Helloooooo Neighbour :D

My Neighbour

            A truck was parked in front of a big house which is just beside my house. I saw people going back and forth from the truck to the house carrying furniture from the big to a small one.

            While I was looking at the people, I spotted a young girl, whom I believe to be the owner of the house, instructing the people on where to put the furniture.

             I decided to greet her later as a neighbour after they finished with moving in the furniture. While waiting, I lay on my bed and listened to some slow music which made me fall asleep and soon wake up at the sound of my mother knocking on my bedroom door.

            “Tiffany, it’s time for dinner,” I heard her say. I slowly sat up from the bed and glanced at my wall clock. It was almost dinner and that meant I forgot to greet my new neighbour. I sighed and thought that I would just greet her the next day.

            I went down to the dining room to eat dinner with my family. We ate in silence as it is our habit not to talk during eating. After finishing our dinner, I asked my mother whether she knew that we had a new neighbour and she said, “Yes, she even sent this fruit basket to us.” My mother showed me the basket filled with variety of fruits and I smiled when I acknowledge it.

            “Oh right. She also goes to the same university as you and I think she said she is major in performing art,” my mother added before I had a chance to go upstairs. I nodded at the information and bid goodnight to my family before going to bed.

            In my bedroom I lay on my comfortable bed and looked at the ceiling. I was thinking on how to greet her the first thing in the morning. I am bad at first impression when meeting new people and I hope it would not be the next day.

            The next morning, I was walking at the university hallway going to the library to return the book I borrowed a few weeks before. While I was walking, out of the blue, I saw my new neighbour walking in the opposite direction towards me. I was ready to greet her and when we were like metres apart, I waved my hand at her while smiling in my best smile. I stopped in my track waiting for her to come nearer and hold my hand out for a handshake. But a moment later my smile turned into a frown and my hand that held up just now, dropped to my right. I turned to my back to look at my new neighbour who just walked on as if she saw nothing and I could not believe it when my new neighbour walked straight past me without saying a word.

            “Well, hello to you too!” I yelled at her in a sarcastic tone and proceeded with what I was going to do in the first place, returning the book to the library. I stomped my feet all the way to the library thinking how rude of her to just ignore me.

            When I went home from university, I told my mother about what happened earlier and my mother just laughed at me saying that maybe she was shy.

            After the incident, I never saw her for a few days. Today, I had an English lecture so I was sitting in my seat listening to the lecture not until someone barged in through the door attracting our attention to the side of the lecture hall.

            “Sorry, I’m late professor. I was stuck in the traffic,” the late comer said who I assumed to be my neighbour. The professor nodded his head and told her to find a seat. She looked around for an empty seat and it seemed like there was only one which was beside me. She walked to my direction and took the seat beside me. I looked at her in annoyance not forgetting of what she did the other day. She noticed me looking at her and she raised an eyebrow while jerking her head up. I directed my attention to the professor’s lecture when suddenly a folded piece of paper was placed on my desk. I took the piece of paper and unfolded it to read its content. I looked at my neighbour who sat beside me with a smiling face.

            “I’m sorry for what happened the other day,” she said in a whispering tone.

            “It’s okay. Anyway, I’m Tiffany, your neighbour,” I smiled and also said in a whispering tone.

            She smiled, “I’m Sooyoung, nice to meet you. How about I treat you ice-cream later for what happened?” she asked.

            “Okay, I’m in,” I said, smiling at her and that’s when our professor cleared his throat when he noticed Sooyoung and I were not paying attention to his lecture.

            “Sorry,” we both said in sync and giggled.

 

 

*****

 

Well, there you go :)