Three Voicemails

Three Voicemails (One-Shot)

Uee woke up to the ringing of her alarm clock. As she opened her eyes, she was greeted by rays of warm sunshine that illuminated her otherwise dark room. Habitually, she reached for her mobile phone that sat on the side table and played a voicemail.

 

“Good morning you sleepyhead! Can’t believe you sleep more than me. Just kidding, I know you’re tired after all that filming, and so, as a reward, I’ve made you breakfast! Have a good rest today, I’ll be home soon. Love you.”

 

Uee would listen to this every morning.

 

*

 

It was Uee’s birthday. She had been out celebrating the whole night with her friends. Although they had wanted to throw an additional overnight party for her, she declined their suggestion politely and decided to go home. Of course, the never-drunk actress downed a few glasses of wine to show her gratitude towards her friends’ efforts and sincerity. Uee didn’t want to be a party pooper but there was something she had to do. Others might deem this as a foolish act, but it was of great significance to her, and her friends understood.

 

It was half past eleven when she got home. She always made sure that she would be home before twelve for she didn’t want to miss the moment. Holding her mobile close to her ear, she played a voicemail and immersed herself in its contents. At that moment, the world no longer mattered to her.

 

“YooJin, I’m sorry I won’t be able to celebrate your birthday with you today. You know that wasn’t my intention; I already took the day off. But something cropped up at work and I have to fix it. I’m sorry YooJin. Happy birthday.”

 

Uee grinned a silly grin. Thinking about how furious and heartbroken she was when she heard that voicemail three years ago, she was amused and found it all so funny. She got trolled. Trolled by the prankster.

 

*

 

JooYeon wanted to prepare a grand birthday surprise for UEe, but she couldn’t afford to let Uee know where she was. Disppearing in the morning would definitely invite suspicion especially since JooYeon wasn’t a morning person. Therefore, she thought of lying to Uee about work despite knowing how upset Uee would feel. Then again, JooYeon wasn’t a troll for no reason.

 

“Happy birthday Kim YooJin,” JooYeon said gently.

 

“You’re the worst you know that?” Uee said grumpily as she wiped away a tear form the corner of her eye. Although she wore a pout likened to that of a kid’s when he gets denied of his candies, Uee was obviously over the moon when she saw how elaborate JooYeon’s birthday surprise for her was. However, what was more important was that JooYeon was there with her on one of the most significant days of her life, and Uee couldn’t ask for more.

 

“I never knew you can cook,” Uee chuckled.

 

“Well, a shikshin’s got to learn how to feed herself eh?” JooYeon replied while raising her brow twice in conceit.

 

“But honestly, did you make all these yourself?” Uee glanced at her surroundings – bright party streamers lined the top of the walls while heart-shaped balloons adorned the room. The aroma of the gourmet meals (or so JooYeon claimed) that were polished off the plates five minutes ago still lingered in the air.

 

“Hmm…,” the prankster pretended to tap her chin as if in deep thought, “the décor yes, the food yes, the cake yes.” JooYeon tried to hide the signs of an inflated ego on her face, wearing a serious look. “But,” she paused again, “the house no. I just borrowed it for a day from JungAh unnie.

 

“You idiot.” Uee grinned.

 

“The idiot didn’t make this music box either,” JooYeon said while taking out an exquisite music box from her bag.

 

“You actually remembered? I just mentioned it passingly!” Uee exclaimed as her eyes widened in pleasant surprise. She merely spoke about the music box once after reading about it online but she never thought JooYeon would take it to heart. Such a gift sent waves of warmth spreading throughout Uee’s heart.

 

It was the best birthday of her life.

 

 

*

 

As Uee continued to reminisce about the past, she played the music box that lay on her table.

 

And she would play it on every birthday.

 

 

*

 

It was just another normal day. JooYeon had knocked off from work and was on the way home. There was no special occasion, but JooYeon was still very eager to get home – there was not a moment when she did not want to see Uee.

 

Yet the cruel heavens had to take that away from her.

 

In the blink of an eye, a sports car rammed into the side of her car that was nearer to where she sat. As a result, JooYeon’s car toppled over to the side with a sickening thud, followed by the breaking of the windows. It all happened too quickly for her mind to process everything.

 

And when she did, there was not much time left.

 

An acute, jolting pain radiated from her left side, directing her to the presence of her broken arm. Blood oozed from the cuts that were caused by the shattered glass and her broken bones. However, this was minor compared to the blunt force trauma sustained by her head.

 

Brain hemorrhage had begun to set in.

 

Upon realizing that time was not on her side, she struggled to look for her mobile phone. Her injuries were not the least of her concerns. She had to call UEe. She had to hear her voice. She had to tell her everything. Everything before it’s too late.

 

JooYeon didn’t know if God was playing a trick on her. If it were a trick, it was one too cruel. One moment she found her phone lying next to her. The next, she was directed straight to the voicemail.

 

But JooYeon did not have the privilege to call again.

 

*

 

ÝooJin, where you? Can’t be sleeping right? Ha. I just called to say… I love you. I really do. But please, be happy. And thank you, YooJin…”

 

 

Uee could feel the tears streaming uncontrollably down her face. She blamed herself for taking a bath at the wrong time. Had she chosen to bathe minutes later, she would have been there to answer JooYeon’s call. Silly as it seems, Uee did hate herself for that.

 

Perhaps, this was JooYeon’s last gift to Uee – the last memory of her.

 

It hurt a lot to listen to the voicemail, but Uee played it anyway.

 

On every of JooYeon’s death anniversary.

 

It was a reminder that though JooYeon was never there, her love for Uee would never die.