Star Butterfly Home - Woohyun

Star Butterfly Home - Woohyun

Chopping the vegetables was your job whenever Woohyun was cooking. He was a kind chef as always asking you to do little things just for a kiss in return. Walking over to the large pot with your cutting board you brushed off the freshly cut vegetables into the warming broth below. Moving back over to your station Woohyun began to stir in the remaining spices and secret ingredients. Watching each cut was very repetitive for you. Just for a second you looked up to admire the sunset that was clashing against the crystal trophies that you and Woohyun had won. Pain shot into your finger as you let a cry out from your lips. You looked down dropping the knife on the cutting board. Grabbing your finger you ran to the bathroom to clean and wrap it. Woohyun came running into you as he saw all of the blood that was on the knife and the cutting board. He rushed into the bathroom as you tried to wrap it yourself.

“Jagi let me help you, you can’t do this by yourself” Woohyun grabbed your wiggling wrist as you tried to pull away.

“I can do it” You stated still trying to get out of his grip

“You are so stubborn!” His voice got louder and harsher as his grip turned into a vice

“Yah I can do it!” Your voice increased as well your balance from the counter soon began to falter.  Within seconds you went from being on the counter to hugging the tile floor. You got up and pushed past Woohyun.

“I can do everything by myself I don’t need you!” Facing him you pulled your hoodie from your drawers and ran out of the apartment. He stood there in awe as you stood up for yourself. He was accustomed to be your protector but now, you had grown up and matured. He liked the new side that he was seeing. The slamming of the door deathly echoed through the apartment as he walked to the kitchen finishing the meal that you helped prepare. He waited for you to come back, hoping that you would so he wouldn’t have to be alone tonight.

--

Running wasn’t your favorite thing, but it was one of the only ways to let yourself go. Let yourself free from everything and everything. You didn’t care what you looked like, even though you were in your pajamas and your hair looked horrible, you didn’t care, you were hurting too much right now. Slowing down to catch your breath, you realized that you were running to your old house. Pulling out your phone you caught the time, hoping that your parents were still home you called the house phone. You sat next to a tree that loomed over you as you listened for the dial tone.

“Hello?” Your father’s comforting voice called you

“Hi, Dad” You sniffled a little bit relieved that you caught him

“What’s wrong? Do I need to come and pick you up?” Your father could sense something was wrong; you nodded forgetting that you were on the phone. The line fell silent as you could hear his footsteps and that car starting in the background. He continued talking to you even though you didn’t respond all of the time.

A pair of lights ran up the small country road that you sat next to. The car pulled up next to you as you sat their frozen. Your father emerged with a blanket in his arms. His breath curled from his lips hitting the frozen air.  He knelt down next to you, lifting up your chin after wrapping the warm blanket around you.

“Let’s go home, butterfly” Nodding slowly your father held your hand and walked you to the car just like his used to, like nothing had changed. The old car smelled of him and his comforting scent, leaning on his shoulder you two didn’t need to speak a word. He trusted you, you trusted him. The car ride was filled with your tears and reassurances from your father.

“Thank you dad” You kissed him on his cheek just like you used to

“Sure thing butterfly” He helped you out of the car as you wrapped him in a loving hug. Entering your old house, flooded back memories of you and your childhood all before Woohyun; “Would you like our usual?” Your father asked moving a pot to the stove.

“I would love that” You sat down on your stool that was always reserved for you. Over the two cups of hot chocolate, two hearts became one through tears as you told your father everything.

“You can stay here as long as you need to butterfly” He kissed your forehead taking your cup and leading you to bed. “I put some of my clothes on your bed since you won’t fit moms” He chuckled as you both bid each other goodnight.

Slipping into the clothes you splashed your face with warm water trying to wash away the night and your feelings. Climbing into your bed you perched yourself by your old window that you used to make wishes out of every night. You found your favorite star and began to wish once again. You confessed everything that you could to your little star that twinkled even brighter, playing with the bandage around your finger that you had sliced a few hours ago. With time you fell asleep.

--- A week later ---

Trapped with your feeling trying to ignore them and him; he was everywhere which you didn’t mind before but now you noticed every single thing. His phone calls came constantly, having to resort to turning off your phone; you shut your world off from him and his. A knock came from the front door as you ran into your bedroom, slamming the door. Your kind father answered it for you.

“Annyeong I am here to talk to ______” Woohyun was at the door. Your door opened a crack

“I don’t think that she wants to talk to you right now” You father crossed his arms with his stern voice, you emerged from the safety of your room. Walking up behind your father, hiding behind hid strong shoulders.

“Ah ______” Woohyun bowed to you, bending down bowing on his knees, you didn’t say anything.

“Say what you need to and then go” Your father read your mind once again as you nuzzled your head into between his shoulder blades.

“I was impressed by you, the way you wanted to take care of yourself the way that you are maturing. I am really impressed. I was always your protector and I want to always be, but I have to remember that you aren’t a little girl anymore; I have to remind myself that you are a beautiful woman that is independent and that I have to let you go before you can grow more. Just like a butterfly” Woohyun used the exact reference that your father always used for you.

Butterfly

“Will you forgive me ______?” You peeked from your fathers shoulder as Woohyun said his final words to you. You looked at his sincerity, the way that he held his body against the front step as he confessed to you. He stood up and your father moved from you as you stood in front of Woohyun once again. Without another word you wrapped your arms around him and listened to his heart. His heart was beating like it did when he confessed for you. Now you knew for sure that he meant every word. His arms wrapped around you slowly holding you closer as you nodded your head into his chest.

“I forgive you Woohyun” Whispering into him. Now you knew that you were home, with everytine that you loved, he was your star and you were his butterfly and you both found your home, filled with love and understanding for one another.