you know it's frightening

[muffled music in the distance]

 

The first time she sees him, her mind is a mess and there are deadlines tattooed onto her skin and she's trembling. Trembling. Trembling. She's trembling so hard because what else can she do? Nothing. She's powerless for now, so she trembles in fear and apprehension and hatred and anger. So many emotions shoving themselves into her petite frame. So many thoughts whizzing through her brain. The people that pass by mean nothing and the faces they give her mean nothing and nothing means anything anymore.

Everything around her is muffled and she is left with her own thoughts, amplified by the increasing mayhem building inside her mind.

It's like being inside a fish bowl. That's what it feels like. Where everything seems faraway even though it's so close because everything is separated by a glass. She can't break through.

"Hey. Hey!"

She is stopped by a hand on her shoulder. Firm. Frightening. Her eyes go wide and land on a face she can't exactly name at the moment. She's still in a fish bowl. Her breath fogging up the glass. Nothing to make out clearly.

"You could at least say excuse me when you're shoving your way through the hallway like a wild animal."

She doesn't know who it is, but she doesn't like them. Lets a scowl take over her face. Sneers. Rips out of the guy's grasp and turns away.

"You could at least mind your own business."

She's stopped by that stupid hand again. More firm. More frightening.

"It is my business when you bump into me without saying sorry!"