The Beginning and End

Dance Major Pain

"STOP!" Kikwang slammed the pause button on the DVD player. “You’re doing it all wrong!" 

you wipe away the sweat from your forehead. “What… what are you talking about?!" you asked exhaustedly. “I’m doing it perfectly-,"

Kikwang storms up to you and stares at you menacingly. “Did you just contradict me, trainee?" he hissed.

"Yes," you reply. " My pivot turn looked good."

Kikwang scoffed. "Are you kidding me? That was the worst pivot turn I’ve ever seen. You look like a crazy person trying to spin around." 

  You wince. You had been practicing your pivot turn for weeks, trying to get it perfect. Nothing’s ever enough for him, you think bitterly. Even if I practice for a year he’ll just think I’m awful.

You flashback to a month ago, when Director Hong announced that all the cube trainees would be performing a dance routine with an assigned idol. You had been so excited when you learned Lee KiKwang would be your partner. But when you met him you discovered he was an arrogant, controlling perfectionist who thought he was better than everyone. For 4 weeks you endured torturous practice sessions with him, telling yourself that you wouldn’t quit. 

  "How did you even get into Cube?" Kikwang’s voice broke her thoughts. “Aren’t trainees supposed to be talented? What, were all the judges asleep at your audition? Seriously, I think that’s the only way you could’ve passed."

  Angry tears filled your eyes. You clench your fists. How dare he. How dare he say that.

"I worked hard for years so that I could get into Cube and debut." you whisper, your voice shaking. “You have no right to simply dismiss my efforts like that and tell me that I don’t deserve to be here." Kikwang’s expression turned to one of shock. “I was determined to keep working with you, to bear with this until the end, but now… I give up." you walk out the door and slammed it shut, leaving a stunned kikwang behind. 

  You tell one of the trainers that you can’t work with him. Surprisingly, the trainer was understanding; lee kikwang, he said, is one of the hardest people to work with. I’m just disappointed in you, because I thought if one person could handle him, it would be you.

  The cube trainee/idol concert arrived, and you watch Kikwang perform a routine with another trainee. You felt a pang of sadness. That could have been me, dancing with him, you think sadly. It was strange. Even though Kikwang was so mean to you, you still couldn’t help…

Liking him. 

Of course, he would never like you back. You knew this. After their fight, you doubted he would ever speak to you again. 

Months passed. 

You had been chosen to debut in sTAr, a new 4-member girl group planning to debut under Cube. You were ecstatic. Years of hard work had finally paid off, and now you would be an idol. 

The members of sTAr had a scheduled meeting at 4:30 PM. you checked your watch as you hurriedly walked to the conference room in the east wing of Cube Headquarters. Good, I shouldn’t be late, she thought.I wonder if- you bump smack into another person. “Oh, I’m so sorry!" you exclaimed, then looked up. 

It was Lee Ki Kwang. 

Your eyes widened. Kikwang. The person who probably hated you the most. You bite your lip and look down. “S-Sorry," you murmured after a long moment of silence, and started walking past Kikwang. 

Suddenly, you felt someone take your hand. 

you turned around.

It was him.

 "I… I…" 

You stood, frozen in your spot. 

"…I think your pivot turn…was actually…okay." Kikwang finally said, his face slightly red. He looks up at you and smiles. 

You stare at Kikwang for a long time. Then burst out laughing. This was probably his way of saying sorry. 

"I still don’t forgive you," you tell him teasingly."But I will forgive you if you take me to Cafe Mocha today."