» the man says then points to himself and then to the door, mimicking two legs walking with his first two fingers.

 

«You want it to go» Bakehyun nods and the man face lights up with a small smile. Baekhyun is a bit taken aback, but smiles anyway.

 

The tall stranger then motions him to wait and puffs out his cheeks probably trying to find the right words, or rather the right gestures to explain himself to Baekhyun, because next thing he knows the guy is gesturing wildly with his hands and Baekhyun is trying not to look too dumb while he half-shouts the first words that come to his mind.

 

«Spray?» he says and the man keeps agitating his right hand and Baekhyun curses his stingy boss for not getting illustrated menus, but then has an illumination. «Whipped cream?»

 

The man nods enthusiastically and Baekhyun finds that smile endearingly cute.

 

«Coffee to go with whipped cream?»

 

«Milk» the man says then, and his lips are careful around the syllables.

 

When Baekhyun nods he smiles, clearly pleased with himself.

 

«Coming right away» Baekhyun says drumming lightly his fingers over the counter trying not to stare too much at the man's face.

 

After paying the man shoots Baekhyun another smile, and heads to the door. Baekhyun can almost hear the jingle of the commercial starting to play and then a deep manly voice reciting the usual catchy phrase...

 

«That was a fine » says Chanyeol, ungracefully plopping himself on the high chair at the counter.

 

«Shut up, Chanyeol» Baekhyun deadpans, frowning upon being dragged out of his little reverie.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun is about to swat Chanyeol with a washcloth, for trying to get his filthy hands on the chocolate sprinkles jar, when the man steps in the shop again, collarbones dangerously exposed by a low white v-neck and his hair perfectly hand styled. Baekhyun smiles going back behind the counter while Chanyeol is making weird suggestive faces and winking occasionally. Talking about embarrassing best friends.

Baekhyun sighs and smiles hoping that his handsome face will be enough to distract the man from the tall troll sitting at the counter.

 

«Good morning» he says tentatively in English, the man seems pleased and his smile widens showing rosy gums.

 

«Good morning» the man says back and Baekhyun feels like he is thirteen and awkwardly talking to his first French summer crush. He hopes he won't dump anything on that prim white shirt at least.

 

«Coffee?» he asks after stalling a bit.

 

«Iced-coffee» the man says and agitates his hand and Baekhyun smiles.

 

«Whipped cream?»

 

«Thank you» the man says in Korean, and his accent can be barely recognized.

 

«To go?» he asks pointing to the door. The man nods and Baekhyun turns to prepare his order.

 

Baekhyun wonders if it would be inappropriate to ask the man's name, while he silently mouths the only two English sentences he hasn't learned from pop songs, carefully preparing the man's drink. It's just that referring to him in his mind as 'the handsome stranger' is weird, more so if the handsome stranger is going to come back. Baekhyun likes to set up mindless conversation with his clients while he prepares coffee, especially with those who come back, it's something he does with ease and a good help of eye smiles.

 

In the end though he just hands the man his coffee and tries out a little «Have a nice day» he learned from a cereal commercial in between the reruns of Coffee Prince.

 

Handsome Stranger rewards him with a smile. «Thank you» he says, in English, before strutting towards the door and disappearing a moment after in the crowd of the late morning.

 

«I think...» Chanyeol begins and the undertone screams DANGER!!!.

 

«Please spare me» he deadpans and Chanyeol puts down his finger and goes back to his notes with a silly smile.

 

 

 

 

 

They say third time is charm and Baekhyun believes it. So when the stranger comes back two days after wearing washed jeans and a dark gray t-shirt that underlines his thin waist Baehyun thinks this is his moment. Jongdae, from where he is refilling a costumer at the other end of the counter, sends him a look.

 

Is that him?

 

Baekhyun nods and Jongdae looks pleased.

 

Handsome Stranger smiles leaning on the counter near the register and Baekhyun rehearses the two very helpful sentences he has prepared waiting for this moment. Handsome Stranger, though, precedes him.

 

«I want Mocha with whipped cream, please, thank you» Handsome Stranger says in heavy accented Korean, looking very pleased with himself. Baekhyun is sure somewhere between staring at the man's face and keeping his heart from climbing up his trachea, he should breath.

 

«To go?» he stutters. He has yet to decide if he likes more Handsome Stranger's English accent or Korean.

 

Handsome Stranger shakes his head and points to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter