His Search

Destined Choices

 

Jong Hyun finally endured until Saturday night. He called Soo Jung but no one picked up. He then decided to leave voice message. Little did he know that Soo Jung had already abandoned her handphone in where she once had stayed. Soo Jung had changed her handphone and her number too. She could not afford to give Jong Hyun any clues to her whereabouts.


Then, Sunday arrived. Jong Hyun was bored and wanted to look for Soo Jung but Soo Jung who was now in Italy cleverly sent Jong Hyun an email claiming that she would be out of town until Friday. In the email, she explained that she had family matters to attend to and that she would be unable to meet him or contact him for a week. Jong Hyun could only sigh. He missed Soo Jung.


Finally it was Saturday morning. Jong Hyun woke up happily, thinking that he would be able to see Soo Jung today. However, a phone call changed his mood and his mind to find Soo Jung.


"Jong Hyun, my son. How have you been?" Jong Hyun recognized his mother's voice immediately.
 

"Umma, I have been fine. How are you then?" Jong Hyun replied nonchalantly. It was not that he disliked his parents; he just could not find himself caring for them. Afterall, all they had in mind had always been their dearest company.


"I am alright. Remember you had rejected the choice to marry the daughter of the owners of Jung Company?" It was obvious to Jong Hyun that his mother was trying to sound as sensitive as possible.


"Yes," Jong Hyun could remember the previous phone call that he had received from his mother. His mother had asked him if he would like to consider a marriage proposal and he rejected it immediately, without even knowing that the lady was the daughter of Jung Company. However, he would not bother to find it out too, he had Soo Jung and she was all that mattered to him. He had planned to marry Soo Jung in the near future.


"Your bother is marrying her. The wedding would be held tomorrow in Italy. We have already sent your air ticket to you. We just hope you will attend it." His mother paused for a few moments, waiting for his reply.


"I will go. Does he know how the daughter of the owners of Jung Company looks like?" Jong Hyun answered calmly, even though, he was still trying to digest the news. His elder brother, Jong In, the heartbreaker was going to get married. That was shocking.


"No, they are only meeting each other tomorrow morning when they are exchanging vows." Jong Hyun could clearly hear his mother sigh.


"Alright, I get it. Bye, Umma!" Jong Hyun bid farewell first and ended the call.
 

"Jong In is marrying someone without knowing her looks? That is amazingly surprising. I thought he had said that he would marry a female with the face of Im YoonA and the body of Hyun Ah …" Jong Hyun recalled about the past where he and Jong In would lie down in their big bed where they would start to discuss about their ideal lovers. Jong Hyun wondered and forgot that he was to go to find Soo Jung. He felt guilty after his mother's call. He had not visited his family ever since he had managed to leave it.


Being born as Kim Jong Hyun was definitely not a blessing. Being Jong In's younger brother and one of the heirs to Kim Enterprise were two of the things that he would never wish for.


The life of Kim Jong Hyun was too stressful and full of competition. He had to excel in everything but he could not ask for the most basic parental love. He knew Jong In doted on him but Jong In had always been too perfect. Jong Hyun was fearful of Jong In as Jong In was talented and excellent in all aspects. He could play the piano, sing, dance and act. He was always the outstanding boy, actively participating in all kinds of activities.

Jong Hyun knew he would not lose to Jong In in any aspect as well, but he could never outshine his brother too. Jong Hyun had a hard time catching up with Jong In. Even though, the two of them were outstanding and attracted a lot of attention, Jong Hyun did not enjoy his life then as Kim Jong Hyun.


It was only after he had left, then he could really enjoy his life. No doubt, he was still Kim Jong Hyun but his identity as one of the heirs to Kim Enterprise was concealed. He did not have the need to be outstanding or perfect anymore. He could just be an ordinary male student and he truly could rest after all these years. He did not contact his brother because he was afraid. He was afraid that Jong In might just either decide to pull him back to his old life or join him in his new life. He needed and wanted time alone, for people to recognize him for who he was, and not Jong In's brother.


Jong Hyun sighed as he recollected about the past and his feelings. It had been long enough, he should go back and witness for himself his elder brother's wedding. Afterall, Jong In really doted on him.


"Hyung, I will definitely give you my blessings. I had been selfish and it is time I should face you." Jong Hyun thought… He then drifted to sleep as tears had stung his eyes. He had not cried for a long time.


By the time he woke up, Jong Hyun realised that it was noon. Someone had been pressing the doorbell for some time. He immediately jumped up from his bed, thinking that Soo Jung must be back.


Disappointment drowned him when he received the package sent by a man. In it lay an air ticket to Italy.


"Soo Jung …" Jong Hyun mumbled her name as he tried calling her again. There was no answer again. He had even left a few voice messages but there was no reply too.


He took a quick shower and decided to look for Soo Jung. Just as he was about to step out of his house, his handphone rang.


"Jong Hyun, this is Na Eun. Meet me at the usual cafe," The call ended.


"Na Eun?" Jong Hyun wondered. Na Eun was Soo Jung's closest friend and his good friend too. Na Eun had always grumbled jokingly being their messenger when Soo Jung and he were in an argument. Jong Hyun then headed to the cafe.


In Light Cafe, Na Eun sat silently, stirring her cup of coffee. She had just received a letter from Soo Jung in the morning. Na Eun knew Soo Jung must have planned all these. A letter would only be received by one after a few days.


It was going to be two in the afternoon. She wondered what was taking Jong Hyun so long. She remembered calling Jong Hyun at one o'clock.


"Sorry, what's up?" Jong Hyun slipped into the seat, facing Na Eun. He knew she was getting impatient from her furrowed brows.


"Read this." Na Eun briefly answered.


Jong Hyun took the letter from Na Eun and opened it warily, eyeing Na Eun's serious look.


"Jong Hyun

By the time you are reading this letter, I would be out of your life already. I know how sad this sounds. However, the truth is always hurtful, isn't it?

I have sent two letters to Na Eun. I have estimated that she would only receive these letters on Saturday. One letter is for her, and this letter is for you.

I am leaving, Jong Hyun.

I did not know how to tell you this in person and hence I had mustered all my courage to write you this letter. The email regarding my out-of-town stay was true but it did not include the full picture.

I am getting married to another man, Jong Hyun. I knew this about two weeks ago. I did not know how to break the news to you. I did not know how to tell you that we had to break up. I did not know how to leave you, but I still did. I had to. I am sorry.

I just want to tell you I love you, Jong Hyun. Thank you for all the wonderful times we had spent together. I am sorry for leaving you and hurting you. Please believe me, I am suffering too.

Remember that what your favourite phrase is?

Reality does not indulge wishes.

Till now did I realise its truthfulness.

Jong Hyun, please forgive me. I don't think I will be seeing you again. But if we do get to see each other, I hope we will be able to greet each other happily. We can be good friends.

Goodbye, Jong Hyun. I wish that you will find your happiness and true love soon. Take care of Na Eun for me too.

Your beautiful past (I hope we did share a beautiful past together)
Jung Soo Jung. "


"This cannot be the truth …" Jong Hyun's voice was shivering. This was the second time in a day that he cried.


"I am afraid that this is the truth. I went to find Soo Jung today. Her house was cleared and it was empty. Only her handphone was left there. Jong Hyun…" Na Eun did not know how to continue. She had been shocked at her best friend's sudden appearance.


Jong Hyun crushed the letter with clenched fists. He had to find Soo Jung no matter where she would be hiding now. He would stop her from marrying another man. He knew that Soo Jung loved him. She was his woman.


Soo Jung's laughter, Soo Jung's scent, Soo Jung's voice; everything about Soo Jung was unforgettable. Jong Hyun stood up and ran out of the Light Cafe.


"Jong Hyun!" Na Eun shouted and tried to run after him but Jong Hyun was sprinting away madly. Na Eun could not catch up with him.


"Jong Hyun… Soo Jung, how could you do this to us?" Na Eun knelt on the streets and started crying.


Jong Hyun did not know where he was running to. He just needed to run to vent his overwhelming emotions. Then, his mind became clear and he began running from one place to another, all the places that Soo Jung often visited were to be searched thoroughly.


"Soo Jung! Soo Jung!" Jong Hyun searched frantically. Before he knew it, it was Sunday morning. He had delayed his flight to Italy till the afternoon. He decided that he would just attend the wedding dinner; the most important task on hand was to find Soo Jung.

 

******

X; How's it going guys?
comments and subscribe please :)