Walls

OUR BIG MAMA

Everyone turned and looked at the annoyed Jongdae lying on his bed with wide eyes making the seventh born raise a brow. “What’s with you guys?” he asked and Nurse Eun stood up immediately from her seat running to the door. “I’ll call the doctor.” She said and dashed out.

 

Jongdae looked at his family. Their faces were full of mixed emotion of shock, happiness, disbelief, worry and relief. At first, he didn’t know why he was at the hospital but then, he remembered what happened. He got into an accident and he was sure that everyone got really worried.

“Guys?” he called but no one responded. Their mom just held his hand crying while his brothers looked at him and Miho was crying as well as Yixing pulled her closer by the waist. “Omma.” He called and Mrs. Kim looked up at his son crying tears of joy. “Yes, baby?”

“I’m hungry.” He said and everyone could only smile in relief.  

Yup. Jongdae’s back. Was the only thing they could think of as they happily eat supper the second time that night.

 

The family finished eating supper when the doctors went to checkup on Jongdae for the last time for that day.

“His condition is stable. We’ll do further checkup tomorrow.” The doctors said and left the room and the guys started with their questions. “Are you sure you’re okay?” Minseok worriedly and the dongsaeng nodded. “Nae, hyung.” He replied.

“Do you want something to eat?” Kyungsoo asked this time as he buttoned his Jongdae hyung’s pajama (they changed his pajamas). “I’ll cook something quick.” He said and Jongdae chuckled at his dongsaeng. “Kyung, we just ate.” Jongdae said and everyone was delighted by hearing that sound. They missed that sweet chuckle of his.

“If you’re hurt somewhere you can tell us. Are comfortable? Is the bed soft enough?” It was Luhan’s turn to be the over worried brother. “I’m fine hyung. I miss our room though.” He said and Luhan, if he could, would bring their room in the hospital but it was impossible and he doubt that Jongdae could move from his bed yet.

“His pulse is normal.” Jongdae frowned at his Joonmyeon hyung who wouldn’t let his wrist go, checking his pulse once every three minutes. “Uh hyung, you’re over reacting. The doctors said I’m fine.” He said but Joonmyeon ignored him. “I’ll still check you just in case.” The hyung said and Jongdae just huffed.

 

He knew his family was worried sick and that being like that was normal so he didn’t bother anymore and let them do what they want. I’ll take a walk once I’m allowed to go out. He told himself and yawned. “I’m going to sleep.” He said and closed his eyes.

“Kim Jongdae, you better wake up tomorrow or I’ll kick your !” he heard Baekhyun threatened and he only chuckled before falling asleep, trying to recover his tired body. Baekhyun and him just reconciled and didn’t even need to talk about what happened in the past. I guess, after what happened, the two just decided to forget about it. But that doesn’t mean Jongdae won’t kill that Jaejoong once he’s out of the hospital.

 

The next morning, Jongdae was greeted by a lot of checkups; most of them was about vitals and didn’t require him to get up at all. Then, at lunch, he had another set of checkup, a full body type one.

 

“Can you sit up?” the doctor asked and Jongdae, with the help of his mom, nurse Eun and Wufan, did as told and succeeded. Mrs. Kim and Wufan smiled at the young man as he was being checked while Jongdae felt uneasy.

“Can you put your feet down from the bed?” the doctor asked and Jongdae tried to move his legs only to frown. What’s going on? He asked himself as he tried for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th time only to fail.

Then, he started to panic and looked at the doctor. “I… I can’t!” he said and the doctor quickly did his test. The doctor squeezed and even hit his legs but the young man felt nothing making him more and more anxious.

 

“Omma. What’s going on? I can’t feel anything!” he started to hyperventilate holding his mother’s hands. “Jongdae, calm down.” Wufan tried to calm his younger brother down but failed when the doctor pinched his legs but felt nothing.

“WHAT’S WRONG?! I CAN’T FEEL MY LEGS?!” the seventh born shouted and the doctor looked at Nurse Eun giving her a small nod and the nurse, understanding the doctor, went out of the room. The doctor then turned to the mother with a straight face, ready to bring the bad news to them.

“I’m afraid your son might not be able to walk anymore.” He said and Jongdae felt his world stop, just like his hyung and mom’s. “His legs received a lot of damage from the accident and the nerve connecting the legs to the brain must’ve been broken down. We’re are going to do more test to see if there’s something we can do but please don’t put your hopes up because the probability of its success if little.” The doctor said and Mrs. Kim collapsed on the floor with her head rested on the side of the bed. Her hand was still on her son’s hand, trembling.

 

“Ottoke?” she wept and Wufan tried to calm down their mother while Jongdae remained frozen. I can’t walk anymore.

 

OUR BIG MAMA ~ OUR BIG MAMA ~ OUR BIG MAMA ~ OUR BIG MAMA ~

 

In the evening, because of the family’s demand, the tests for Jongdae’s legs were done. Jongdae was silent most of the time while the brothers and their mom, tried to give him encouraging words but none of it worked.

Then at the end of the day, the doctors finally got the results and called the mother of the patient to reveal the news.

 

“How’s my son, doctor?” Mrs. Kim nervously asked as she sat on the chair in front of the doctor’s table with Joonmyeon on the other chair. The physician reviewed the results again and then looked at the ahjumma.

“I’m sorry to say but it will be hard for your son to walk again.” The doctor said and the mother felt her heart broke into pieces. “The nerves connected to his brain are very damaged and weak. The only thing to make him walk again is through rehabilitation but it’ll take a lot of time for it to be possible.” He continued. “I called you here to say the results and to ask if you’d like to sign up your son for the rehabilitation. It’ll take years but it isn’t impossible.” “Normally, it depends on the patient’s perseverance.” He said and Mrs. Kim took a deep breath calming her down.

 

It isn’t impossible, Hye Jung. Your son can still walk and you have to be there for him, support him in every way you can. She said to herself and gave the doctor a hopeful smile. “I’ll tell Jongdae about the news and yes, about that rehabilitation, I’d like to sign him up for it but I’d like to talk to my son when he’d want to start it.” She said.

“Very well Mrs. Kim.” The doctor smiled, contented that his patient’s family wasn’t losing hope. “You can give me a notice whenever your son is ready for the rehab. I’ll inform the center about it too.” He said and the mother and her son bowed to the doctor before returning to Jongdae’s room.

 

“Mom?” Joonmyeon called as he held his mother’s hand. The news was a shock to her too and he was worried that she’d go back to her not eating habit again.

“I’m okay.” Mrs. Kim said to her child with a small smile so he wouldn’t worry anymore. “I’m more worried about your brother though. I don’t know how he’ll take this.” She said and Joonmyeon gave her an encouraging smile. “I’m sure Jongdae will take it well, ommoni. And even if he doesn’t we’ll be here to support him all the time.” He said and the mother couldn’t agree more.

“Don you want us to tell him?” He asked and the mother shook her head no. “I’ll tell him.” She replied. “And I—no, we will be there for him.” She added and Joonmyeon knew that their strong mother was back.

 

OUR BIG MAMA ~ OUR BIG MAMA ~ OUR BIG MAMA ~ OUR BIG MAMA ~

 

“What happened?!” Minseok asked Chanyeol who was holding their crying mother. The elder was still panting from the long run but he paid no attention of it because of the solemn atmosphere. His brothers Chanyeol, Jongin, Kyungsoo and Yixing, together with their mother were outside Jongdae’s room.

He was in class when Kyungsoo called him to go to the hospital quickly. He could hear their mother’s cries, then glass shattering followed by Jongdae’s screams.

 

It has been four days since their mother told their brother, Jongdae, his condition. At first, it looked like Jongdae would take it well but then; he became moody and accepted no one. He became very distant even to his brothers and their mother, and refused doing the rehab saying that it was useless and that he’ll be forever crippled.

He started to hate everyone, even himself and built a wall closing him from other’s reach. He’d spend the day glaring at everything and throwing tantrums or crying ‘til he faints.

 

The brothers didn’t know what to do and tried to talk to their brother but it was futile. Even Luhan’s shouts didn’t affect the younger and when they finally decided to force the kid to pull himself together or at least go out for a stroll, it just resulted of Kyungsoo accidentally being pushed and injured his arm that was now in a cast.

 

“He’s in a really bad mood today.” Jongin ruffled his hair in frustration. When will this end? “He didn’t want to eat. He didn’t eat breakfast and refused to put the serum.” The second youngest explained. “And hyung pushed mom so Yixing hyung almost punched him. Eun Ae noona is still inside with the doctors, putting hyung to sleep.” Jongin added and Minseok could only sigh. Now what?

“Tranquilizer again, huh?” the elder asked as he went to kiss their mother’s forehead. “There wasn’t any choice, hyung.” Chanyeol said and the Kims just sat there in silence, listening how Jongdae curses the doctors and his shouts of struggle.

 

Where did our caring, cheerful and loving Jongdae go? They all asked as they heard the cries calm down.

 

OUR BIG MAMA ~ OUR BIG MAMA ~ OUR BIG MAMA ~ OUR BIG MAMA ~

 

“How is he?” Kris, who just came from work, asked his brothers who were watching TV with their mother sleeping.

“He’ll wake up tomorrow, when the serum runs out.” Tao answered and the older nodded before sitting beside the table where Kyungsoo was, already preparing his hyung’s supper with his one hand.

“How’s your arm?” the caring Benben hyung asked worriedly. It broke his heart to see his dongsaeng hurt but it hurt more because the reason it happened was his other brother. Even though Jongdae didn’t mean it and wasn’t on his right mind, it pained Wufan the fact that his brother would hurt one of them.

 

“It doesn’t hurt anymore and aunt Jinri said the cast will be removed in three days.” Kyungsoo replied and handed his older brother a pair of chopsticks. “How’s work?” the later asked making Kris sigh.

I can’t tell them now. “Fine, I guess.” He said and began eating. “The food’s great Soo.” He changed the topic and Kyungsoo, despite knowing something’s wrong with his hyung, smiled.

“The maknae made the eggs.” He said and Kris turned to look at his youngest brother who was already looking at him with a very confident grin. “Nice eggs, Sehunnie.” The hyung praised and the brothers kept their laughs with chuckles not wanting to wake their tired mother up.

 

“That could be interpreted in so many ways; I just can’t with you, hyung.” Baekhyun said and the others’ bodies shook trying not to laugh out loud except for Kris who didn’t get the joke.

“What did I say?” he asked Kyungsoo who poured his hyung a drink. The younger shook his head smiling and gave the cup of water to his brother. “Just eat hyung.” He said and Wufan just shrugged before eating with a smile on his face. At least we could still laugh together like this.

 

OUR BIG MAMA ~ OUR BIG MAMA ~ OUR BIG MAMA ~ OUR BIG MAMA ~

 

I Aced my Exam guys

But the presentations, projects and another tsunami of exams are coming

+

Upcoming feels ahead

+

EXO's coming baek

My maeum! ottoke?!

WELP ME!

Love me well <3 ~