Facing Fakes

Breaking Thin Ice

The smell of overly sweet perfume filled Sora's nostrils as she stepped foot into the school. Accompanied by the sickly smell were teenagers sniggering, high pitched giggles and the clicking of 6 inch stilettos across the immaculate marble floor. As she walked past, people sneered at her and ridiculed the new scholarship kid who had no money, nor status.

Amongst all the heels and expensive shoes, there were a pair of worn out converses which belonged to Sora. She was close to broke. Because of this Sora never got to experience the luxuries which normal teens had. 

Sora let out a low chuckle when a underdressed girl shot a rude comment at her.

 “Hey look, peasant girl is here!”

That was a new one. At least they came up with something original. The last school she went to all she got was the usual 'nerd,' or ''. Despite the insults bouncing off the walls, Sora still maintained the same expression- her eyes were like dark tunnels which had no end. There was not a glint of happiness, sadness, fear, they were just void of all emotion.

Sora was the odd one out. Most of the girls had faces caked with makeup and chemical infested hair. Their skirts rode up their thighs and their blouses hardly covered up their chests. But to the boys, they were identified as ‘hot’. And Sora was just the poor girl who got free admission to this so called ‘prestigious’ school.

No matter how pretty she was, or how perfect her body proportions were, money and status were the things which mattered the most in Kuran High.

The bell signified the start of class; the students immediately dispersed leaving Sora by herself. She had not the slightest idea where her classroom was in this excessively big school.

 

¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

 

It had been ages, minutes which felt like hours past. She was incredibly late and class had started ages ago. Sora knew better than to ask someone, knowing all she would get was a glare. Not that she wouldn’t return the gesture with a glare which could kill. She wandered around aimlessly, cursing under her breath trying to spot her classroom. The corridors were completely empty and there was not a person in sight. 

“Yah! Can’t we just ditch today. It’s not like you can’t last a day without seeing Yuri! I don’t want to face all those stupid fan girls.”

Sora turned around, seeing the source of the voice. She met eyes with a guy clad in denim and gold necklaces walking alongside a simply dressed male. They both looked around Sora's age and were much better looking than the average teen. The boy who was complaining smirked and started to approach her.

“Hey, I haven’t seen you around before hot stuff. I’m Chen, do you want help with your classroom?”

Sora glared at Chen and icily replied,

“No, and I would prefer if you didn’t refer to me as ‘hot stuff'.”

Chen backed away and nudged the dark haired boy next to him and whispered,

“What’s wrong with her…?”

“I'm Kai. Are you sure you don’t need any help? You look lost.” Said the other boy.

"I'm fine."she said plainly.

Sora turned around and walked down the corridor, without a single look back.

Chen stood there in deep shock. His jaw was slowly reaching the floor as he stared at the silloheutte of Sora. His pride was wounded, the oh-so famous Chen hadn't been rejected so harshly for years.

Kai was surprised by this cold girl who treated them indifferently. Not only that, she rejected Chen and took no notice of their good looks. He was curious about this mysterious girl and her weird personality. His thoughts were then disrupted by the sound of footsteps coming closer. His attention was then diverted to the hoarde of fangirls coming out of class to see them.

"RUN!" shouted Chen in fear.

In concentration of escaping the wrath of crazy fangirls, Kai forgot this mysterious girl as soon as she came.

 

¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

 

Sora turned away ignoring the two figures and went to find her classroom. After minutes of searching for this seemingly non-existent classroom, she spotted a sign which read ‘11B’. She had finally found her bloody classroom. She entered looking as bored as ever as she scanned the classroom. She was greeted by a tall middle aged teacher.

“You must be Lee Sora, welcome to Kuran High, can you please introduce yourself?”

There was a short pause as Sora looked at the teacher blankly.

“I’m Sora.”

She blankly directed her gaze at the class, receiving glares and sniggers from the students. A few of them called out insults like 'Nerd!', 'Poor' or the occasional 'Peasant!'. Still, she remained indifferent.

“Please take a seat Sora.” The teacher said giving her forced smile.

Sora could see that behind that smile hid a smirk, the teacher had no intentions of understanding Sora. Everything about this school was fake. 

There were only two seats left, one next to a tall boy with glasses and the other next to the Kai, the boy she saw this morning. Retaining her blank expression, she took her seat next to the tall boy with glasses. The boy was shocked that Sora sat next to him and gave her a small smile. Sora gave him a blank look and took hardly any notice of him.

“Hi, I’m Kikwang.”

Silence.

“Uhm, you must be the scholarship student.”

Silence

“Not that I mind of course! You must be really smart.”

Silence

“Uhm, why did you sit next to me? If it was anyone else they would’ve sat next to Kai. I mean, nobody really likes me, I’m the nerd of the school and Kai is one of the kingkas. He's one of the 12 'it' boys. Everybody fawns over them and everything, I don't understand how they handle all the popularity..”

Silence

“Am I being annoying? Sorry, I didn't mean to. I'll shutu-”

“Sora.”

“Hm?” Kikwangs eyes widened in surprise. *She talked!* he thought.

“My name is Sora.” she said with the exact same expression.

Kikwang gaped at her and gave her a cheesy smile.

“If you don’t mind, I would like to listen.” She said. Although she hid her feelings and heart, she still had a heart. And she was thankful that someone was making an attempt to be nice to her and wasn't fake. It had been a long time.

“Oh o- okay! Sorry!” stuttered Kikwang.

The edges of Sora's lips tilted up the tiniest bit. Although it looked like a twitch, for Sora it was a huge smile. It was probably the most sincere smile anyone could give. Kikwang caught this tiny smile and his heart started racing. He was intrigued by this girl in the time span of 10 minutes.

That was all it took. 

Kikwang turned back to the board blushing crazily. He never really talked to girls, as most of the time they would avoid him. If only they knew what a good looking guy he was under his nerdy clothes, classes and hairstyle. Even when he did talk to a girl though, none of them had this kind of effect on him. He was already starting to fall for this mysterious girl Sora unknowingly.

Although Sora wasn’t the friendliest, at least she didn’t judge him for how he looked. If that tiny smile was enough to make his heart beat significantly faster, what would a true smile do, what would a laugh do, what would a hug do to his heart?

Kikwang was deeply curious about this unique girl, and yearned to see more of her smiles. Grinning to himself, he pushed up his glasses and went back to listening to the maths teacher talk about trigonometry.

Sora sneaked a glance at Kikwang. ‘Well, maybe not everyone is fake,’ thought Sora to herself as she watched Kikwang jotting down notes furiously.

 

Hi readers! (if I have any :')) Here is the first chapter of Breaking Thin Ice. Isn't Kikwang sweet? haha. The second chapter will be coming soon! I have a rough plan of what is going to happen. I hope you enjoyed the first chapter though! :)