Birthday

Mistook

This is the series of events that was supppose to happen on the 18th of July. The day a certain Lee Taemin turns 17 years old. 

At 3.30pm, he should be walking to the bus station from school. 

At 3.55pm he should be buying a ticket to get to his grandmother's house for his birthday dinner with his family. His parents were out of station and should arrive safely at his grandmother's house from the airport at about 5pm. 

At 4.00pm he was suppose to ride his bus. 

At 5.40pm he should have reached his grandmother's house. 

At 7.00 pm he should be blowing out candles while everyone sings him Happy Birthday. 

 

 

This however happened instead. Apparently by turning seventeen, his parents thought he was old enough to ride a simple public transportation by himself. He was old enough but apparently still incapable. 

At 4.00 pm, he stood in front of exactly two buses. One that was blue and another that was green. His ticket was blue, so naturally he thought the blue bus was the one he was suppose to ride. What he didn't know was all bus tickets were blue. Regardless of the colour of the bus.

So he rode the blue bus instead of the green one he suppose to have ridden and slept on his seat the moment he found a decent one. 

The trip that was suppose to take one hour and forty minutes to his grandmother's house had instead turned into a three hour trip to a sleepy town.

 

 

 

So now, at 7pm and still his birthday, Lee Taemin had found himself completely lost in a town he never knew existed. All he had was money enough to get him a decent dinner or a half-way ticket to go home. Half-way home still meant half-way lost, so he decided to stuff his face with a hamburger instead.  

 

At 8pm, the older by a year Lee Taemin along with his bag pack and a half-eaten burger was walking by the pavement road.  

 

"I am old enough to find my own way home. I am old enough to find my own way home. " the seventeen year-old kept chanting to himself.  

It was when he started to see the shops closing down and the late night bars opening up when he realises he is royally ed up. Its his birthday and he hasn't even blown a single candle yet. He blows candles every year on his birthday. And his family must be worried sick because only a Lee Taemin would let his cell phone run out of battery without noticing. 

 

 

So he walks until he reaches a place where people are suppose to help other people. When people are actually paid to help other people.  

Police Station.

 

Taemin sighs in relief. The prospect of him dying behind an alleyway on his birthday had seem to fade away.

 

Taemin walks into the station and sees a man a little too young to be a police officer, sitting on a scruffy old chair. Twenty-three Taemin assumes. He's good with numbers and guessing ages. Not so good with bus rides apparently.  

 

 

"What seems to be the problem? " the man, who Taemin decides is way too hot to be police asks him. Without even looking at him and having his head fixated to whatever document on his table. 

"I'm lost." Taemin mumbles.  

"What did you lose? "The (very, very handsome) policeman aquires. Not completely absorbing what Taemin was saying.  

"I didn't lose anything. I-I'm the one who's lost. " Taemin tries to say a little more clearly. The young police officer only then lifted his head to look at the supposed victim.

"What did you say your name was?" 

"I didn't tell you my name but its Lee Taemin." the policeman noted on his papers. Taemin read the nametag on the blue uniform. Officer Choi Minho. Minho. Minho. Choi Minho. And Taemin kept repeating that name in his head for some reason.

" And how old are you?"

"Seventeen. I just turned seventeen today." 

"Uh-huh. So how did you get lost?" 

"If I knew, I wouldn't be lost would I?" Taemin snapped. This is his birthday, he should be eating cake. Not sit in the middle of a old police station with a policeman that doesn't seem to understand what he's trying to say. 

"Okay. So you want to-?" 

"Go home. I want to go home please." 

 

 

 

"Quit standing there and get into the car." Officer Choi called out the boy. He had dragged Taemin outside to his police car.

"Yo-you're gonna sent me?" 

"Who else?" 

"Oh." he didn't expect that to happen. All he thought was for the (handsome) policeman to call his parents for him.

"Kid, get in the car or I'm going to leave you stranded here in the middle of the night." Minho entered the driver's seat. 

"I'm not a kid. I'm seventeen." 

 

 

 

"So where do you live? " the 23 year old asked. 

"Hold on." Taemin said as he took out his address book. 

"You don't even remember your own address?" The man was clearly amused. Because in his opinion only little kids wouldn't remember their own home address and this boy was such a cute lost puppy. In his sleepy town, nothing much ever happens. And when this puppy entered the police station, it was as if fireworks were cracking everywhere.

"That's why I have an address book idiot. " 

"Calling a policeman an idiot is against the law you know. But since you are still a kid, I'll forgive you." And why was this policeman so freaking annoying. He is seventeen. Not a freaking child anymore.  

"I'm not a kid." Taemin glared at Mr.Policeman while passing his address to the man. 

"You're cute you know that?"the policeman smiled at him before looking at the address. 

"Call me cute one more time and I'll kill you." 

"Threatening a policeman is also against the law." 

 

 

 

"Why are we stopping here?" Taemin asked when the man next to him stopped the car at a gas station. 

"Its a gas station. We're here to fill up gas. Because cars need gas to move. You know beca-" Minho tried to explain to the apparently seventeen year old. Really, in Minho's opinion he didn't seem seventeen. Probably younger. A lot younger and very pretty.

"I know what a gas station is for." Taemin mumbles.  

"Okay. So do you want anything? A lolipop or something?" 

"I'm not a kid who needs a lolipop. "  

"So gummy bears? Its going to take at least two hours for us to get to your house and I'm not going to stop anymore on the way." 

 "I'm not a ki- Purple ones. I want purple gummy bears." He liked gummy bears.

" Whatever you want birthday boy."

 

 

It was minutes later when the officer returned with two bottles of mineral water and a bunch of packets of gummy bears. All purple. He dunked everything on Taemin before filling up the gas for the police car. 

Taemin observed the man from the window. The policeman was very hot despite being annoying. And very tall. Taemin liked tall guys. And very lean and muscular but not quite. Which Taemin also really liked. It was nice really for the man to sent him home.

 

 

"Had a nice time staring at me?" Minho suddenly said when he entered the car. 

"I-I wasn't staring at you. " Taemin stuttered while lying. He obviously did stared. To the point he even notices the little(big) outline of the officer's lower half.

"You're not a good liar kid." 

"I'm not a kid. Aren't you listening to me? Its my birthday and I'm seventeen now. Seventeen is old enough not to be a kid." 

" But old enough to get yourself lost." Minho sarcastically says back. It was fun to tease the puppy.

"You think I wanted to get lost? Its my birthday and I-I'm suppose to be eating cake an-and have people sing me happy birthday and have presents-" Taemin says. His eyes getting watery. 

"He-hey, kid don't cry." The officer panicked when he saw the boy next to starting to cry. 

"I AM NOT A KID!" Taemin yells before he starts to cry histerically. Minho panicked and the boy cried even harder. 

"Okay. Okay. Don't cry. Taemin please don't cry. Please please. I'll do anything. Just stop crying." Minho begged the boy. People here knew him and they are going to think that Minho did something to the boy to make him cry like that. 

"Sing me Happy Birthday." Taemin stops crying and wipes off his tears. 

"What?" 

"Sing me Happy Birthday till I get home." 

"I'm not going to sing-" 

"Then I'll scream that a police officer is trying to a innocent seventeen year-old." 

"Yah!" 

"Sing. Now." 

 

 

And throughout the entire journey home, Minho sang. Taemin didn't let him stop even for a second. Minho wanted to yell at the boy but when he saw the happy glint in Taemin's eyes when he started to sing, he couldn't feel mad. In fact this would be the first time he enjoyed singing.  

After two hours and few more minutes after, they reached the house and Minho stopped the car right in the front. 

"This is your house? " Minho asked softly. His voice was strained from singing Happy Birthday for two whole hours. 

"No." 

"But this was the house on the address." 

"Its not my house. Its my grandmother's house." 

"Its still your house." 

"Technically not." 

"Good night. " he said to the birthday boy when Taemin opened the car door to exit. 

"I-um thanks. For the ride you know. And singing and the purple gummy bears." Taemin tries to thank the officer.

"Its kind of my job to help lost little kids." 

"I'm not a kid." Taemin says madly. Why does this guy not get that he is not a kid anymore.

"I know. Its your birthday and you're seventeen now. Not a kid." 

"Good." 

"And Taemin-" Minho calls out before Taemin left the car. 

 "Yes?" The boy turns to look back.

"Happy birthday. " 

 

 

 

Its a year later when these series of events happened on the 18th of July. The day Taemin turns eighteen.  

At 9am he woke up and took his shower and left the house a little later than 9.30am. 

At 10.15 am, he buys a ticket at the bus station. And this time he knows exactly which bus to take because he doesn't want to get ing lost again.

At 12.30pm he reaches his destination and walks around the (still) sleepy town.

At 12.47 pm he walks into a old police station and sees a man still way too hot to be a police officer sitting on a new chair. 

At 12.48 pm he sits on the chair in front of the policeman's table. The older man giving him a small smile.

 

"What seems to be the problem? " the man asks.  

"I'm lost." 

"Okay.So you want to-" 

"Stay." 

"Stay?" The man leans forward to look at the still very pretty boy. Having a small smile tugging at the end of his lips.

"Yes.With you. I'm eighteen. Not a kid anymore."