To: You

A Letter to Infinite

To: Infinite

Hello. I'm one of your fans from America. I won't even bother telling you my name because I know there are far too many of us for you to remember. Also, even though I can speak a little Korean, I won't be writing in Korean. Sorry. My skill isn't great enough yet. I'm writing you this letter because I had hoped that one day you would be able to read it, but somehow I don't see that day coming anytime soon. I'm sorry these words may never reach you. But these are just the words of one fan who can't help but feel like fate has stepped in her way. 

For now, I'm just going to reminisce a little. I remember the first time I saw one of your music videos. It was "다시 돌아와 (Come Back Again)." It had been out for about 3 months and I had been listening to KPOP for about 7 months. At that time, I was a fan of 2PM and SHINee so I didn't pay much attention. But when I heard that first chorus and when I saw those Michael Jackson-esque stage outfits, I told myself that you 7 would be something for me to follow. Your strong sound, your 100% synchronized dancing, your determined looks, those were all things I looked forward to seeing again. You all didn't have my full attention until "BTD" came out. I remember watching your teaser with a pouding heart and the first time I watched the MV and heard the full song, I cried. From that moment on, I couldn't tear my eyes from you. I remember staying up late so I could watch you perform live on music programs. And when you all won number 1 with "내꺼하자 (Be Mine)," I cried right along side you. 

Now that you've progressed anf grown with other songs that I've lobed just as equally, I can't help but feel like I'm no longer important. In my eyes you were always rookies, but now as I open my eyes wider, I can clearly see that that is hardly true. You've risen to the top of the entertainment pyramis. You are no longer the baby-faced naive rookies that I watched so closely in "당신은 나의 오빠 (You're My Oppa)." Now you're charismatic senior idols who have struggled to the top and made a name for youself. It has been an honor to watch you grow in such a way. I'm so proud of all of you, and sometimes it makes me cry. 

I studied abroad in Korea last year so I could learn Korean. In the back of my mind, I always felt giddy that I was in the same country as the 7 of you. I had hoped that I might be lucky enought to see you perform or go to one of your fansign events. However, it wasn't as easy as I had hoped. I wasn't an official Inspirit even though I had been a fan from your debut days, so that made it extremely hard to find out when and where you would be performing. But then again, the group was on a haitus. I luckily saw 성규 (Sunggyu) have his solo debut and Infinite H promote as a unit. 호야 (Hoya) and 동우 (Dongwoo), do you remember doing that fansign even in 부산 (Busan) at 신세계 백화점 (the Shinsagae Department store)? I was unfortunately unable to get into that event. I'm sorry I couldn't go in and support you. But I was standing outside listening and even though I didn't understand very well, thank you for being there. It made my heart race like crazy. 

Later in that year, I thought I would get my chance when the group finally came back as group. "남자가 사랑할때 (Man In Love)" came out and I prayed you would come to Busan so I could see you. But you never did. Instead you promoted in Seoul and then suddenly went to America to film another music video. I felt like fate was laughing in my face. You were where I lived, and I was where you lived. You were here. I was there. Destiny was keeping us as a distance. I looked at pictures from you trip. It looked like you had fun. You stood in places that I've stood before. I hoped America was everything you had wanted it to be. Sadly, you came back to Korean, but then directly went to Japan for concerts and events. During that time, I returned to America. 

This isn't the point of this letter. I'm sorry. I don't want you to feel badly. You already do so much for your fans. The point of this letter is for me to express my gratitude. So, Infinite, thank you so much. Over the past 3 years that you've been in my life, you have inspired me with your music. Your songs have made me cry, and made me stop crying. They have mended my broken heart, and even sometimes broken my mended heart. I have learned so much from you. Thank you for being there, and I'm sorry that I was never able to be there to support you. Even though I can't support you in person because I'm oceans away, I will always be with you in spirit. Maybe one day destiny will be on our side.

감사하고... 사랑합니다. 끝까지 같이 갑시다.

Written with much love and gratitude,

2013.07.10

From: A fan