You can't be

Regret...

Author's note: it was being forever since I have updated the story, and I had this chapter mostly written but I am suffering from lack of time because of school and I lost my inspiration for the story. It seems I have recovered it and I am about to be done with school in less about a week so hopefully the updates will increase soon. If anyone is still reading this, THANK YOU and and please comment so that I know someone is at least reading this. If not, I will just mark this as complete and leave it as it is.


-----------------------Key's POV------------------------

Up until now, Kibum had always been glad to have been a part of SHINee and a SM Entertainment artist. But right now, he wished he hadn't returned to South Korea. SM had asked them to do a SHINee "reunion" tour... It was nothing but fanmeets, and singing a couple of songs at every stop. Key didn't mind as long as Jonghyun was nowhere near him. He knew he could refuse the offer but the fans and the traveling... He wanted to do it. He figured it was okay as long as the shorter male kept his distance. After 2 years, it would do him some good to hang out with Taemin, Minho, and Onew. They had a week before the tour started. And the fact that Jonghyun had never been so annoyingly persistent was not helping. His phone's inbox and voicemail were full of Jonghyun's messages. The dinner had been three days ago and the Key was still getting used to being in South Korea and with his new job.

Realistically speaking, Key knew that Jonghyun would not stay away from him. They were still friends and up until some point they were still best friends. Aside from that, they, including the other SHINee members, were to be on tour for at least 2 months so they were going to be together all the time. There would be no where to go to avoid the older man. He felt that he had every right to be angry at the singer because of the fact that he was ignored for 2 years. He also knew that it would be better to deal with Jonghyun before the trip so that both could focus and at least talk to each other politely and with that thought in mind he pick up his phone and made the call that he had been dreading.

------------------Jonghyun's POV----------------------
Jonghyun let out a disappointed sigh as he pressed the end button on his cellphone after hearing the standard voicemail message. Kibum didn't answer, again. He just wanted to talk to the younger male even if it was for a few seconds. He looked up from the device on his hand to see a few of the make up artists scrambling to put the finishing touches on a few other idols before it was time to film the show. It was the only schedule he had for the day and he was thankful for the fact that Minho was the MC of this show since that meant that he could talk to the ex-rapper after the filming was done. He sighed once again as he stood up and a few seconds later, someone from the staff informed that everyone should now move to the set. Almost mindlessly, he walked into the set and sat in the chair that was reserved for him. He looked around the set with hopes of spotting Minho but had no luck. His luck went from bad to worse. Minho had to attend another schedule and had to leave immediately so they had no time to talk. Sighing softly, he followed his manager out of the building after the recording was done and was told that he had no more schedules since he was "free" for a bit before the tour. A week without any interviews, any variety show appearances, or any performances. Sending him with a smile, his manager walked towards his own car.

Arriving home, his phone started to ring and with a groan, he pulled it out of his pocket. He looked at the screen and almost hung up on Kibum from the shock of seen the name “Key” on the screen. He answered with shaking hands and a shy “hello”.

“Hey, I was thinking we could meet today... You know just talk?
He answered without thinking “Ah... I just got home”
“So you are busy?”
“No”
Jonghyun could picture the raised eyebrow Key wore when he answered before he himself knew that he was making little to no sense “Do you want to get together or not?”
“Sure”
“Okay where should we-”
“Come over. I'll give you the address and we can talk here. Maybe you can cook since-”
“Yah! I'm a guest and you are going to make me cook?”
“Yes?”
“You still have no matters Jjong... Fine text me the address”
With a grin, Jonghyun hung up a few seconds after Kibum and sent him the address before he sat down to wait for Key.

The knocking on his door woke him up. Taking his surroundings, the television was on with low volume and the half empty cup of water on the center table, he concluded that he fell asleep. A second knock reminded him of Key and he cursed under his breath as he stood up quickly and made his way to the door. He opened the door and processed to stare at the bags of groceries on the ex-rapper's hands before helping him with them and allowing him to enter the apartment.
Kibum's eyes scanned the living room and smiled softly at him. “You fell asleep waiting”
Jonghyun's embarrassed grin and a nod answered the question.
“Are you hungry?” Both placed the bags on the kitchen counter.
The singer cleared his throat before saying “yeah”. His grin grew a bit as he rubbed his eyes to clear the remains of sleep from them.
Key nodded “Wanna help me?”
“Sure” answered Jonghyun as he walked further into the kitchen. He could feel the tension between them which made him anxious. If Key had come over, it meant something. “So are you ready for the tour?” he felt like he was stepping on eggshells.
“Sort of... That's why I'm here.”
Jonghyun smiled at Key's approach; always direct. “Okay.”
“I'm sorry about what happened at dinner but everything I said is true and I think we need to be at least civil with each other during the tour since we are going to be together all day, everyday.”
.Jonghyun looked at the floor for a second. “I know and I don't expect anything else.” With that sentence, it seemed that Key relaxed and, in Jonghyun's opinion,most of the tension in the room dissolved. “But, I will try to make you fall for me Kibum” Key froze for a second and the tension was back. Kibum's lips formed a tight line. “I just want to be able to say that I tried everything I could to make you at least consider dating me”

“I told you that I don't want to date anyone. I'm not looking for a relationship.”
“I get it. Just... let me try”
“Jonghyun-”
“It won't kill you if you let me. If by the end of the tour, you feel absolutely nothing for me than I will stop and we'll be only friends”
“I was hurt by what happened you know... You chose Shin SeKyung over me and you want me to be okay with the fact that you are trying to make me fall in love with you?”
“But it was a stupid mistake-”
“That you made. You are just making it worse.” Kibum's eyes were focused on the ingredients that he had just pulled out of the bags and that he was now opening
“No. I am not. I just want to correct my mistake”
“Correct? I did not make a big deal when you chose SeKyung over me because you were still my best friend, what you should be trying to correct is the fact that you didn't talk to me for 2 years, that you avoided me, your best friend”
“I had my reasons Kibum” Jonghyun knew he was making this worse by arguing with Key about “his reasons”
The rapper started to look through the drawers and pulled out dishes that he would need to cook. “You know it's stupid”
“They are my feelings Kibum”
“You are probably just confused” Jonghyun saw Kibum turned the stove on and placed a pot over the fire
“I can assure you that I am not-”
“You can't be in love with me Jonghyun!” The younger man almost screamed as he moved away from the stove. His hands covered his face.
“Why not?”
“We are friends. Only friends.” He breathed through his hands before uncovering his face.
“I hope that will change soon”
“No”
“You can't say no Kibum, you felt something for me all those years ago so those feelings might comeback if I put an effort”

Kibum shook his head as he moved to place a few ingredients into the pot “Whatever Jonghyun. Try whatever you want but there is no way I'll fall in love with you. I barely even consider you my friend after these two years that we have spent apart. What makes you think I will trust you with my heart?”
The rest of the time that Key was in his apartment was spent in relative silence and once the younger male left, he was still trying to fight the tears that the rapper's words caused.