Nightmare

Oriental Rose

 

1zdrvps.jpg

 


Screams of agony, flashes of crimson and steel. That was all she could remember from her last moments at Gangwha Island. That and…
 
‘Oppa will be right back, Youjin.’
 
“Oppa is a liar…” she whispered, hugging her legs close.
 
Youjin felt her stomach lurch as the ship swung violently, and she shivered as the flimsy hanbok she was wearing offered no comfort against the cold. She buried her face into her knees and thought about her brother who never came back for her. She squeezed her legs even tighter. She wished she would wake up and everything would just be a terrible nightmare. 
 
But no, that wouldn’t be the case, because she had already been wishing for that for over 300 meals, and nightmares never last this long. Youjin tilted her head and ran her hand through the marks she had carved out on the ship for every meal she had eaten here.
 
At first, she was petrified. Dragged by her hair in the hands of tall white men, she was dumped into the ship’s storage area unceremonially. She had screamed out for her brother until one of the white men came down angrily and kicked her straight in the stomach. She knew they were the incarnation of the devil himself, with unnatural coloured eyes, strange flowing speech and huge physique. The only thing that she knows is that they will leave her alone if she stays quiet.
 
She was now more numb and less petrified. She no longer flinched when they approach to toss her a bit of their food twice a day, but rather stare into their strange ocean-coloured eyes defiantly. Then they would say Asian , and spit at her. 
 
Not that she knew what that meant, but she knew it was not a good title to behold.

 

For the first couple of weeks she cried herself to sleep. She missed her brother. She missed his warm strong arms. She didn't want to think about that man who came to visit her at the dead of night. She didn't want to think about the words he had said with sad eyes.

 

'I am truly sorry about Chanyeol... He fought for our country bravely... '

 

"No." She murmured to herself. "Oppa is well and he is surely looking for me now."

 

Youjin closed her eyes and tried to sleep again. She shuffled to a corner and buried her face into her arms. She no longer liked thinking about her brother for long periods of time; perhaps it was because she no longer could remember how he looked like clearly. Perhaps it was because it made her think about Gangwha Island too much. Whatever the reason, she knew that she had to stop dwelling on the past or it will break her.

 

Slam

 

Youjin jolted up at the sound of the flap door opening. She turned her head towards the stairs as a pair of soldier boots came into view. She clenched her fists and glared. She waited for the man to toss her some disgusting bits of hard chewy brown things and her cup of water, but was surprised when the man motioned with his hands to come closer. He also said something gruff in his strange flowing tongue, but she was sure it was just for the sake of it since he knew already she could not understand a word of their language.

 

The man motioned again impatiently and Youjin reluctantly stood up, fear coiling at the bottom of her stomach. She slowly walked towards him and let him grab her arm when she was within his reaching distance. The man pulled her roughly up the stairs, and Youjin instinctively shaded her eyes as the blinding sunlight hit her eyes.

 

She gasped.

 

They had hit port – if this even was a port. She was hit with a cascade of wild colours and alien scenery. She knew she was not on a normal ship but now as she took a good look at the vessel, she saw just how different it was to the Joseon ships she was used to. Swarms of colourfully dressed white men and women flooded her view, and she took an involuntary step backwards as their gaze focused on her.

 

The white man who held her arm glanced back towards her as he felt her flinch, but he ignored it and carried on dragging her to her destination.

 

Youjin felt tears starting to spill as she almost tripped at the man’s fast pace. Her body started to shake. She wanted to wake up right now from this nightmare.

 

36e5s.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

First chapter up! :D