Forever, Right?

The Story Only I Didn't Know

Lee Hyukjae woke up in his hospital bed later than usual. He sat up and noticed Donghae still sleeping peacefully next to him. Hyukjae just stared at the perfection next to him. He smiled lightly, cupping Donghae’s cheek in the palm of his hand. Donghae slightly stirred in his sleep, before looking up at Hyukjae. He smiled sweetly and sat up, resting his head on Hyukjae’s shoulder.

“Good morning Hyukkie!”

“Good morning, Hae,” Hyukjae said sweetly to his loving boyfriend. Hyukjae ruffled Donghae’s hair, making Donghae giggle slightly.

“Shouldn’t we get breakfast?”

“Of course!” They walked with their arms locked together, laughing about random things. When they entered the cafeteria, Hyukjae stopped for a second to observe the other patients at the mental hospital.

“How did I even get put here?” Hyukjae asked Donghae, looking down sadly. 

“I don’t know, Hyuk. I really don’t know…” Donghae’s voice drifted off.
 

 

 

“Hae, do you want to go outside on a walk?”

“Of course, Hyukkie!” Hyukjae smiled and ran outside of his room into the garden.  Donghae followed slowly behind, admiring his boyfriend’s love for the hospital’s garden. Donghae smiled and ran to catch up to Hyukjae.

They walked together, hand in hand as they talked about everything. Every time Donghae laughed or smiled, Hyukjae felt his heart melt. They sat next to each other on a bench in front of a water fountain. Hyukjae wrapped his arms around Donghae and kissed his foreheadwhile Donghae snuggled against Hyukjae’s chest and closed his eyes.
 

“Hae, I’ll be with you forever. Nothing can separate us. I love you,” Hyukjae whispered in Donghae’s ear, making the younger smile.

“I love you too, Hyukkie!”

 

From a window near the garden, a lady was watching Hyukjae. She looked down on a document, hesitating to write an “x” under Hyukjae’s name. She looked up at Hyukjae and looked at the document sadly. She sighed as she marked the “x” and put away the document, knowing it would be awhile before Hyukjae would improve.

 

As the day went on, Hyukjae and Donghae stayed in the garden, talking about happy memories they have had before Hyukjae was sent to the mental hospital. Eventually the sun set and they skipped away to Hyukjae’s room.

“Hyukkie?” Donghae asked Hyukjae as they were about to fall asleep.

“Hmm?”

“You do promise that we’ll be together forever?”

Hyukjae smiled at Donghae before leaning in to kiss Donghae’s forehead lightly. “Of course.”

Donghae looked up, smiling sweetly at Hyukjae. He then cuddled against his boyfriend, falling asleep. Hyukjae looked at the sleeping boy in his arms. A sudden pain stabbed at his heart, and he felt like crying. The air around him seemed to get cold, as if he was holding nothing. He looked down at Donghae, who was soundly sleeping.  Hyukjae smiled at his relaxed face, but the pain in his heart never subsided.

 

“Hyukkie!”

“Mmm..”

“Hyukkie!’

“Mmm...”

“LEE HYUKKIE!”

“What?” Hyukjae’s eyes snapped open, resting on the smiling face Donghae.

“You are a heavy sleeper…” Donghae said as he sighed.

“Sorry, my little Fishy!” Hyukjae said as he pouted. Donghae giggled slightly and kissed Hyukjae’s nose.

“It’s ok, Hyuk~ Now let’s go eat.”

Hyukjae laughed as he followed Donghae into the cafeteria.  The two boys shared a large breakfast. When they finished, Donghae rested his head on Hyukjae’s shoulder.

“Hyukkie…”

“Yes, Hae?”

“What if they make me leave?” Donghae’s voice sounded weak, and Hyukjae frowned.

“Donghae, I’d rather die than not have you here all the time I don’t know how I got here, but one day, I will be released. And when I am released, we can do everything together, like a normal couple.”

Donghae smiled wide and pecked his lips against Hyukjae’s cheek. “And one day, we will get married, right, Hyukkie?”

Hyukjae chuckled. “Of course, Hae,” he said before ruffling Donghae’s hair, earning a giggle from his boyfriend. Hyukjae then leaned in and lightly kissed Donghae’s forehead,  embracing Donghae in his arms. Donghae smiled widely and snuggled against Hyukjae’s chest, closing his eyes and enjoying the moment.

 

 

The woman at the front desk showed her report to the couple sitting before her.

“He hasn’t improved at all. I'm thinking about sending him to therapy. He won’t listen to anything I or the other nurses tell him,” she said as she shook her head sadly.

“Can we please just see him?” the man said sadly.

“Of course you may. But please make it brief. Stay here, I’ll call him,” the woman said before walking away to find Hyukjae.

 

Hyukjae and Donghae were cuddling together when a knock disturbed their peace.

“Hyukjae… Your parents are here. They need to see you.”

“Can Donghae come? Please?”

The lady sighed, but nodded. “Sure.”

Donghae and Hyukjae followed the lady to her office, where Hyukjae’s parents were seated.

“Hyukkie, look at you. You’ve grown!” his mom said, tears welling in his eyes.

“Okay?” Hyukjae replied, his voice pure with annoyance.

Hyukjae’s mother looked at the lady. “Can you leave us alone? I'll make it short.” The lady nodded and left the four alone.

“Hyukjae, are you still-“

“What mom! What! Am I still what? I’m not crazy. I shouldn’t be here!” Hyukjae practically screamed at his mother, his fist banging against the desk causing his mother’s eyes to fill with tears.

“Hyukjae… I know it’s hard. But he’s dead. He’s not there. He- he- your never going to see him again. We all loved him very much. He was... He was a sweet boy. But y-you... I don't want to sped your life here because of a memory.”

 

Hyukjae looked at the sick form of Donghae’s body resting on the hospital bed.

“Hae, you’ll live! Pro-promise me-“

“Hyukjae-“

“No! Hae you can’t lose to cancer. Your strong!” Hyukjae’s body felt weak and tears began escaping from Hyukjae’s eye. Donghae looked up at Hyukjae.

“Hyukkie- I-I love you and-“

“It’s time. Donghae must go now,” the doctor said, interrupting Donghae’s sentence. The nurses wheeled Donghae’s bed away, the doctor following behind. Hyukjae ran up to the doctor, grabbing his arms.

“Pl-please! Make him li-live! Hae- Hae can’t- he can’t d-die!” Hyukjae’s voice was weak, and tears continuously streamed down his face. The doctor ignored Hyukjae’s pleading and closed the door on him, leaving the sobbing Hyukjae on his knees.

 

 

“Hyukjae, be strong. Donghae would’ve wanted you to continue this way,” his father said. His hand was Hyukjae’s back softly.

“No! He’s going to- he has to live!”

“Excuse me.” The doctor’s stern voice filled the room.

“Y-Yes?” Donghae’s mother’s face was tear-stained, her voice weak. Hyukjae looked up at the doctor, his eyes releasing more tears.

“This is it,” he thought to himself.

 

The doctor looked up sadly, “The surgery failed. He’s… dead.”

 

 

A single tear slipped out from Hyukjae’s eye as his arm reached out to capture his fading image of Donghae.

He’s really gone.

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: 

THIS TOOK FOREVER TO WRITE! I'm sorry, dear subbies, I know I promised some of you an earlier update... A MUCH earlier update... ;A;

BUT THANK YOU FOR READING AND UPVOTING ON THE FOWARD IT MEANS A LOT! <3

I hope I didn't disappoint you! It probably would've been a lot better if school wasn't coming so soon and I had more time to write and edit.... ;A;

And thank you Eunli369 for always being my FIRST subscriber and aways giving me feedback! I LOVE YOU! Also, I know I promised you I would make it really super long... I hope this was good enough~

 

Everyone who commented, you guys are the reason I finished this <3 If probably would've come out A LOT later if it wasn't you you guys!

Anyways thank you! Feedback is always appreciated!