end

born to be free

It happens more often during the summer, for obvious reasons.

They’re all somewhat used to it by now, as much as they can be, and it’s not really awkward or anything – but they’ve learned to notice the signs that lead up to it.  Sunwoo and Junghwan have a check list.  

It usually starts with Dongwoo tugging at the neck of his shirt and just plucking at it like it’s clinging too tight even if it’s a loose shirt.  He rubs at his neck and arms, more so on particularly warm and humid days.

It’s warm and humid today.  The heat is sticky and heavy, the kind that clings to the skin even after Sunwoo closes the windows and turns the air conditioning on – and Dongwoo is rubbing his neck, brows furrowed and lips pursed.  He glances up from his notebook briefly, more out of habit than curiosity.

Really, they’re all used to it.  Even if any of the others were in the dorm right now none of them would say anything about it, maybe trade a few amused looks at most.

Dongwoo paces by, his discomfort progressing like it normally does.  According to the check list, it happens in four stage.  He thumbs at the waistband of his pants, and though his shirt is covering it, Sunwoo knows that Dongwoo is prying at the elastic of his underwear with his thumb, gliding along the shadow of his hip bones.  Sunwoo doesn’t even need to look to know.

He watches the way the thin fabric shifts as Dongwoo fidgets.  

Sunwoo kind of wonders why Dongwoo bothers with all of the stages.  They’ve been living together for years, and while this particular quirk is pretty obvious and in your face, it’s not like they don’t all have their own weird thing.  

He walks by again, shirt hitching up as he rubs his hand across his stomach.  Sunwoo snickers and Dongwoo looks over.

“Just take it off already.”  If Sunwoo doesn’t say that stage three can sometimes last upwards of an hour, and then Dongwoo would just pace the dorm, touching and rubbing himself.  (And, of course, it’s not really awkward because they’re both used to it, even if Dongwoo answers with a bit of a slanted grin that’s somewhere between embarrassed and amused.)

His shirt goes first.  Dongwoo doesn’t just strip out of everything and dump it on the bed or something; he pulls off his shirt, folds it, and sets it aside for later.  The process is neat and careful, almost to the point of being comical.  And just because he’s used to it doesn’t mean that Sunwoo doesn’t watch – stare, really.  Dongwoo’s back is turned to him as he sets his folded shirt down, used to it or not it’s just hard to ignore.  He watches the way the muscles of Dongwoo’s back move, stares at the boney jut of his shoulder blades.

His pants and underwear come off together and he bends (more like leans, but it has the same effect) as he sets them aside as well.  It’s kind of impossible to ignore, isn’t it?  Sunwoo can’t help that he’s grinning and blinking rapidly when Dongwoo turns around.  He’s trying to not laugh, that’s all.  

Once he’s Dongwoo is completely unashamed.  It’s a bit of a contrast to how awkward, even shy, Dongwoo still comes across at times even after two years of idol life.  Then again, he has plenty to be proud of (inches, really).

Dongwoo laughs, his hand going up to rub at the back of his neck, the ends of his hair.  His other hand is on his hip, no hiding anything at all.  “You still have to stare every time?”

“Not like it bothers you,” Sunwoo answers, eyes flicking up finally.  

Dongwoo stretches, makes a pleased humming sound in the back of his throat as he does, and he’s basically on display for a few long seconds.  Sunwoo sees everything, it’s not the first time and it won’t be the last time but still, it makes him pause.  Dongwoo’s not heavily built, he’s too thin to be really defined, but damn if he isn’t nice to look at.  And because Dongwoo really doesn’t care Sunwoo feels free to check him out as much as he likes.

He admires the wide shoulders that Dongwoo’s so proud of, his narrow waist, and startlingly smooth body.  Dongwoo’s s are hard because of the air conditioning; Sunwoo finds it funny in a weird way, if he weren’t busy checking him out he’d probably laugh.

“Too cold,” Sunwoo asks, his voices ends up deeper and rougher than he intended.  He had meant to sound teasing, laughing, but Dongwoo is the one that laughs instead.

He shakes his head and grins, slanted, but a different slant.  He rubs one hand down the side of his thigh and the other against his hip but Sunwoo’s eyes flick back up to his face almost immediately, focusing on that slanted grin.

“Perfect, actually.  You should join me.”

It’s not awkward, not really.  It’s not even the first time (and it won’t be the last), Sunwoo grins and wonders if this counts as stage five.