ABODE

Hello! Sunshine!

DARA’S POV

 

“Dara-yaaah!”

                A familiar voice calling my name made me turn my head behind me as I was playing with the flowers on the hospital’s garden, still on my hospital gown.  A smile made its way on me when another lively little girl ran towards where I was. Her long hair sways as she made her way to me. Her smile was perfectly projected on her face. I stood up and waved at her excitedly.

 

“Eonnie! Eonnie!”

 

                I called; jumping up and down. The reason why I was in that boring place had left my psyche in a moment, making the other girl frown. She stopped and hit my head. I stopped hopping and a grimace followed my animated beams.

 

“Jinjja, Dara-yah! How many times does mom need to tell you never to do that?”

 

                She shouted. Her child’s voice was too high pitched that I ended up fidgeting on its tone. I pouted as I caress my head and giggled at her sheepishly.

 

“A tons of times already, Bommie-Eonnie…”

 

                I replied without any means of annoying her. However, it seemed like she knew what my answer’s going to be. She hissed and calmly told me.

 

“Dr. Choi and mom are looking for you.”

 

Bom eonnie stared at me and crossed both of her arms on her chest which was hardly touching her flat chest, raising one eyebrow at me.

 

“You sneaked out of your hospital room again, did you?”

 

                Averting her thorough child gazes, I looked down as I answered.

 

“Uhh.. A-aniyo..”

 

“Don’t lie~” She pointed at me. “Dr. Choi and Mom were anxiously looking for you everywhere… Even the nurses got apprehended because of your action. Hah! You’re so dead Dara…”

 

                Bom eonnie teasingly told me. She knew that Dr. Choi and mom will end up scolding me for sneaking out of my hospital room. I hissed and gritted my teeth. Sometimes I hate my twin sister, but more often than not I love being with her. She often teases me; she would try so hard just to make me cry. Nevertheless, it’s always a failure. I do not know if she is still being a considerate older sister or she’s just bad at mocking other people. 

 

                Yes, we’re twins. But we’re not those usual twins that have the same face as the other one, wear same clothes or shoes. You can tell which one’s which. Medically speaking, we’re Fraternal Twins. Bom-eonnie is seconds older than me. Oh well, I am still the younger, spoiled one.

 

                As we were making our way back to my hospital room which was the same wing as my doctor’s office, I heard my mom’s voice weeping.  She was crying. I was sure she was. As I was about to go in and interrupt that what seemed to be a very important talk between my mom and my doctor, Bom eonnie grabbed my arm, it was so tight that I wasn’t able to make a single move from where I was standing. In surprised, I stared at eonnie and as if liked she understood what I was asking to her in silence, she shook her head. Until my doctor’s voice reverberated on my ear so clearly within the silence of the dead corridor.

 

“We did our best. However, we cannot stop her growth. And as she ages her heart might not keep up with that development. I will be honest with you, Mrs. Park.  Sandara is lucky enough if she reaches high school in that condition.”

 

                And with those verses, the weary cry my mom was controlling grew sorrowfully louder. I cannot remember what happened after that. I was seven back then. I couldn’t even recall what Bom eonnie did after she heard Dr. Choi said those words. But… Bommie eonnie had gotten more protective like she was before. It’s not that I am distressing about it, actually at first I was but now, I got used to it. God has set a time limit on my life after all. What is there to feel bad for?

 

PARK BOM’S POV

 

                As I was making my out of the bathroom, I saw Dara standing in front of our mirror. She was already on her usual white long sleeves polo and skinny pants but her polo was still unfastened up to her chest. From where I was standing, I could see her whole façade. She was looking at the straight sewn up wound at the middle of her chest. Her face reflected so much worry. I knew deep inside her, despite all those foolish, careless smiles throughout her years of living, Dara still frets up about what is to come. I probably wouldn’t know how she really feels. I am not the one who is on her shoe. I mean, if I have the chance to reverse the past, I will choose to become Dara and just bear that burden she has all her life. Yet, I do not know if I can handle it strongly just like her.

 

                That wound was caused by a heart transplant surgery she had years ago. I couldn’t say that it was successful. I do not even know what went wrong. Dr. Choi had mentioned that he too was shocked that despite of the surgery, Dara couldn’t be free as she was supposed to be. Activities that will strain her heart will end up immediately to lethargy and worse, death. She is lucky enough to be able to live life until now. But I am luckier to have her until now, I must say. In spite of her condition, Dara had been the strongest person in the family. I love her for that. I love her for everything she is. And I will take care of her. I will let no one harm her. She might probably the reason why I become like this, which as if like her whole life revolves around her own sibling. Call me clichéd but, it is the truth.

 

                Staring at her, which appeared like forever, I had finally decided to call for her name to capture her attention and to be able to see her smiling again.

 

“Ssantokki, you better fix yourself before I take a picture of you on that smexy appearance…”

 

                I teased. She almost leaped off of her position when she heard my voice. But her reaction had definitely given me the clue that was indeed in deep thoughts. Facing me with her polo still ed, she asked.

 

“Mwo?”

 

“Tsk. I said…” Still with my bathrobe on, I paced forward and reached out to her school polo and started fastening the buttons one by one. “I said to button your polo, you dimwit.” And on that perfect moment, I finished; flattening the white cloth, thereafter.

 

                Sighing, I looked at her…

 

“Hey~ Please, I cannot bear to go to class late again. And I cannot believe you are about to graduate in university soon. With a low class standing, I am surprised that you even reached this far.”

 

                Yes! Park Bom, your teases are on a rampage this morning! But no matter how harsh I am to her, she would always have her defence up.

 

                She sat at the side of the bed and started putting her shoes on as she began her counterattack.

 

“Meh~ if only I can drop out and play games until I am beat!”

 

                Dara replied positively. I gave her a “do-it-and-your-dead” look as I was putting my vest on before she smiled widely at me. She stood up and furnished herself a final preparation for school.

 

“Alright-o unnie, I am ready!”

 

“Yeah… Yeah… Just give me a minute…”

 

“Okay then I will wait for you downstairs.”

 

                She grabbed her school bag from over her bed and before she can do that certain movement that is considered as taboo for her, I exclaimed right after I heard the first stomp of her shoe’s heel.

 

“Park Sandara! No running!”

 

                And then I heard a hiss followed by a soft reply of agreement.

 

“Arraseo~~” She mockingly replied. And as she slowly makes her way out of our room, she whispered. “Bom Ahjumma…”

 

                And before I had the chance to actually react on how she addressed me, my loud and defeated “MWORAGO?!” had diversified with the sound of the door closing.  

 

KWON JIYONG’S POV

 

                I cannot believe it. After 2 years of staying overseas, I am back in Seoul. The place where I really belong, or not? On second thought, I should’ve never come back. If only dad didn’t bug me to do this, I will stay California and live my life the way I want it. That’s the way life for me after all. There are so many unscrupulous memories I wanted to bury somewhere deeper that had happened in this place before I found the sound, serene life I had in the U.S. But I guess I have no choice. I am the only son of a famous business tycoon. As much as I wanted to disappoint him, I, his son, known as Kwon Jiyong will do what he wants and graduate. Until then, I shall let him control my shadow, which is honestly, tremendously annoying.

 

                Staring at the clear firmament above me, I accidentally looked down from that high place I was in. It’s the quietest part in the university I am enrolled at. Few days ago, right after I transferred in, a close friend introduced me to this place, the only friend that probably the only person that did not left me even if once in my life I had tried to push him away. I guess, he is the only person that will honour the trust I gave him. Despite of the melancholies this university roof top keeps on giving me, I had considered this my favourite place. No noises, no endless chatters and girl screams. I could reflect about my life in here, how much I hate it. How much I detest most of the things that come with it.

 

                I am Kwon Jiyong. The sole reasons why I exist in this chaotic world is still a clue for me. No matter how much I beg for death or obscurity, it wouldn’t come. I never sought for an answer. So my question still remains “why”.

 

SANDARA PARK’S POV

 

“Hoaaaah~ Bommie-eonnie sure is a good cook!”

 

                Amazed how exquisite my lunch looked like I couldn’t help but squeal in excitement how much Bommie eonnie is such a great cook. On my lunch was a sausage, a kimchi and some few radishes and beef. The wind surges on my most favourite place in the whole university keeps on blowing my short hair that I keep on fixing it right after I put some delicious food on my mouth, savouring every flavour and love eonnie had put in it.

 

                I would love eat lunch with eonnie but she’s so busy with Student Council works that I would always end up alone on that boring yet refreshing rooftop. But I like it here; there is something in this place that is relaxing. I sometimes find myself spacing out, realizing that I am day dreaming. About my prince charming and life and so many random things. Negative thoughts would sometimes make its way and hinder with my pretty thoughts but… HEY! I am Sandara “Ssantokki” Park. No one beats me to it. It doesn’t even have a place on my clever mind.

 

                Even right after I had finished my lunch, I would stay on that place just to clear my mind and breathe in some good, fresh air.

 

                After hour that had passed, I heard the bell rang. It’s my cue that another boring class from the teacher I hate will about to start. Hatefully, I stood up from the sitting on the floor and took my lunch bag right after. As I was walking my way towards the rooftop’s exit, a figure of another person from my peripheral vision caught my eye. I stopped and turned to face that someone which was standing meters away from me. From an appearance alone, he isn’t tall and his hair has a touch of red colour in it. He is fashionably dressed but… it was the first time I had seen him there. Probably a transferee. My mind whispered.

 

                I was about to leave him when he moved on his peaceful stance. Jumping from where he was standing and on to the rooftop’s railings which students aren’t supposed to go beyond because it will be dangerous. It has some space on which one can stand on but one wrong move and one wrong jump from that high barrier and down, will cause you to fall all the way down to the first floor and BAM!

 

“What the h-”

 

                                I wasn’t able to continue with my sentence. Is this person going to commit suicide? And in school? I also dropped my lunch bag on the floor and the thing that Bom eonnie forbids me to do have slipped my mind on that moment. I didn’t know how I ran to that person too fast and be able to grab his right leg.

 

“STOP!”

 

                I screamed. Though panting, I was able to let out a clear yell. And a strong pull of his leg making another scenario that was unimaginable.

 

                However my heart… It feels like it’s going to burst. Eottoke?

 

KWON JIYONG’S POV

 

                It had always me wondering how it feels like going over the barrier or if ever has one gone over and sees the ground from that height completely. No, I am not even going to try and jump. I just want to see and feel an adventure. After all, the barrier the university had set up for everyone’s safety is uselessly low and easy to climb on.

                I made up my mind, I prepared myself to jump over and get back before everyone can see me and get myself into trouble. I had proudly hang on to the barrier’s bar and was ready to lift my left leg up for support when…

 

“STOP!”

 

An aghast scream made me lose grip and a hard pull from my right leg that completely threw me off balance that I was not able to react. Before I knew it, I landed on the hard, solid ground; sideways, falling over my shoulder. Good thing it wasn’t that high or else my bones will be dislocated in no time. However, I am still in pain. So that I feel less on my landing, I closed my eyes that I wasn’t able to see who that stupid person was. Who pulled me down just like that? Her girly scream still echoes vividly on my mind.

 

                Annoyingly, I lay straight and pushed my body upward into a sitting position with the help of my unaffected right arm. But before I could actually stand up, a hand held my right wrist, impeding me to do so. It was a soft, warm hand. Looking at my right, I saw a girl lying beside me, her eyes closed. Her breathing seemed to be unstable and she was still lying sideways too. She has a short hair, face is so small that I could describe it “cute”. In spite of her having a thin body and the obvious volatility of her condition, I could still feel the tight grip of her hand on my wrist.

 

                Understandably, she is that girl who stupidly pulled me off from that bar. I was about to shout at her. I ended up in pain and hurt myself because her clumsiness. I wanted to tell her to just mind her own business next time but what made me stopped were the changes that had surfaced on her face. I didn’t even know I was staring at her for that long.

 

                As the control of her hand on my wrist tightens more, I saw her smile. From her thin pink lip, though just for a second, it was a calm smile I saw right there.  Her eyes still remained close. And with a low voice, that sounded clear beyond that remote silence, I heard her say, that to be honest surprised me and wasn’t able to move for a while.

 

“D-don’t die. You’re lucky.”

 

                It was expressed like as if she was begging. I wanted to laugh at the idea she had created on her mind. Was she thinking of me about to commit suicide? Well, I cannot blame her. Everyone who would see me would think the same way. My appearance and expression is a giveaway after all. But a smile, neither a chuckle made its way out on me. I do not know why, but her sentence felt like daggers that had hit me but doesn’t make any sense. She wanted to give a message that I couldn’t decipher right out on that exact moment.

 

                I could feel my face turned relaxed from the grimace it had projected from a while ago. And on that calmness, I felt her hand left mine that it landed lifelessly on the ground. The brightness on her face had seemed to disappear too. Her breathing had then turned shallow and fast.

 

                Upon observing her, I knew what was happening isn’t normal anymore. My eyes went wide on the variation her body was making rapidly. Facing her, trying myself to calm down, I reached out for her and tried to wake her up. But to no avail, she didn’t respond. Bullets of cold sweats are on her arm as well.

 

“HEY!”

 

                I called but her respiration had just gotten worse. I do not know. The hell’s happening to her?

 

***

 

WRITER'S NOTE:

OMGEEEEE!! I had finally started~! -_-' finally~~ Yosh! Chinguuuuu yaaaah~ Rui had finally posted the PROLOGUE for her new FANFIC~ nyan~ I hope everyone had fun reading and will be waiting for your lovely COMMENTS, SUGGESTIONS and oh yes~ RUI is so open about CRITICISMS too~ mehe~

 

Hope to hear from all of you soon my dearest CHINGUUUUS! <3

 

Lotsa love,

Rui-chan~ :*