Mute

The Silent Singer

I refused to write. I never thought I would hate to write so much.

"You will be fine" they told me.

"It will be okay" they claimed, but I wasn't okay. The only memories of my voice where on my old iPod, that I could not find anywhere.

"Aaaaaah!" I tried to scream but nothing came out. I could hear my voice in my head though. The only place I could still hear my voice, I was determined to never forget it or else I would lose my identity.

"Sweetie" my mother yelled and knocked on my door. I rolled my eyes, it's not like I could respond to her.

"Oh that's right" she whispered to herself and opened the door.

"Remember where you are going today? Your going to the meeting the doctors at the hospital make for the people who got injured in accidents to see how they are doing. They invited you to go, and remember you said you would go..." she said reminding me in her nagging voice.

"Oh yes mother, 'I said' I would go" I thought to myself and got up and kicked her out of the room for me to change. I really hated how unconsiderate she could be. Like I always did every morning, I decided to play my music on my tablet. I pressed shuffle and the familiar tune came up. Agustana's "Boston".

"In the light of the sun, is there anyone? Oh it has begun...Oh dear you look so lost, eyes are red and tears are shed. This world you must have crossed, she said " the song played.

 

"You don't know me, you don't know me, you don't even care" I tried to sing, but ended up just falling to the ground it tears. Nothing was coming out of my mouth. No noise, not even a squeak. I would never be able to sing, the idea just didn't fit into my head. After calming myself down I tried to cover up my red face with makeup so no one could tell I was crying.

"So where is going to be at mom? You know you are clueless, you can't read Korean or speak Korean" I wrote on a piece of paper. She was overjoyed at the fact I had decided to end my silence and finally wrote on the rotten piece of paper. She looked at me confused as she read what I had written. We were from the United States, and my mom's first language was Spanish. It had been my decision to move to Korea, but after the accident I had regretted my decision.

"We will be fine" she said and we got on the car and drove to the hospital.

Kyuhyun's P.O.V

"So you are actually going to that one hospital meeting?" Eunhyuk said amazed.

"I'm sure all the people over there will be just like me, people who were affected by the accidents. Maybe they want us to talk to the other about our sucess stories, how we overcame the obstacles of the accident" I said and raised my eyebrow. Eunhyuk was even more amazed.

"Where those your words? But they sounded so mature and not evil" Eunhyuk said and joked and laughed out of the room.

I sighed. Hardly anyone took me seriously.

I got on the car with our manager. We rode in silence but before we arrived and I got off he looked at me in the eye.

"Are you sure you want to go? You can still go back home and get ready. Your really going to miss the performance for this?" he said very seriously but in a sense trying to discourage me.

"I said I was going to do this, I have to keep my word. These people saved my life." I responded. My response was hard to beat, manager surrendered and let me go. I walked uncomfortably to the entrance. Knowing I had been here for such a long time, and in this very place they also told me I had little chance of surviving. Yet I lived.

I directed myself to the room where they would have the meeting. It was small, they had set up plastic chairs. They had tried their best to decorate it as best as possible.

I saw a girl walk in through the other door with her mother. Her mother was speaking to her, but she wasn't responding back. She ended up nodding and rolling her eyes, not a word was said.

We were the only one's who were there that early. She looked at me, and really looked at me for awhile. Her eyes went wide and then she looked away quickly.

Main character's P.O.V

"Kyuhyun of Super Junior is right across from me" I said to myself not knowing how to feel. He had been an inspiration for me to try and perfect my singing. It didn't even matter anymore. I looked away and stared at the ground, wanting to be feel excited for him being there but at the same time sad and mad. The doctor came in and said hello to Kyuhyun. They exchanged a few words and then he came over to me.

"No, no, no, he's going to blow my cover. I don't want people to feel pity for me!" I screamed inside my head. I guess he saw it in my face.

"Nice to see you here too" he said and patted my shoulder and went to say hello to the other people who were arriving. I felt so relieved.

The meeting began. They said some nice encouraging words. They encouraged me, but no encouragement could give me my voice back. They asked us to get to know each other, to become friends with the other people in the room who had gone through similar things to us. I really hated this, because I couldn't even speak with anyone. Everyone went and said hi to Kyuhyun, then they began to gather among themselves and laugh and TALK.

I sat there alone. No one had come over to speak to me. I took out the little notepad my mother had left for me to use just in case I needed to talk.

"I was always very social" I wrote. Remembering how I would always try and speak to everyone who seemed lonely. Why wasn't anyone returning back the favor. Instead I was left hanging. I saw Kyuhyun look over at me.

"Look away!" I yelled in my head.

Kyuhyun's P.O.V

I looked over at the girl who had been rude to her mother. She looked around my age, maybe younger, 23?

My mind kept on bugging me to go and talk to her. She looked so lonely. I gathered my courage and walked over to her.

"Hello! My name is Kyuhyun" I said and bowed. She stared at me then smiled and nodded.

"Not really the best place to be at right now huh?" I said trying to joke around. She smiled and nodded again.

I felt the awkwarness rise. The doctor came over to us.

"Oh Kyuhyun, I see you have met Lina" he said and smiled. She looked at the doctor her eyes wide as if speaking to him through her eyes.

"You know, you too have a lot in common" he said and sat down next to her.

"You both love to sing" he spoke softly and Lina's eyes went red.

"You love to sing Lina?" I asked, she nodded and grabbed her notebook, hesitating to write.

"I always wanted to sing with you" she wrote.

"Well what says you can't?" I said and sat to the other side of her.

"She must be really shy" I thought to myself. She wouldn't even speak up.

"You had a very beautiful voice Lina, your voice is still here, saved on this little device. Don't you dare lose it again" the doctor said to her and gave her a really old looking iPod. Her eyes had a sparkle in them. She grabbed and mouthed thank you to the doctor.

"No problem Lina, live well" he said and got up and left us there. I was so confused. What did he mean by "had" and that her voice was inside her iPod. She looked at me. She grabbed her notepad and wrote.

"Will you sing with me?"

"uh, of course. What song?"

"Hope is a dream that never sleeps" she wrote, it was my song. She carefully grabbed her iPod turned it on and scrolled down her playlist and you could hear her talking.

"Hello! I will now sing Kyuhyun's Hope Is A Dream That Never Sleeps. I hope one day I could sing it with him. Hearing him sing makes me endure all the obstacles! Here it goes!" she said in her recording. I looked at her, she blushed.

The song began, and she began to sing. I followed a long, our voices blended together very well. Almost like they were ment to be mixed together. She smiled and cried. I saw people beginning to crowd around us. Confused about what was going on. We were approaching the ending of the song when she stood up.

"I love you with all my heart" she mouthed perfectly according to her recording, it's as if she had sung the part live.

People began to clap.

"Thank you" she wrote down on her notepad in big letters for everyone to see.

"You have a beautiful voice" I told her. She smiled at me with sad eyes.

"But I can't sing anymore, i'm mute. I lost my voice in an accident." she wrote down.

"Your voice is still with you. Your just a really special type of singer" I blurted out. She looked at me confused.

"You're a silent singer. Your voice still continues to amaze people. You are still a singer. It must be so hard for you, but don't give up. You are now an inspiration to all of us, your example will now help me endure all the obstacles that come in my way" I said and smiled. She smiled back.

"I'm Lina by the way :) " she wrote.

"Can I buy you a coffee? There's a coffee shop nearby...I don't know if would want to join me. It's fine if you don't" I mumbled not believing myself.

"I'd love to" she mouthed and smiled. For the first time I was glad at my decisions. I was so glad I missed out on my performace, because I got to hear singing that is even better than my own. Singing from a silent singer, the best of them all. The strongest of them all.