The Incident

A Musician's Dream Or Nightmare?

No One's POV

 

Her fingers slid skillfully along the strings of her violin, the sweet tune softly fading to silence as she finished her song. A bright smile elated the ten year old's face as applause broke out in the auditorium she was playing in. She walked down the stage, where the audience showered her with compliments on her extraordinary skills. But, they were not what she wanted to hear from. Her eyes scanned the crowd, a small pout visible on her face, but immediately changed into a grin when she spotted him.

She waved at him, calling his name. She wove through the crowd, just to get to him-to hear his opinion. Because to her, what he thought meant everything in the world to her.

"What did you think of my performance?" She was panting, a little out of breath.

She expected him to like it. After all, she dedicated the entire song to him; she put every ounce of concentration into it-just to please him. Of course, there was the fact that she liked him. It wasn't surprising at all. He was her best friend and he played the violin, just like her.

She was certain that he would love it, but she didn't realize that what he would say would shatter her fragile heart.

He whirled around and glared at her, stopping her cold. 

"It was horrible. I hated it. I don't understand why anyone would lie the trash you play. You have no talent," he sneered meanly. 

She simply stared at him, mouth agape. Why did he say such things? Who was this boy who said such cruel things to her?

"B-but, why would the people clap for me?" She was close to tears.

"They did it out of pity for you. They feel sorry for you," he answered.

"And why would they compliment me?" She was a little angry now.

"They're just lying," he smoothly replied.

Angry tears formed at her eyes. "You're the liar! You're lying! Why would you say such mean things?! Who are you? Where is the boy who says only kind things? Where is the boy who picked me up when I fell down? Where is the boy who dried my tears when I cried? Where's...my best friend?" she whispered, the tears she couldn't contain anymore, falling down her face. 

A little pang of pain went through the boy's heart to see his friend crying because of him, but he ignored it.

She turned away and ran, not once looking back.

She didn't know where she was going. She just ran. After a while, when her lungs ran out of air, she stopped. He hadn't come after her, much to her disappointment. She didn't know where she was, but she did know was that she was in a room that had a piano in it.

She had a small affection for pianos and piano players, but she played the violin. There was no time to be playing a new instrument, no matter how much she wanted to.

She walked over and the ivory keys gently, its tune proving that it was in good shape. Stray tears still fell from her face.

"Why are you crying?"

She jumped, her hand slamming onto the keys, a loud, ugly sound erupting from it. Her face flushed with embarrassment. 

There, a handsome boy stood in front of her. He didn't seem that much older. Perhaps he was one year older. He was looking at her with eyes filed with genuine concern.

He walked over to her and gently wiped her tears away. "Why are you crying?" he asked again.

She shook her head vigorously. "I-it's nothing."

He raised an eyebrow, not believing it, but didn't question it any further. She had a feeling he already knew. "If you say so..." He gestured towards the piano. "Do you play?"

The girl shook her head again. "No. I can only wish. I've always liked the piano, though."

He cocked his head to the side. "Do you want me to play for you?"

Her eyes brightened and she nodded her head earnestly. "Can you? Please!"

He chuckled, amused. "Very well." He sat on the bench and motioned for her to sit next to her. Once she did, he proceeded into playing.

His playing was... It was amazing. Truly the best piano playing she's ever heard. It was beautifully played, but she could tell there were hints of sadness in it.

His fingers trailed off the piano as his song ended. She broke out in applause.

"That was amazing!" she gushed. "Truly, it was the best piano playing I've ever heard! And that song you played was beautiful, too! What is the name of it?"

He gave her a side look. "It's called Wedding Dress."