XVII. Siblings

On A Rainy Day

I spent the whole day with Bang Yongguk, just as he told us we would do. I expected him to bail out a few seconds later, saying that he was called for job (he had done so numerous times), but he didn't. He stayed with me, and commented on the things I was shopping for. Although I thought that him commenting too much was forced, I only chuckled at his attempt. 

Each time he made me laugh, or let out a big gummy grin, or whenever our hands would brush against each others, I had to remind myself that I would never have the same love that he had for Im Yoonhee. I would never amount to half of the woman Im Yoonhee was for Yongguk—never. It was something I had to get used to, but it was so damn hard when my heart seemed to hammer against my chest when he was near. It wasn't as if I wanted to stop my feelings, but I needed to. If I didn't, I would end up being in pain from heartbreak.

I didn't want to have my heart heartbroken by him.

"Mone," a soft voice mumbled. "Hey, are you done daydreaming or do you still need another half hour?"

I blinked several times and turned my head towards the owner of the voice, seeing Lim Jinae looking at me with a curious look. She furrowed her brows and took a seat right next to me. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," I forced a smile and straightened my back. "Sorry, I was just thinking."

"About?"

"Nothing really," I leaned back on the chair and sighed. "I... I just have a lot in my mind."

She moved the chair closer to mine and put her hands in front of her, leaning a bit to my direction. "Talking about it helps a lot, so, do you want to talk about it?"

I shook my head, "I don't think a hospital is the best place to talk about my problems, Doctor Lim."

She laughed, then cleared , then nodded. "Fine, let's get out of the hospital then. My treat." Jinae stood up with a smile, and pointed at me as she told me to change from my scrubs and meet her in front of the hospital in twenty minutes. She didn't take no for an answer, instead she repeated what she said and walked out. 

I sighed and went to the locker rooms to changed from my scrubs before making my way to the front of the hospital. Jinae waited for me, looking down at her watch and holding on tightly to her purse. When she looked at me, she smiled and waved me over. "Where do you want to eat?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "You said it was your treat, you should have picked the restaurant."

She laughed and wrapped an arm around mine, pulling me to walk through the street. The streets were full with people, the majority of them looking for a place to eat while others walked around aimlessly for a place to shop or rest. I watched as Jinae spoke about work and personal things, my ears paying attention to her but my eyes paying attention to the people. There were couples here and there, some of them acting too adorable for my liking. There was a girl holding on to her lovers arm, pursing her lips as she spoke. He was laughing, throwing his head back and shaking his head before gently poking her nose with his pointer finger. There was another couple close to us, hands entwined as they spoke about apartments that were free and on their price range. There was an older couple sitting at the bus stop, arms together and eyes staring at the passing cars in front of them. He held the small cart filled with fruits and vegetables while she held on tightly to a warm bag of bungeoppang. I smiled softly as she fed him a piece, laughing when the sauce spread over his lips. 

Jinae and I arrived at a small seafood restaurant, the smell of seafood filling my lungs and making my tongue salivate. We immediately sat and ordered, anxiously waiting for the food to arrive. The old lady brought us two bottles of cold Sprite soda, grinning as she laid them down. Jinae opened the first bottle, filling both glasses up to the middle then tasting one of the side dishes in front of us. 

"Now." She put the chopsticks down and clapped her hands together, cleaning them in a way. "I want you to tell me what's wrong."

I shook my head, "Nothing."

"Mone," she sighed. "Why don't you talk to me, huh? I thought we were friends!"

"We are!" I raised my hands. "There's just nothing for me to share, unnie. I'm fine. Perfectly fine."

She sighed once again and took a sip from the glass. "If there's one thing I learned is that when people say they are perfectly fine they actually aren't." Jinae eyed me, then looked down at the side dishes. "Talk to me."

After some seconds of silence, and me hesitating, I finally decided that it would be good to talk to her. "I really like this boy..." I began with a sigh. "He's wonderful! He has such a big heart, and an amazing personality, and this adorable sense of humour." I felt my lips spread into a smile, big and full of emotions. I didn't like that smile. 

Jinae smiled, "So? He sounds amazing! What's the problem, then?"

I smiled softly, looking down at the side dishes in front of us. My smile didn't falter as I spoke, but my voice sort of did. "He likes someone else."

She made a face and began to shake her head. "Aigoo!" she sighed. "Why must my Mone have bad luck with men? Hey, what if I introduce you to someone I know? He's a very handsome lawyer and comes from a very wealthy family."

"No, no!" I shook my head, sighing. "I don't want you to introduce me to anyone, okay?"

"Why not?"

"Because I want to focus on work."

"Don't lie to me, Mone."

"I'm not!" I made a face. "I am not lying to you, unnie. I swear."

She smiled softly and looked down at the boiling seafood stew that the old woman laid there while we were talking. It bubbled, the small octopi moving around the bubbles as if they were still alive. Jinae poked at them with her chopsticks, the same soft smile around her lips. "You remind a lot of my younger sister."

"You have a younger sister?" I asked her, surprised that she would tell me. We did talk about family once, but she never mentioned that she had any siblings. She told me she had a hardworking father that worked in a factory and a mother that worked in a sewing shop, but never a sister. 

Jinae nodded and served herself some of the stew. "She was just like you, except she had longer hair and enjoyed to have some fun instead of thinking just about work," she chuckled. "She was also trying to become a doctor."

"Did she move to another hospital?" I asked, noticing that I had never exactly seen her where we worked. "Or is she working in another floor?" I knew most of the people working in the ER and other floors as well, but I had never heard of another person with the same family name as Jinae.

Jinae's facial expression downed; lips set into a straight line and eyes staring into the plate. "Uh, she died."

"I'm sorry," I immediately gasped. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked."

She shook her head, "Don't worry. It's fine. It's been a few years now."

"Still, I shouldn't have asked." I watched as she played with the stew, letting out a small sigh and then putting down the chopsticks. She pulled out her phone and began scrolling through it. When she found was she was looking for, she turned the phone in my direction. There was a picture of a girl with long black hair and large eyes staring back at me. My chopsticks fell from my fingers when I noticed why did the picture look so familiar. 

"I-Im Yoonhee..." I mumbled quietly, eyeing the picture. It was a picture similar to the ones I have seen in the wall on the house outside of Seoul, the one where he was smiling down at her. "S-She's your s-sister?"

Jinae nodded and took a good look at the photo. "Im Yoonhee was my sister."

"What happened to her?" I asked, playing with my fingers under the table. My throat hitched as I noticed that maybe I would get to know what happened to Yoonhee without asking Yongguk about it. 

"Car accident," Jinae sighed. "Or so they say."

"You don't think it was a car accident?"

She shook her head, "I think it was a murder."

Yoonhee's accident could never happen again with her, hyung! a voice echoed in my mind. None of us would he to go with what she went through

I suddenly remembered the boys talking about her when I first met them, back at the apartment. It was the first time they mentioned her, and Youngjae was immediately scolded as soon as Yongguk walked out of the room. 

"You two have different family names," I said, hoping for it to be a lie and Jinae was not related to Yoonhee. "Her's is Im and yours is Lim."

Jinae shook her head, "I decided to pronounce it differently so I don't have to remember her. See, if I still heard Im Jinae, I wouldn't be able to live with myself for allowing my sister to die."

I swallowed hard, almost choking on my own saliva. "It wasn't your fault."

After we finished the meal, I didn't hurry to the hospital. Instead, I hurried back home. My breath came and went in fast paces, my heart hammering against my chest. The walls in my room seemed to spin, slowly at first then becoming fast whenever I exhaled. I tapped my fingers against my desk, hoping to calm my breath and my heart. Without thinking, I picked up my computer and began searching the Internet for whatever I could find about her. 

ONE KILLED IN HIT-AND-RUN ACCIDENT
Wednesday 23 June 2010

  A woman in her early 20's was fatally struck in a hit-and-run accident in upper Gangnam today, and the police are still searching for the driver.

 The incident happened around 3AM Wednesday close to Seolleung Station line two in Teheran-ro. Police blocked traffic as investigators were careful to get every inch of a terrifying crime scene on camera for possible clues. 

 "I heard a noise and I heard a boom, and the boom was a girl laying across the street dead," witness Kim Eun Chang said. "I didn't see a car or nothing like that."

 The victim, identified as 19 year-old Im Yoon-hee, was taken to Seoul National Hospital, where she died from her injuries hours later. 

 "It was scary," said Kim. "It could have been me."

 Anyone with information is asked to call the police.

I read another report about her in another website, biting my nails in hope to find something that was more important than this, some clue. There was nothing that had another person involved, it was just Im Yoonhee and some witnesses. As soon as the door opened, I slammed my laptop close. 

"What are you doing?" a soft voice asked from the doorway. I turned my head and saw Daehyun walking in slowly. He took a seat at the end of the bed and put his hands together.

"Nothing," I answered, turning around in my chair. "Why are you here?"

"Everyone's gone," he sighed, throwing himself back. "I'm alone and bored and in need of some company."

I chuckled, "What do you want to do then?"

"Let's watch a movie." He stood up and marched to the living room upstairs, immediately putting in one of the numerous movies he had in his room. The beginning to My Girlfriend Is An Agent began, causing Daehyun to lean back and munch on the popcorn he miraculously already had prepared. 

As the movie progressed, all I could think about was the information I had learned from Jinae and the Internet. My fingers tapped anxiously against the pillow I was holding tightly in front of my chest. I needed to know more, I wanted to know more. I wanted to know who exactly was Yoonhee, and how exactly did she die.