End

White Knight

 

 

Cards were everywhere. Chips of wood, metal and everything else went flying around as you run up the stairs. The whole casino floor; full of frantic people ducking, running, crying, and bumping into one another as they avoid the chaos that has started to happen around them.

You cover your ears as you try to find the nearest exit. But to your luck, it was blocked.

You know there was no way you can escape from all this, you know you’ll die if you’re still inside this casino in the next 20 minutes.

Looking for a place to hide, you crawl from one table to another. You couldn’t believe that you’re actually in there; in a casino shoot out. This surely doesn’t happen in real life.

You went to Vegas knowing very well that the sin city is a place you can have fun and forget about the world. It’s a place where no one cares who you are as long as you’re there to indulge in its lights and wonders.

The gunshots were thrown everywhere; like confetti on a birthday party. You stay on that corner table by the sculptures where you know that you could be safe, momentarily.

You try to catch a peak of the scene. You see two men, no, four, six? No there were more.

Debris started to fly to your direction and you hide again once more behind the table. You tried to scan your surroundings, you told yourself to calm down so you could think straight. You breathe in, and then breathe out. While scanning as far as your eyes could see, you noticed that there were also people like you; hiding for their dear lives. You saw some injured people, and also, around three bloodied bodies that were down on the floor. Tears started to form when you realize that that could be you. You’re helplessly hiding with nowhere to go. You start to pray and you wish that those goons just killed each other already. 

 

“ YOU, PIECES OF ! The jewel. That money. That con was ours!”

 

You tried to see who the man shouting was. Tall and disheveled; the man had long blonde dreads with a dirty bandana wrapped around his forehead. His long patterned coat flew as he ran to chase another man; his jeans dirty from all the mess around.

 

“Like you said, er. ‘May the best man win?’” replied another man with deep resonating voice

 

Shots were fired back and forth; they were closer to where you were now. You want to move away from your spot but you’re afraid. You cover your head with your hands and push yourself closer to the corner. There was a gunshot that made way toward your table; and it missed you by mere inches. You almost let out a yelp but your voice is gone. You want to scream but you’ve lost your voice from shock. Tears were flowing down your cheek non-stop. You were so scared because you still have so many things to do. You’re young. You can’t die here; A shameful death at a Vegas Casino; just a part of the many people who died for pleasure. People wouldn’t even bother to know you, or your story. You’ll just be one of the names of this tragedy.

You peek once more and you noticed not a lot of people were running now. Did they find an exit? Did they die? Are they hiding? How can you not notice what happened.

All of a sudden, you hear another person talking; he’s just about 3 feet away from your table. You pray even harder, hoping that they don’t fire shots in your direction.

 

“Well, if you weren’t so slow you wouldn’t have lost it. Tsk, running back and forth the busy streets of Vietnam, only to lose it. When our men were able to get the jewel, we had it delivered to Philippines right away. Escaped and sold it to the highest bidder. Easy as .”

 

You were so sure you would receive shots at your end. That man near your table was forcing himself too much. You took a deep breath as you tried to slowly inch away from the table. The man kept stepping back and he bumped the table: causing you to let out a cry.

He saw you. You’re ed, and you know it. He looks at you in the eye and you could only look back. The man had dark onyx hair up until his chin, his hair parted in the middle, and his face is as white as paper. He had a few scratches on his face and a cut on his lip but he looked perfect anyway. He donned a white suit and black pants, but his white suit is now a bit dirty from the fight that has been happening.

You notice him give a haughty smirk as he watches you cry your eyes out, he shook his head at the sight of your stunned self.

He faces away from you once more, but you can hear him talking to you softly.

 

“You, stop crying there and start moving.”

 

You ing sold it?! Kim Himchan, I hope you have a death wish.”

“Hah, why Piyo? You’re gonna fulfill it for me?”

 

You watch the two men bark at each other. You’re still stunned and no matter how many times you tell yourself to move, your body won’t comply.

You watch the tall man as he looks to his side. He tries to check your presence at the corner of his eyes. He curses under his breath when he still finds you there on the same spot.

 

“, You… move, please. I don’t want to have to watch you die.” The man mutters lowly so you’ll be the only one who could hear him.

“Y-you.. help?”

“I’m not a saint. I’ll hold them off, ok? Just move as far away as possible. Maybe that room over there.”

“Th-thank you.”

“Thank me when you’re still alive.”

 

He wasn’t the sweetest gentleman out there.  But you knew you were dead anyway. You’re just so happy that this man is letting you live a little bit longer. Your body complies this time and starts to move from one table to the next. Just when you reach the next table, shots were fired once more.

 

“You think we wouldn’t find you?!” A short man with spiked up black hair spoke wearing an over sized shirt and with a bandana tied around his arm

“You found us, congratulations Taeil.” Another man spoke, he was also wearing a white suit, and his hair was neatly pulled back to the side.

“We’ll kill you!” Shouted the man wearing a black sleeveless top with tattoos all over. 

 

The tattooed man started firing shots and the gun parade started within the two groups once more. You’ve learned to classify the distinction between these two; the disheveled pirates; and the mafia dons.  At least that’s what these men looked like to you. You were pretty far out from the shooting now; you’ve managed to get in a private casino room. You were watching by the window cautiously as the men make a show of gunpowder and blood.

With a better view you count the number of men shooting each other at the floor.

Thirteen. Seven from the pirates, and six from the mafia

You watch them all. About 3 from them pirates have somewhat serious injuries.

And about two from the mafia have their white suits painted with bright red; the red haired one on his arm, the brunette with deep eyes on his abdomen.

You watch them, and then you lay your eyes on the man who helped you. He was shooting at that man with tattooed arms. You watch him, he’s very skillful with is gun. His eyes focused on his target as he fires his shots. You watch him dodge the bullets, dock from every potential shell that can lodge onto his perfect white skin. Yours eyes shift on the other man, his arms are muscular. Compared to your savior, this man was much more springy, he moves a lot but he hits just as good. You watch the man skillfully dodge every attack your savior fires at him.

You’re amazed that you’re seeing something like this with your very own eyes. You ask yourself once more if you’re dreaming. You’re just so sure that things like this don’t even happen; and definitely not when you decide to go for a vacation.

You pinch yourself once more to check if you’re dreaming, and you aren’t. You kept praying that the police intervene this time and that you be able to keep your spot as long as you can. You watch once more and you saw one of the pirates get shot straight to the brain. You couldn’t even dare look anymore. That was mortifying, you never saw something as morbid as that you’re whole life. You find yourself crying again as you sit at the corner of the room.

The voices of groups and their so-called toys aggravate your soul so much.

 

~

“MINHYUK!!!!”

“ERS YOU’LL PAY FOR THAT!!”

~

“Zelo, Daehyun’s fatally shot, stay with him!”

“ it, don’t worry about me Youngjae! Hold them off, if you remove Zelo, we’ll all die.”

~

“Yukwon, get a hold of yourself! Minhyuk is dead, if we don’t get anything out of this.,, his death is a waste!”

“I will kill that Yongguk, , he killed Minhyuk.”

~

“Jongup, how’s the arm?”

“Numb. But I can take it..”

~

“How’s our ammo, Kyung?”

“Not much Jiho, not much..”

“Jaehyo, grenade?”

“2.”

“Great… I’d rather we all die than to let one of those s live!”

~

“Zelo, how much more do you have on you?”

“Just 10 more, hyung”

“Himchan?”

“Yongguk, I’m all out.

“Youngjae, any plans?”

“If we all want to be jailed, I have one. Right now, it’s just a head on battle.

“Gentlemen, If we all die today, I want to tell you it’s been a pleasure knowing all of you.”

 

You heard more shots fired, you started humming tunes in your head, you want to silence these loud booming echoes that fill the room with so much fear. Suddenly, you hear a familiar tune; it’s weird, peaceful. Safe. You’re not sure where you’ve heard that tune before, but it always gives you an assurance that you’re safe.  

You listen back to reality and you don’t hear loud noises anymore. Just voices. You gathered yourself and you look up the tiny window once more.

 

“We, we should stop.. Jiho.”

“Why, why… you’re dead and you know it…Bang”

“You’re dying too.”

 

There were only four people left standing. You scan the floor with your eyes, trying to find where the other members are. All of them are lying on the floor somewhere. Half dead, or dead; you’re not even sure.

You check the four people standing there. It’s that man with dreads, and that tattoo-ed man. On the other side, it’s your savior, and that tall man wearing dark glasses.

You couldn’t breathe anymore. You watch the two groups walk closer to each other.

The two gunmen pointing both their guns at each other’s head while the two leaders stand face to face.

“Let’s reach an agreement?” The man with the glasses started to talk

“I don’t do agreements, Yongguk.” Spat the man with long dreads

The pirate takes the grenade out from his pocket. He holds it up and puts his finger inside the pin.

“You see, I will just damn us, and all of the people remaining here. I don’t do ing resolves.”

 

You were surprised that even before the man with glasses could speak once more, the tattooed man shot him on the head. You’re savior was taken a back and he immediately shot the tattooed man on the neck and watched him choke to death on his own blood.

 

Right now, It was just between your savior and the pirate leader.

 

“Go ahead, shoot me. I’ll pull this pin even before we die.”

“Jiho, I want a resolve.”

“Didn’t I say this just now, in front of that dead right there: I don’t do resolves.”

“I’ll give you all the money.”

“Why would I believe you?”

“Because I need my life.”

“Are you ing with me?”

“Do you want me to beg?”

“er.”

“I found her. And I need to live.”

“Hohoho, aren’t you romantic?”

“Jiho please.”

 

You watch your savior throw his gun down on the floor and go down on his knees. He puts his hands above him and he hung his head low.

 

“Woo Jihoo, let me go.”

“… get out of my sight you disgusting .”

 

You watched the pirate kick your savior in the gut. Your savior falls to the floor and blood starts to come out of his mouth. The pirate repeatedly kicked him all over his body but not once did your savior scream.

 

“er, you have no dignity. Your comrades are all dead and you beg for your life.”

“I… just. need…. to live..”

 

With one more kick to the gut the pirate walks away from your savior. You couldn’t understand what was happening. It didn’t even make sense.

Then you see your savior using all his strength to stand up. He starts to walk. Limping towards your direction. Will he kill you? Why? What did you do? He starts to get closer and all you can do is hide yourself in the farthest part, hoping that he would give up searching for you.

You hear the door creak; his deep soft whispers fill the room.

 

“Juli-ah”

 

He knows your name? Why does he know your name?

 

“Juli-ah, come out please.”

 

You don’t even know why you stepped out of your hole, you must be crazy or suicidal because you know that the man calling you can blow your brain to bits at any moment. But his voice, there’s something about the tone of his voice that reminds your of your head tune… his voice makes you feel safe. He pulls you in and hugs you really tight. You can feel tears fall on top of your head as he rests his chin on your head. You wanted to ask him a million questions, but you dare not break the silence. His spirit was calm and his sobs were filled with innocence. The man puts his hand behind your head and started to caress you. For some weird reason, you too, start to cry. You couldn’t explain why you were both crying. Is it of pain? Relief? Sorrow? Longing? Peace?

He pulled away and then he looks at you straight in your eyes.

 

“Juli… Do you remember me?”

“…I.. I don’t.. I’m not sure…”

“… It’s, Channie…”

“Channie..?”

 

He tried to hide his pain and disappointment by smiling but his eyes couldn’t mask it. You looked deeper into his eyes as he tries to make you remember him.

 

“You were 16 years old the last time I saw you…and before you left, I promised to protect you. Forever.”

 

“Channie…”

 

You kept repeating his name, maybe it would trigger something in you; a thought, a memory, a word? But you close your eyes to avert from his pained eyes. You wanted to give back something to your savior. You’re hurt because even if it’s just a thought you have to give, you can’t give it to him. You can’t remember him.

You were pulled back to your consciousness when he starts humming that tune.

Your eyes open as he hums the tune, a lullaby.

 

“Juli.. the first time we met.. You saved me from the children who were hurting me in the park. You even told me that you’ll protect me from then on.”

“You kept fighting for me up until I was 8.. I was a girly looking kid so I get picked on a lot. But then one day I saw you crying. I still remember that day, some boys picked you on and they kept teasing you. That was the first time I told myself to be strong. My savior is already crying, and it’s not right. I wanted to be stronger so I could someday protect you too.”

“You were very afraid of the thunder and that night was the worst. I was with you the whole night to comfort you. I felt ridiculous when I tried to comfort you because I’m younger than you. Still, I hugged you anyway and covered your ears all throughout the night. I started humming the tune my mom hums to me whenever I felt scared, you stopped crying right then and there. Afterwards you fell asleep on my shoulder. That night was the night I felt like I was finally strong. I could be your savior…”

“…but then you were moving away. I couldn’t accept it because I wanted to protect you more. But of course, it’s not up to us. We were young. That day, I swore to myself that I’ll find you. And up until then, I’ll be strong; I’ll learn how to be stronger, and stronger so that you don’t have to cry anymore. And when I find you, I promised myself to be your savior. To protect you forever.”

“Him..chan.. Kim Himchan. I remember.”

 

You finally remember his name. His face. He’s so different now from the last time you saw him. He definitely looks manlier. His once pretty face is now a sculpted masterpiece of a man. It was hard to believe that your ‘pretty-chan’ grew up to be such a stunning gentleman. His shoulders are broader and his arms are definitely stronger. Muscular. Toned. You look into his eyes once more and you recognize him. Finally. It’s your Himchan. Your strong-chan.

 

“Juli ah, I found you..”

 

He holds your chin up and places a chaste kiss on your lips. His tears are falling down your face. He breaks the kiss and proceeds to take your hand.

 

“Let’s go, You’ll be okay.. we’ll be safe.”

He leads you out of the room and he asked you to close your eyes.

“I-I’m sorry you had to see me like that… my life has been crazy. Juli, I became like this because I wanted to be strong..”

“Himchan.. you’re already strong, even before.. You don’t have to do anything more.”

 

He guides your steps one by one as he holds your hand tight. His voice is like the soothing melody that keeps playing in your head. His whispers were like assurance of hope; hope that the sun would rise again the next day. You were really happy to just follow him. Tears fall from your eyes once more. You’re at peace. You were home.

 

“OH AND KIM HIMCHAN, ENJOY YOUR LIFE IN HELL.”

 

You opened your eyes and you saw the tall blonde pirate, tossing something to your direction. The grenade. The pirate removed the pin from another one and dropped it at his feet.

Himchan grabs your hand immediately and starts running away.

You watch everything in front of you move in slow motion.

6..

You see Himchan running up the stairs as fast as he can..

5..

There was debris flying everywhere, Himchan didn’t look to where he was going anymore, he just wanted to get you off as far as possible

4..

Himchan is beautiful.. he grew up well..

3..

Sweat draped the whole of Himchan’s body. His hair is sticking to his forehead as he turns his face towards you. His hand tightens his grip on yours and he pulls you gently.

2..

He’s envelopes you in a hug.

1.

He turns his back from the floor..

 

--------

 

You regain your consciousness once more, your ears occupied by the deafening silence.

You tried to regain your senses one by one. Your body hurts like crazy. You’re mouth tastes like iron. Blood? What just happened? The room smelled of burning gunpowder and nauseating smoke. You opened your eyes once more and you see Himchan.

He was on top of you, his arms walled on your body, a fortress to keep you safe. You look at his face and he was smiling as he tried to speak again.

 

“I-I’m happy you’re okay..”

“Himchan, th-thank you.”

“Let’s go home?”

“O-okay.”

 

You then notice the fast spreading scarlet on his white armor. It starts from his chest then trickles down to his abdomen. You couldn’t speak. Himchan, he’s hurt. Tears fall from your eyes once more as you watch your savior slowly fade.

 

“D-don’t cry, Juli-ah. I can’t let you cry.”

“B-but, you’re… you’re … Himchan we need to get help please.”

“I’m.. hah.. I’m going to be fine..”

“No-“

“Shh don’t cry.. I’m here, so don’t cry.”

 

He asked you to close your eyes as he starts to hum the melody. You listen to him with all your heart. He starts it off once more, his soothing voice. He pants every now and then and continues once more. You wanted to open your eyes to look at his eyes. But you felt him gently place his hand above your eyes before he goes back to his hymn.

 

“Juli-ah.”

“I’ll protect you, forever.”

 

With that you felt his body drop to the side.

Your white knight fallen to the red queen’s side.