Beep

After the Beep

Chuckles. "It says to leave a message after the beep. Seems like you never got around to changing the automated one to your own voice after all Jongin." 

"So...I honestly don't know why I'm doing this but when I found out, I  ended up dialing the number that I had memorized so easily. My fingers memorized them after all those years of gritting my teeth and forcing myself to forget those 10 numbers." 

"We met through a mutual frientd of ours. And you were honestly the most mesmerizing, wonderful man I met in my entire life. From Highschool to College, you were there for me. The perfect boyfriend, the perfect friend, the perfect human being. The perfect husband. Or so I thought. Ha."

"I honestly don't know where it went wrong. If you were listening to this you'd probably sneer and scoff. Of course I know what went wrong. I'm sorry. But I don't regret anything."

"I really did believe fate would somehow bring us back together again. I dont know, maybe somehow through another mutual friend and you'd fall for me the same way I fell hard for you at first sight. I always kept your picture in the secret compartment of my wallet because I never wanted to forget every feature. I always wore the silver band that you got us on our 3rd year. I'm looking as I'm talking right now." 

"Its really uncomprehensible by reason, how hard I fell for you. How much I loved you. No, how much I love you. I still do Jongin. From your stupid little habits of biting your lips that I always nagged you about, to your stupid imitation of Crong that I teased you for until you got mad at me--all those things just made me fall harder and harder for you."

"But you can't just keep falling. Gravity has its weaknesses too. And I guess that impact point was that day. I won't forget it. I can't. It haunts me in my dreams, my thoughts, and my reality." 

"I still have the SJ box. Remember you called it the Soojung Jongin box and was all happy because it ended up spelling my initials and our names as well? That was so adorable. You looked so excited ing that cardboard shoebox bound in pink tape at me, smiling like an idiot. I guess you were that much in love with me huh. But I still look through it like a ritual."

"Theres the pair of shoelaces wrapped in a plastic baggy. You'd given them to me instead of the whole shoe, because it was the first pair you'd ever danced through until you couldn't wear them anymore. I know you were going for a kind of Dream High 2 thing, but this was much more better. And then theres the dried rose I kept. It was the day you showed up on our 1st anniversary and this huge boquet of red roses at me and told me you loved me. You don't know how hard my heart beat at those words. It still smells amazing. Even after its withered, it still has traces of life in it. Just like our love." 

"Then theres an empty cup ramen label, from the day you tried cooking me dinner but almost started a fire. It still brings a smile to my lips when I think of the moment when the alarm rang and everyone in the building had to evacuate and you took me out to the nextdoor supermarket and we drank soda and ate cup noodles on the cold plastic table." 

"There's also the velvet ring case. The rings still on my left finger. There are two little spaces left for both. Both are empty. Do you still wear yours Jongin? Or have you lost it already, forgotten? Do you think about me everday like I think about you?" 

"Our graduation caps right next to eachother, and inside, S  J. And bobby-pinned to the rim, is the polaroid of us together. There are a few more scattered through the box but this ones my favorite. Our arms both loaded with flowers and papers and pictures, but that moment, you dropped everything to the wet grass and hugged and kissed me like there was no tomorrow. And then you freaked out because you crushed some of your flowers and I laughed and gave you some of mine." 

"There's so much more but I can't bring myself to completely go through it because it's like picking a scab. To much and i'll bleed. So day by day, little by little, I go through our memories and our love."

"And I really wish that its not memories, but the present. Not dreams, but reality. Not past love, but just...love." 

"I really don't know why I'm leaving this message anyways on the phone that you replaced a long time ago. I don't even know why it hasn't been replaced by someone else. But I'm hoping you hear this. No scratch that, I hope you don't."

"Be happy Jongin. That's all I want you to hear." 

 

I love you.

The girl shakily held the phone to her teary cheek, her trembling hand holding his wedding invitation in her other hand. She sniffled and looked up, blinking the tears out of her eyes and lifting a petite hand to wipe away the vulnerability. 

 

She straightened up and flashed a sad smile and spoke with a trembling but positive voice.

 

"Hi, you've reached Soojung and Jongin. We're too busy being happy to come to the phone right now. Please leave a message after the beep."