Chapter 1

Regret...

A/N: The text that is black is the present while the text that is blue is a flashback or the past. If you see, find any inconsistencies let me know please! I will try to fix them.


Jonghyun stared at the moon as he walked out of the S.M. Entertainment building. He was done for the day since he had just finished recording part of his upcoming single. The song was a love song for a drama and it made the singer feel melancholic. He wondered around the streets, while looking at the moon every once in a while. It had been a year three months, two weeks and five days ago since SHINee had disbanded. All 5 man decided that they had done enough and each went their own way yet they were all still in the industry somehow; Taemin had become a choreographer for S.M. Entertainment, Minho was now a well known MC for different shows, while Onew was now dedicated to musicals. Jonghyun had become a solo artists while Key... Well Jonghyun wasn't sure where the younger male was. Key... He stopped walking near a tree and leaned against it. He looked up with a unhappy smile as he remembered how Key and him had gotten into a relationship.


They had just recorded part of Hello Baby. It was in the morning, Minho and Taemin were making breakfast while the other three members were just lying on the floor. Out of nowhereOnew had started to wrestle with Key. The moment that the cameras stopped, Jonghyun had dragged Onew away and into their changing room. Out of nowhere, the three remaining members heard screaming.

 

What's going on?” Minho said as he reach for the screaming Jonghyun.

 

Key and Taemin got to them a few seconds later.

 

He is messing with Key” The lead singer glared at the leader


“I was just playing with him Jonghyun” answered Onew as he looked at the shorter male.

 

But you know I like Key!” all but screamed the vocalist before his eyes widen.

 

Taemin's gasp was the only sound in the room for a few minutes before Onew lead Minho and Taemin out of the room. Key glared and pushed past Jonghyun in a hurry to get away but was stopped by the vocalist's grip on his small wrist.


"I'm serious Kibum. I like you as more than a friend"


"Really? This isn't your hormones talking?"
 

"Yes. I mean no but-"
 

"See? You don't know what you want"
 

"Yes I do. I have always noticed you and my eyes are always drawn to you even before our debut"
 

"So?"
 

"Believe me"

 

"Onew was just playing Jjong" said Key looking into his eyes
 

"Maybe" Jonghyun shrugged "But I like you. I can't help my feelings. I got jealous. I want something more than friendship between the two of us" He walked closer to the rapper as he slid his arms around the others waist.
 

Key sighed "I think I like you as more than a friend too..."
 

Jonghyun's smile appeared. "You see. So can we try?"
 

Key's sharp eyes closed. "Okay but you have to apologize to Onew. He was just-" Jonghyun's lips landed on Key's and they shared a small kiss.
 

Key pulled away with a smile. "Go apologize to Onew. He didn't do anything"
 

The vocalist smiled, stole another kiss, and took off to find Onew. Their leader was talking on the phone when Jonghyun found him. The second Onew hung up, Jonghyun apologized to just see Onew's knowing smile and hear his "it's okay" before the older boy was called by one of the noonas on the set to fix his make up.


A tired sigh escaped his lips and he continued walking but this time with the intention of going home. His phone said that it was 10:18 P.M. and as he looked around the streets, only a few people where left here and there; most of them were probably going home. He got to the parking lot, walked to his car and unlocked it quickly. He closed the door after sitting down and leaned his head on the steering wheel.


S.M. Entertainment wanted to try an experiment on Jonghyun, which made his blood boil. They wanted him to date Shin Se Kyung. He loved her acting but he didn't want to date her especially since Key and him had started a relationship a few months ago.

 

I don't want to do it”

 

You have to understand Jonghyun, they aren't asking you. They are telling you to date her.” said SHINee's manager as he rubbed his temple.

 

But I-” Jonghyun was cut short

 

They have everything set up with her and her manager so just do it” The older man said before leaving, not letting Jonghyun argue.

 

A moment later, Key walked in with a unreadable expression.

 

You heard?”

 

The rapper nodded.

 

What can I do?”

 

Nothing. Just go along with it” answered the taller male yet Jonghyun failed to see the look of hurt in his eyes.

 

 

Less than a week later, Jonghyun found himself walking Shin Se Kyung back to her house after their “date.” He had to admit that she was fun, was interested in a lot of the things he liked and he knew that they would make good friends.

 

Jonghyun sat up, placed the key on the ignition, and started to drive. His house was about 30 minutes from the S.M. Entertainment building and he the radio so that it would distract him yet that attempt failed.

 

 

After a hectic Japanese debut and the promotion of their debut single, he had another date with her and he was enjoying it. They now text messaged all day and were able to go out together when they wanted. It was pretty late and he was sure that everyone in the dorm would be in bed by now. As quietly as he could, he opened the door to the dorm and stepped inside. The vocalist almost jumped out of his skin when Key's voice greeted him.

 

You're finally back. I was starting to worry.”

 

You're still awake?”

 

Key gave him a look “You know me better than anyone. Did you eat?”

 

Yup”

 

The rapper nodded. “Okay than let's go to sleep than” Kibum added as he stood from the couch and stretched before walking into his room without looking at Jonghyun once again yet the singer didn't notice as he walked to his own room with a grin on his face.

 

 

The next morning, Jonghyun walked into the kitchen with a frown to find Key cooking.

 

Ah, Kibum?”

 

Yeah?”

 

I was thinking that we should stop being together, you know I am “going out” with Shin Se Kyung and-”

 

Key turned to look at the shorter made “Our relationship ended when I saw you walk into the dorm with the biggest grin I have ever seen, Jonghyun. I have never seen you that... happy. I'm not stupid nor am I blind. I know what happened. And there is nothing I can do to change it so...”

 

Are we okay?”

 

Yeah, we are” answered the rapper with a pained smile before turning back to the stove.

 

 

 

 

Two months after their “break up”, Jonghyun gathered the courage to confess to Shin Se Kyung. He took her to a restaurant and told her how he felt as he stuttered and rubbed his hands nervously. His stomach fell when he saw her give him a look full of pity.

 

I'm sorry Jjong but I don't like you like that... You are really nice but I-”

 

It's okay please don't say anything else. We should go” The singer whispered and she nodded almost immediately. He was grateful of the fact that she took a taxi in front of the restaurant and he made his way home. As usual Key was waiting for him. The taller man nodded at him before standing and rubbing his eyes.

 

Key...” Jonghyun whispered. The rapper wasn't sure he heard right but turned to face Jonghyun anyways. “She doesn't love me”

 

The taller man's eyes widen “Oh sorry Jjong. There is nothing you can do. I'm not good with this. Let me get Onew, he is more comfort in this kind of situation” Key walked away in a hurry and a minute later, a sleepy Onew walked into the room. Jonghyun didn't see Key again that night.

 


The light turned green and he continued to drive. He wasn't in a hurry; the only things waiting for him in his house were darkness and loneliness. He had dinner with the producers and his manager so the only thing he had to do at home was shower and sleep.


Three days later, he walked in the dorm after a schedule to see Key and Taemin hugging like there was no tomorrow and Onew saying “Good!” as their leader walked away. He was about to ask what was going on but their manager walked in behind him asking Key and Taemin if they were ready for their schedule. He asked Onew but the older male shook his head and told him to ask Key later.

 

 

The days passed slowly and he tried to ask Key more than once but all of a sudden, the rapper was busy all the time. Two weeks later, it was late and everyone was home except Key and Jonghyun was worried. His best friend was out there and what if something happened to him, the singer had just pulled his cell phone and was about to call Key when the dorm's door opened and a tired looking Kibum stepped in.

 

 

Key where were you?”

 

The taller male gave a tired smile “Where I was suppose to be: school”

 

What do you mean school?”

 

Key's eyebrow rose “I was at the University”

 

For what?” asked the vocalist with a confused look

 

Class” answered Key as he placed his backpack on the couch

 

You went back to school?”

 

Key grinned “You are looking at a Konkun University's apparel and textile major”

 

Since when?”

 

What?”

 

When did you start school?”

 

About two weeks ago”

 

When did you take the college entrance exams?”

 

Three months ago, I think” answered Key before walking to the kitchen in search of something to eat. Jonghyun stared at Key's back as the other walked "Why didn't you tell me before?" he whispered


Jonghyun parked his car and was unlocking the door to his apartment a minute later. He the light and the TV just so there could be some noise.


 

Things didn't change much after that. Minho, Key, and Taemin graduated from a University and the five of them continued as SHINee for seven more years. The five members sat on the living room of their dorm, suitcases surrounded all of them and sad but satisfied smiles on their faces. The first one to cry was Key, followed by Jonghyun; they cried bittersweet tears. They talked about plans as the hugged and one by one they knew that they had to get going.

 

S.M. offered me a job as a choreographer so I won't be going anywhere” said Taemin with a smile and tearful eyes “Minho hyung?”

 

I'm staying near you Minnie. I got offered a few MCing positions for a few shows. I should be fine. Kibum?”

 

I'm leaving Korea. I got an offer to work in the States as a fashion designer so...” he couldn't hold back a sob and Taemin rushed to his side before asking “Jonghyun hyung?”

 

S.M. wants me to go solo. Onew?”

 

I'm going to dedicate myself to musicals, I have some offers. When are you leaving Key?”

 

Tomorrow afternoon” the answer hit Jonghyun. The singer looked at Kibum and he knew that he had messed up.

 

Jonghyun knew that he had broken up with Key for Shin Se Kyung and after she broke his heart, he was hesitant. He never told Key sorry for breaking his heart or that during the last seven years, he had fallen in love with him again. He was scared of two things; getting hurt and of what Key would say if the singer confessed.

 

Can all of you take me to the airport tomorrow?” Three “yes” and a nod from Jonghyun, who was trying to hold back his tears, answered Key.

 

 

 

Just as promised, all four men stood in the airport saying their goodbyes to Key.

 

Minho you know that you have to take care of Taemin”

 

Yes I know”

 

Minnie baby, don't let Minho be mean. If he is mean to you, call me okay? Umma will defend you even over the phone” Key kept fighting the tears

 

Yes Umma”

 

Jinki please be careful and watch out for the three of them”

 

The leader smiled and nodded. “I won't have it any other way”

 

Jonghyun” The singer looked into Key's sharp eyes. A second later, Kibum's arms were around him. “I'm going to miss you Jjong”

 

I'm going to miss you too Kibummie” Jonghyun hugged him back as a small sob ripped from the rapper's lips.

 

They watched Key leave with a hesitant wave but confident eyes. Kibum fought the tears until it was finally time for him to get on the plane. As he walked away from them, Key's tears fell. Jonghyun broke down the moment he got home. This time he knew he couldn't be selfish. He had gotten a chance to be with Key and he blew it by thinking that he was in love with Shin Se Kyung. He felt so stupid even when he saw her again after the break up, he felt nothing yet one look at Key and his heart started beating faster.


Jonghyun sat down on the couch, looked at the TV and tried to focus on the news yet in the back of his mind he knew that he would always be counting; a year three months, two weeks and four days ago was the last time he saw Kim Kibum, the last time he had been somewhat happy. The only he could do was cry for making a mistake yet no matter how many tears he cried, it never changed. Key was still gone and he was still lonely, hoping Key would be by his side someday.