Memories Pt. III

Prom?

He pulled back from the kiss looking as shocked as I felt. “W-what was—”

 

“I should go.” He cut me off swiftly and pulled away, and before I could stop myself I missed the warmth that his closeness had provided.

 

At the slam of the door I jumped. That was about the only reaction I could properly express at that moment.

 

I thought about it countless times, over and over. That was my first kiss ever and of all times—and of all people, it just had to be Minho that took it at that moment. The thing was, I don't know how I felt. Angry? Happy? Disturbed? I don't know how to begin to feel about a Minho that wasn't just my childhood friend. Maybe if it was someone else, I could just laugh it off and my life wouldn't be so confusing. 

 

Or maybe its just this math homework that's confusing, I sighed inwardly and dropped my face into my textbook. I'd end up doing it much later this weekend anyway, who was I kidding.

 

That left one whole distraction-less night (and day) until prom. I shifted my head and looked over at my dress hanging on my open closet door and gulped. I've never been less ready.

 

My phone buzzed and prompted me to shift my eyes lazily to the far side of my desk, not even bothering to move anything but my outstretched arm as I pulled the phone closer to my face.

 

 

Minho 

 

 

Check the balcony

 

 

Received: 11:57 Fri

 

 

 

I stood up with a pop in my knees and ambled over to the sliding balcony doors, peeling back the curtains to peer out into the dark suspiciously. With a wary squint, I clicked the lock open and slid the door open. On the ground was a rose and paper scroll beside it, along with the chilling breeze of night. I gathered them up in my hands before slipping back in stealthily with a shiver. 

 

I stared at the rolled up piece of paper as I made my way back to my illuminated desk, setting the rose down onto it as I sat down. My eyes shot back down to my phone as another message came through.

 

 

 

Minho 

 

 

Did you get it?

 

 

Received: 12:01 Sat

 

 

 

Right, I guess I should actually see what it was. I tugged at the tiny ribbon and rolled open the note, squeezing the paper between my fingers. I nearly ripped it in half when I read the two lines it contained. I numbly picked my phone up once more after nearly boring holes into the page for a consecutive thirty seconds.

 

 

 

Minho

 

 

Also am i still your prom date, because..

 

 

Received: 12:03 Sat

 

 

 

I sighed, a crinkle forming in between my brows as I mulled over what I could actually say to him, because I was just full of responses tonight.

 

 

 

Minho

 

 

Yes

 

 

 

Sent: 12:07 Sat

 

 

 

 

 

 

Minho

 

 

And yes

 

 

Sent: 12:08 Sat

 

 

 

I sighed, falling back onto my bed and outstretching the note up towards the ceiling to read it once more. I couldn't even recall when I fell asleep because eyes open or not, all I saw were those two lines glaring back at me.

 

 

 

If you still don't know what to apologize for, then I'll help you out.

 

 

I'm gonna make you sorry for making me fall for you.

 

 

 

~~~

 

I woke up with bleary eyes and the sound of crinkled paper under my cheek. I think it must've been my mother calling that woke me up, because she only sounded this agitated after the third or fourth call.

 

“Finally, I swear you could sleep through a nuclear war,” she clicked her teeth in disapproval from where she was peeking in my bedroom door.

 

“Morning,” I sighed, my groggy morning voice sounding like death itself I'm sure, to both me and my mother.

 

“You get enough sleep, princess?” She cracked a smile. I nodded with a soft chuckle.

 

“Okay, well fix yourself up and come down for breakfast,” she ordered and added cheekily, “Minho's joining us.”

 

"Minho?" I popped up and rubbed my eyes as I walked toward the door.

 

"I knew that'd get you up," she smirked, ruffling my bed hair as I walked past her to the bathroom.

 

I stared back at my groggy eyes in the mirror for what seemed like forever. “What the hell Minho Choi,” I groaned. In the span of a few days he had single-handedly and simultaneously thrown off my entire idea of who he was and who I was and what the hell I was even doing.

 

It felt like my heart and my thoughts were thrown into a washing machine as I trudged down the stairs to meet whatever Minho was up to, even though I was hardly ready to see him after the events from yesterday.

 

Aside from the loud pounding of my heart, nothing looked unusual as I walked into the dining room. Minho was talking animatedly with my parents and nodded a greeting to me as I sat down stiffly at the table, nothing in his expression amiss from the usual Minho. 

 

Was I the only one affected by his recent affections? It felt like I was in a room of laughing people and I was the only one missing the joke.

 

“Honey could you help me in here?” My mother called out, interrupting my father and Minho's discussion.

 

He smiled tightly at us and stood up to go see what my mother wanted in the kitchen.

 

I stared at Minho until his eyes finally turned to meet mine. He kept his eyes on me and took a breath. “Hey.”

 

“Hi,” I returned, with a focused gaze.

 

“Big night tonight,” he finally added, breaking the tension.

 

“Yeah,” I dropped my eyes to my hands that were fiddling with my placemat.

 

His eyes followed mine before he slid his hand across the table to grab my hand.

 

We stared at our joined hands like that until we heard my father's footsteps approaching and our hands split apart, but not before a longing squeeze.

 

After breakfast I hesitantly walked him to the door. It felt weird not making jokes or shoving each other around like the playmates we used to be, but it was kind of nice. The silence felt right and in our lack of physical contact I felt more of a charge building up to make something.. Something new.

 

I opened my mouth to say goodbye but he smiled and grabbed my arm, pulling me out the door and down the stairs before I could. “I got something to show you,” he explained.

 

He walked me over to his house and I followed him through the side gate with no question until we got to his backyard, where he sat me down at the lounge table. “One sec,” he said before ducking into his house through the sliding backdoor. I eyed my surroundings, noting that there were shreds of flower petals here and there, I assumed were blown by the wind. Minho's mother grew plants and flowers of all kind, something that mesmerized me about their yard. Probably a reason Minho and I got so close was because I loved to be in their yard, feeling the sun on my skin and falling into the lush grass while paying catch and soccer. It was just so peaceful here.

 

“Okay, close your eyes,” Minho's voice made me turn to find him walking towards me with his hands behind his back.

 

“Okay,” I laughed when he gave me a pointed stare that indicated he was serious. I fluttered my eyes closed just to humor him, while biting back a smile. He lifted my arm and I flinched when I felt something cold around my wrist. 

 

“You can open them now.”

 

I opened my eyes, immediately dropping them to my wrist where a beautiful corsage rested, my hand gently being held in Minho's. I noted inwardly that both didn't look bad on me.

 

“I know that your dress is tan but I just got really into it I guess, and I wanted it to be unique, like you.” Minho all but spat out in a rushed explanation.

 

“You made this?”

 

“Yeah, I know it’s—”

 

“Really special.” I finished. “I love it, Minho.. Thank you.”

 

He smiled. “Aww, you're gonna make me blush,” he answered with a laugh.

 

“Yeah, sure,” I laughed back, picking up some stray petals from the table and flicking them at his face.

 

His eyes widened in surprise and he made the motion to do the same back, prompting me to jump up from the table to look for cover.

 

"Hey, Choi, no running! You're gonna ruin my work!” He complained.

 

“Fine,” I smirked, dodging him and keeping the distance between us while he tried to run around to my side of the table. “Hey, how did you know the color of my dress?” I suddenly asked.

 

"I asked your mom.” He said pointedly.

 

“My mom, you mean you told my mom.. that we're..”

 

He blinked. “What? Who did you think was bringing us to prom anyway?”

 

"So that explains why this morning..” I trailed remembering how excited my mom was to see Minho and how she kept glancing between the two of us, my face paling in embarrassment. “Minho, you better run ‘cause you're going down.”

 

He held his hands out defensively as I stormed towards him. “Okay, look I'll let you hit me just take off the—Oww, ow! Okay okay I'm sorry!”

 

 


[an] to those who have waited for minsul your patience has been rewarded!

i have some pics this time! heres what minho made for her:

and sulli's dress,

i really like her in this omg ;u;

so im gonna write another chapter for these two and maybe an epilogue if i still feel like i cant let go of the story lol but i'd like suggestions for other chapters; im thinking of making a kailli as my final story for this (i might just make it a seperate one shot bc this is feeling a bit repetitive lol) but if you want me to write anyone else with prom!sulli please shoot and ill see what i can do. Or if you have an idea for anything else, just request it as usual, i totally like recieving prompts/requests :)

also every time i wrtie something for minsul i get super happy omg, so ill try to channel that into something for you guys! i heartchu and thanks for reading ;u;