☆1☆ Amnesia

Hongdae Dreams

"Ga Jeonbom? That's strange." The man asked, handing me my name tag.

"It's Gajeon Bom. Just Bom. Like the spring." I replied, taking the tag out of his outstretched hand. So far, my life had been following the same routine. Every Saturday, I play at some old Coffee Shop. I get paid, on average, about ₩57,000. I pay my rent and I have just enough to last the week on my diet of ramen and rice.

And repeat.

I decided to move to Hongdae when I graduated from high school, figuring that if I started working on my music career now, and became successful, my mom wouldn't care whether or not I attended college.

But every night, Mom never fails to call and complain about my "lousy" life choices and that I should just come home to Gangnam and work at the clothing store if I wasn't going to school.

On my way home from the shop, there was a crowd outside of an already packed club. Cameras were flashing as a limo rushed to the front of the building. The driver got out and opened the passenger door, but nobody exited.

Someone was going in.

I stepped off of the sidewalk and into the street closer to the limo, but I couldn't see anything. So, I gave up and continued walking home. It was normal to see big name stars around here, so I wasn't as excited as the people who come here solely for entertainment.

I walked into my building and handed the landlord, my old guitar teacher, the money. He looked at the instrument on my back and smiled, "Youre still playing, I see."

"Yep. Just got back from a shop down the street."

"The one next to B Scene?" He asked, referring to the nightclub.

The man's eyebrows shot up, "Did you see Han Sujung?" He asked, excited. I shook my head and watched as his smile fell. He shrugged and turned back to his work.

Sujung? So that's who it was, huh? That name was all too familiar to me. Even though people might not believe it, Sujung and I used to be best friends. Even though she was 4 years older, we were pratically inseparable. I was always timid and shy, but she was always so...overly confident.

It was after an accident when her cofidence turned into straight up arrogance.

One night, Sujung had tried to convince me to sneak out to a party. I pressed against it and, finally, she gave up. I watched her return across the street to her house and drive off with one of her close friends.

And I slept by the window until she came back.

About a mile up the road, a huge crash sounded. I jumped up and leaned out my window. The old tree was toppled over and landed on top of a car.

Sujung's car.

My mom ran into my room and told me to get dressed. When we were outside, I look as Sujung's parents left their house. The ambulance were already there, and by the time we arrived at the scene, they had put Sujung and her friend in the truck. Her parents left too. We went back home.

The next morning, her mother called and said she had amnesia. She couldn't remember anything or anybody.

It's been 10 years and the only thing she still doesn't remember is me.