Part Two

Shooting Star

Part two

Listen: 


1949

In the early months of the next year, Myungsoo’s mother absolutely insisted on hosting an engagement party for the pair. School was out for a pleasant two weeks of winter break, and all of both Myungsoo’s and Hyesun’s families drove or took the train into their little town.

Hyesun’s family had longer to drive, having mostly been situated further north than where the new couple lived with their respective parents.

Parties gave Hyesun a case of sweaty palms and a spinning head, especially when focused on her – too many people in one place, all trying to talk to her. Their mother’s planned the entire day completely, down to the color on Hyesun’s fingernails, which curled into her palms as she looked around the Kims’ large sitting room for her fiancé.

She chuckled dryly at the thought – a party for her engagement, yet her fiancé was out of her sight.

on her bottom lip and grimacing at the taste of the caked-on lipstick, she let out a noise that she likened to a lost puppy.

Though, thinking further, she kind of was one.

Frustration struck her, as she thought back to how she hadn’t seen Myungsoo since that morning. Of course, he would always be the forward one to introduce himself and Hyesun to new people, to start conversations, to ask questions… So he’d naturally be socializing with even the most distant of relatives.

The more worried and frustrated she got, her frown deepened and her eyes glistened. As she clasped her hands together tightly, biting down harder on her lip to keep it still, she cursed how much control over her actions her emotions had.

Where was he?

She’d found her way out of the center of attention, as the guests began to busy themselves with each other, rather than the couple. A pair of arms s their way around her waist and pulled her back, into the back room of Myungsoo’s house, their owner’s lips pressed to her cheek.

“What has you so upset, my angel?” Myungsoo breathed, stepping around to hug her tightly from the front. “Tell me, and I’ll fix it.”

“I missed you,” she breathed, suddenly feeling silly for how worried she’d been.

He flashed her a warm smile and bent his head closer to hers to press a soft kiss against her lips after brushing his nose over hers. “You know I’ll always come back to you.”

 

1950

Myungsoo begged their parents for a small wedding, on Hyesun’s behalf. She hadn’t really had to ask, instead he took note of her distaste for large crowds after their years together.

“Honestly,” he mused, sitting across the kitchen table from his parents and Hyesun’s mother, his bride-to-be at his side, “It’d make better sense to save the money from the wedding for a house, wouldn’t it? And then we can have the family visit us once it’s all together.”

Hyesun nodded along to his words, more than content in letting him speak for her. He was going to be a lawyer, after all. The voice of reason existed within him.

“But don’t you want everyone to see you get married?” his mother countered gently, a frown stretched across her lips.

His father, too, had discontent written into his features as he crossed his arms over his chest, staring the couple down. “If money’s the object—”

“It’s not money,” Myungsoo cut him off as his hand flitted around beneath the table, fingers grasping at the air until they found their thinner mates in Hyesun’s. He tangled his hand into hers and gave it a squeeze.

That tiny action was easily the most comforting thing Myungsoo could ever do for Hyesun.

“What’s the problem?” his mother sighed, obviously not understanding their choice for a smaller affair.

Myungsoo shrugged and took a sip of tea, and only Hyesun heard the hiss under his breath as it burnt his tongue. “There isn’t a problem at all. It’s just our choice.”

His father narrowed his eyes. “You’re stubborn,” he noted, though his tone wasn’t at all condescending. If anything, Hyesun noticed a hint of pride hidden in his words.

“That’s going to make me a good lawyer,” Myungsoo countered without skipping a beat. “Now, Hyesun mentioned having the wedding at the lake where Grandpa keeps his boat. Do you think he’d mind?”

Myungsoo’s mother smiled softly and let out a very ladylike chuckle, adding a shake of her head. “Your grandfather would be honored to have your wedding. Maybe even a ride on the boat would be alright.”

Myungsoo grinned and looked to Hyesun, who stared back at him with an equally bright smile, albeit a bit unsure.

Only he noticed that, though.

“That sounds perfect,” he nodded to their parents, squeezing Hyesun’s hand tightly. He then bent to kiss her cheek, but paused to add something for only her to hear. “I’ll teach you how to swim, I promise.”

 

“It’s easy,” Myungsoo begins, though Hyesun is thoroughly distracted.

Her fiancé removed his shirt as soon as they got to the lake, barely out of his father’s car. He grasped her hand and led her down the path to the water’s edge – azure in color and sparkling like aquamarine jewelry (she knew this because of the earrings her soon-to-be mother in law purchased her a pair of earrings with this gem, explaining that it was her soon-to-be husband’s birthstone).

And so, the shirtless Myungsoo in a pair or red-and-white swimming shorts waded himself into the water, waist-deep, and held his arms to his fiancée.

“Come on, you can do it!”

Hyesun frowned at the water. As pretty as it looked, she had no idea what hidden terrors could possibly be underneath. Could fish bite?

Squaring her shoulders in her thin bathing suit, hyper-aware that she showed Myungsoo more of her skin than she’d ever dared to before, she stepped closer to the water’s edge. Quickly, she looked up to her smiling Myungsoo, suddenly even more timid than she was before.

“I’m right here,” he encouraged, softer this time. “Just walk to me; it’s okay.”

Slowly, Hyesun stepped into the chilled lake water, letting out a soft squeal as the cold enveloped her legs. She began to hop around and almost ran through the water, to eventually collapse in Myungsoo’s arms.

“You did it!” he encouraged as he ran a hand through her hair, though she could feel his shoulders shaking with suppressed laughter as she clung to him.

He bent to kiss the top of her head, then, and smiled into her hair. “Now let’s have you actually learn the swimming part.”

 

“So, tell me about your dress,” Myungsoo grinned as he eyes Hyesun, who paced around the living room after what was apparently a bridal appointment gone wrong. He tried everything that he already knew would calm her down, but she seemed too worked up about something for even him to fix, and she wouldn’t tell him what.

“I can’t!” she argued, her tone exasperated. “Myungsoo, I just—”

“Just what, princess?” he sighed, leaning forward with his elbows on his knees. His his lips and tried to hold onto his patience, but he felt himself wearing thin. “I can’t help you if you don’t tell me what’s wrong.”

Hyesun collapsed on the chair across from him and ran her hands through her hair, pulling at the fine black strands. She then looked up at him with wide eyes and a flush that spread from her nose, outwards.

Then, he knew.

Myungsoo stood and crossed the room to her. He stood slightly to her left and bent for her hands, pulling her to stand with him and winding one arm around her waist as his free hand grasped hers. His head dipped down, lips against her ear, and he hummed a soft tune that he knew she loved.

“Myungsoo…” she trailed off, though she didn’t really have a thought to complete it.

The couple swayed around the living room, Myungsoo holding her close and humming into her ear and, as off-key as he was, the situation pacified Hyesun’s raging emotions and worries. With Myungsoo, all was well.

“I know you’re worried,” he breathed, warm breath ghosting over his fiancée’s cheek. “But I’ll take care of everything.”

 

1951

The wedding came far sooner than they expected.

Everything fell into place exactly as the couple had wanted it – small, at his grandfather’s lake house, and surrounded by their closest family members.

Hyesun was elated, but something still left her shaking in her pure white gown.

“Hold still,” her mother cooed, hands working at the ribbons to tie her daughter into the dress. “You look beautiful.”

“Thank you,” she breathed in response, letting out the big breath she hadn’t realized that she held.

The mirror in front of her captured every fine curve of the white fabric hugging the tops of her hips, then rippling out in gentle ruffles to the floor. She insisted on minimal makeup for the day – a decision to look as natural as possible, since she wanted to recognize the woman marrying her beloved.

Her sister, clad in blue, passed a bouquet of ivory roses to her as her mother stood behind her, now fitting her veil into her hair.

Myungsoo’s father popped in, his head followed by the rest of his body, and smiled at the scene before him. “We look just about ready.”

Hyesun’s sister nodded with a bright grin, “For food!”

The room erupted in laughter, calming Hyesun’s nerves for a brief moment as Myungsoo’s father handed her a note and a red velvet box. His eyes twinkled knowingly, and the bride took it with gentle hands.

“From your husband to be,” he nodded. “He asked me not to peek.”

Hyesun found herself smiling as the unfolded the paper. “But you did anyway, of course.”

Myungsoo’s father laughed loudly – a full bass sound that always pleased Hyesun, not quite the same effect as Myungsoo’s laugh, but it still made her smile.

He would be her family.

The note, accompanied by earrings, as her mother opened the box and put them into the bride’s ears as she read, was penned in Myungsoo’s fancy cursive and smelled like his cologne.

Princess –

No, I actually think I should call you my queen now, don’t you think? And we’ll live in a tiny castle together – it’ll be cozy and elegant and you’ll just love it, I know already.

I also know that you’re probably nervous right now, silly girl. Remember: it’s only me, waiting for you and the rest of our lives together. Tell me those two words (you know what they are), and I’m forever yours.

I love you, Mrs. Kim Hyesun.

Her heart raced still, though the words in the note repeated themselves in his voice to her – it’s only me – as she stood in behind the door leading to the rose petal aisle, to her husband to be.

Myungsoo, she reminded herself. Just Myungsoo, her Myungsoo.

Along with that, though, laid her future, waiting for her.

Soft music reached her ears as the bridal march began. The door was opened in front of her. Sunlight reached her face, but didn’t blind her. Instead, the orange light seemed to create a path for her, shining right onto…

Myungsoo.

Clad in a dark suit with his hair styled neatly (obviously done by his mother), her fiancé’s smile what was captivated her. His eyes nearly disappeared and his lips curled up, bright expression beckoning her to him.

Taking the steps felt like a dream. The priest’s words felt like a dream. Everything before her felt like a dream, even the man that tightly held her hands, still smiling brightly.

That is, until, he leaned slightly forward and uttered the words, “I do.”

 

1952

“Myungsoo, please!” Hyesun laughed as she laid her hands over her husband’s, which covered her eyes.

“Don’t you trust me?” She heard the grin in his voice, close to her ear, as he gently nudged her forward.

As soon as it started, his hands dropped from her eyes and he spread his arms as wide as his smile, gesturing to a small blue home in front of them.

Hyesun stared at it with wide eyes, a hand bringing itself to cover as she, too, smiled brightly. Yes it was small, but it was two stories and had pink roses planted under the front window, small enough and quaint enough for their little family.

Myungsoo leaned and took her hand to pull her into him, one arm around her waist as his free hand settled on the growing bump that was their child, sleeping peacefully in her stomach. He dipped his head to kiss her, smile still etched into his lips.

“He needs a better home than that apartment,” Myungsoo declared, rubbing a little circle on her stomach. “Three more months, princess. We’ll be a family.”

 

Myungsoo’s hands trembled when he got the mail on a December afternoon.

A lawyer knows better than to let his composure falter, but the envelope in his hands terrified him more than a courtroom ever could.

So innocent, the white envelope seemed. Clean, with a government emblem on it, glaring at him darkly, almost mocking him, as he stepped inside.

He set the less offensive pieces of mail on the table and quietly slipped around the house, in search of his wife and son. Upstairs, in the baby’s room, Hyesun kneeling with him, on the floor, toys…

Life was good for Kim Myungsoo.

Fate just had to come and tear everything he loved away from him.

He looked down at the envelope again, just realizing that he had since opened it and slipped the papers out. There wasn’t much reading required to know what it was. He knew, but he never wanted to allow it. He wouldn’t leave his wife and child.

But he had to.

The war in their own country raged on, but it seemed a world away as Myungsoo came and went from work, kissed his wife, played with his son, day after day, over and over and over again…

War. Papers. Family. Papers. War. War. War. The word repeated itself, banged around in his head, clogged his throat, tightened his chest.

He choked.

“I’m going to war.”


From youauthor

So I might have lied a bit. This is going to be a threeshot. But anyway, I hope you enjoyed this part! Sort of?

Constructive comments are always appreciated!