Final

Remember

People caught out in the storm outside ran under shop awnings to shelter themselves from getting wet. A blanket of grey gloomy clouds spreads out in the air and the sound of thunder echos everywhere. The rain poured down on the windowpane and made light tapping music. The weather described exactly how Diana felt; gloomy and depressed.

Diana sighed and glanced at the calender that hung on her bedroom wall. February 20th. Oh, how she hated this particular day of the year. She sat on her bed and pulled her knees into her chest. All she wanted to do was to be alone. All she could feel is the pain that lurched in her heart and regret.

"I remember the day I first met him." she smiled sadly to herself.

Flashback Start~

'Aish, why does it have to rain now?' Diane thought and mentally cursed herself for not bringing an umbrella. So there she was, just walking around in the pouring rain only in a thin t-shirt and knee-length jeans. She was freezing yet there wasn't anything she could do about it when she was no where near home.

Suddenly, a warm jacket was placed over Diana's shoulders and an umbrella was held over her, sheltering her from the pouring rain. When she turned around to see who was nice enough to help her, she gasped to see a handsome young man with a boyish grin on his face. His warm hazel eyes filled with playfulness and care looked into her own bright orbs.

"Kamsahamnida..." Diana quietly thanked him.

"Your welcome. I can't have a pretty girl like you be walking in the rain, can I?" Hong Ki said with a wink which made the young girl's cheeks flush scarlet.

Flashback End~

Elisya, her pet dog, jumped onto her lap. Sensing her emotions, he snuggled into her stomach and her face. Diana smiled sadly at him and held him close to her. He gladly snuggled closer to her and nuzzled his face into her cheek.

"Remember when I first got you, Elisya?" She asked him as her dog barked and wagged his tail in reply.

Flashback Start~

"Oppa! I wasn't serious back there!" Diana said as Hong Ki literally dragged her into the pet shop.

Apparently, she had joked about always wanting a pet dog so she wouldn't feel lonely as much when Hong Ki wasn't around. Hong Ki being himself took it seriously and decided that no harm can come from buying a cute little fur ball for her.

"So many to choose from. Kyopta~" Hong Ki completely ignored her as he stooped down to the floor to play with the little puppies that were let out for exercise.

There was one particular large dog that eyed Hong Ki which made him feel uncomfortable. He shifted to the side and the dog followed suit. He stood up and walked away and the dog followed. Finally, Hong Ki made a run for it and the dog playfully chased after him.

"Yah!! Mad dog on the loose! Ajhusshi! Help me!" Hong Ki yelled and tried to avoid the large canine behind him. 

Diana sighed and shook her head smiling. She couldn't believe that this goofball was her boyfriend. Yup, you heard right. They had been going out for almost a year now. She looked at the different variety of dogs around her but one dog caught her eye. She bent down in front of a small light brown puppy. It looked shy and stepped back away from her, unlike all the other dogs who wanted attention.

"Come here little guy. I won't hurt you." Diana gently coaxed the little puppy and held out her hand.

The puppy slowly sniffed her hand and nuzzled his head onto her palm. A look of accomplishment spread on Diana's face as she gently petted it. Hong Ki who finally escaped from the huge canine that was chasing him walked over to her and bent down to meet her level. 

"I'll name you Elisya and I'm taking you home with me." Diana declared as Elisya barked in happiness and her hand.

"He's cute. Not as cute as this one." Hong Ki said as he playfully pointed at himself with a proud smile. Diana laughed when Elisya started doing tricks and did some aegyo.

"I don't know. I'm starting to think Elisya is cuter now." She teased as Hong Ki pouted and started to whine like a little kid in protest.

"I'm cuter! Look at me!" Hong Ki said as he rolled over like a puppy and started barking.

Flashback End~

Diana laughed at the memory. She pulled out her scrapbook that she kept under her bed and examined the cover. The symbols D + H = ♥ were written on the front in big fancy lettering. It had gotten a bit duller over the years but it still looked really nice. Slowly, she turned the page to reveal pictures of her and Hong Ki when they first started dating.

With each turning page, she held the urge to cry out for her lover but she stayed calm and restrained herself. When she reached the last page, her breath hitched in . This time she couldn't fight the tears any longer and let them out. Her tears fell over a picture of her and Hong Ki when he confessed his love to her.

Flashback Start~

As she walked into her house, Diana blinked at the trail of rose petals that laid on the floor in front of her. She followed the trail and looked at the little notes that were posted around. One read, "Hello beautiful ♥." which caused her to blush. Another note read, "Your almost there. Just a little bit farther." She quickened her pace and saw that the trail led into the dining room.

She cautiously opened the door and gasped. In front of her was a candle lit dinner filed with delicous food and there were scented candles everywhere, giving the room a dim romantic vibe to it. Hong Ki stood beside it with a big smile and walked over to her.

"Finally, you arrived. I thought you'd never get home. You better get home earlier next time or you'll be sorry!" he playfully scolded her and sat her down in one of the chairs at the table.

"You prepared this for me?" Diana asked in disbelief.

Hong Ki nodded happily and looked straight at her in the eyes with so much tenderness and another emotion that she couldn't decipher. Whatever it was, it gave her that warm fuzzy feeling she had in her stomach again. She didn't know what it was either but she liked it.

"This is really sweet of you. Is there any reason why you did this?" she asked him as he fidgeted in his seat. He looked nervous for some reason and he took a deep breath.

"Diana, we were friends for a long time and I don't want to stay like that. What I'm trying to say is," he smiled and got down on one knee and held out a bouquet of roses. "Will you be my girlfriend? You can't say no to this handsome face can you?" he teased.

Diana felt herself blush and she finally realized her feelings for him. With a smile, she accpeted the flowers and said, "Yes, I'll be your girlfriend."

Flashback End~

She wished that he would just embrace her and tell her that everything will be okay. But it was impossible. He was gone forever. She remembered every little thing that happened that day. It was a few years ago and it was the day of her birthday. She had asked if he could come over. Hong Ki was busy at the moment but she insisted for him to come.

He finally agreed to see her and she waited at the street for him. When he arrived at the other side of the street and it was green light, he started walking towards her with that boyish smile on his face that she grown to love. It happened so fast. The screech of a car, seeing his body get hit from the force of the impact, and the pool of blood that he laid in soon after.

She couldn't beleive her eyes. She wished that it was all a dream but reality dawned on her. The car that hit Hong Ki hastily drove away. By the time they both reached the hospital, it was already to late. Hong Ki had passed away. They never did manage to track down the car that hit him.

If only she hadn't told him to come see her. He wouldn't be dead. It's been over 4 years but she couldn't seem to get over him. Diana picked at the corner of the picture and she saw a little corner of a piece of paper lying beneath it. Curious, she removed the picture to reveal a letter. It was fromHong Ki to her dated 4 years ago. 

Dear Jagiya,

Since your reading this, I'm guessing that I'm already in the afterlife. The truth is, my father is in debt with one of those bad mobs and as punishment for not paying them back yet, they're going after me. I'm sorry I wasn't able to be here with you, have kids with you and grow old with you. When I first met you, I knew you weren't just another pretty face. You were different from all the other girls and I'm glad that I've met you. Remember all the wonderful times we had together. Remember that no matter where I am, I'll always love you.  Remember that I'll always be waiting for you, no matter how long it takes. Saranghae~

Love, 

Hong Ki

Diana reread the letter a couple more times before bursting into tears. "Oppa...you should have told me. I love you, too. Saranghae~" She quietly said. A new wave of tears overwhelmed her again as she saw what was in the envelope.

An engagement ring.