Part One

Wishing on a Star

Light drifts into the hospital room and the dream of lying on the soft grass, surrounded by many different types of flowers while looking at the sky with different shades of blue slowly disappear and the grass that I’m laying on turns into a hospital bed, and the sky that I’m looking at is the ceiling of the room that I’m in and the flowers turn into hospital equipment. I looked around my room to find my friend Hyeyoung sitting down on the chair leaning on the wall sleeping. I smiled at her and the door opened and the nurse came inside holding a clipboard with all of my information. “How are you feeling today?” How am I feeling? I’m dying, how could I feel any better? “I”m fine.” She smiled and put the clipboard down on a desk underneath the small tv being mounted. She looked at me and shook her head, “You don’t to lie, if you aren’t feeling better you need to tell me so that I can bring you some medicine.” I smiled and she came over to me, “Have you been throwing up?” She pointed to the bin that was on the ground near the right side of the bed, I sighed and nodded my head, I looked down and she put her hand on my shoulder. “It’s fine.. It’s not your fault that you’re sick.” She smiled at me and grabbed the bin and walked out of the room, I sighed and looked at Hyeyoung who just woke up. While rubbing her eyes she stood up and walked over to the hospital bed, “Are you feeling any better today?” She smiled and I shook my head, “No, It felt like the puking wouldn’t stop, but eventually it did and I passed out from the lack of sleep.” She sighed and she hugged me gently, “I really want you to feel better Yoonjo..” I smiled and put my hand on her back and pulled her in for a tighter hug, “Isn’t this hurting you? You’re so skinny because you hardly eat, it must hurt.” I pushed her away gently and shook my head, I smiled at her and her cheeks suddenly became painted with light shades of pink. “I’m fine.. I’ve been wondering something..” She smiled and sat down, “Is Lime planning on visiting me too..” I looked at her and I frowned, she sighed and turned away from me looking out of the window staring into the world that lies outside of this room. “I don’t think she plans on visiting. She has a lot of things to do. She’s in sports and that can take up a lot of her time that she can’t visit you.” I frowned and sighed, “I see, well, I’m glad that she’s able to enjoy the things she does..” Me and Lime have been friends since the beginning of High School, I care a lot for her and I really want to see her but recently after a sweat test I was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis. 

My mother was diagnosed with that too, she was okay in the beginning but things started to get worse when the medicine that she was taking wasn’t helping and she slowly started to stop eating and threw up most of the time, causing her to lose a lot of weight and her breathing started to get worse, she had trouble getting enough oxygen through her body and soon all of the strength that she was using finally went out of her body and she died. My father had a hard time coping with her death so did I. I wouldn’t leave her room for a long time, everyday I would miss her, I would miss the way she would smile at me when she wakes me up in the morning and the way she would laugh, smell and talk. I miss everything that she is, I miss her so much. I seem to have the same illness as my mother, and I can understand the pain that she must have gone through. Constantly throwing up and not being able to hold down food for a long period of time, feeling like I’m not even breathing at all.. I sighed and Hyeyoung looked at me, she had sympathy in her eyes. I smiled at her and she frowned, “I’m sorry, but I have to go to school. I promise I’ll come back when  it’s finished..” I smiled and sat up, “It’s fine, I understand.” She sighed and shook her head, “I really don’t want you to be by yourself. I don’t want you to be lonely..” I shook my head, “It’s okay, maybe Lime will come and visit me while you’re gone.” I smiled at her and she glared at me, why is she mad? “Why is it always her huh?” She sighed and stood up, “Never mind, I’ll be back later, please get some rest.” She walked out of the room.

 

I took out my phone and as soon as I turned it on I got constant messages from Lime, “Where are you Yoonjo?” “Why did you miss so much days of school?” “Hey, are you okay?” “Please answer me, I’m really worried!” I smiled and I felt my cheeks get hot. I responded to her text message, “I’m sorry, I thought that Hyeyoung told you that I was in the hospital?” Didn’t she tell Lime? As soon as I texted her back, Lime responded. “No! She didn’t tell me anything! I’m coming right now, please expect me there!” Why didn’t Hyeyoung tell Liime? I wonder if something is going on with those two. Hyeyoung and Lime are childhood friends, recently Hyeyoung has been hanging out with me and Lime and she’s been acting weird around us. It’s like she’s trying to pull us apart.

 

Twenty minutes later I heard the door slam open and I saw a tired Lime panting and trying to catch her breath. “W-Why..” I smiled and tried to get off of the hospital bed but as soon as I put weight on my legs I fell, “Watch out!” Lime ran over to me and caught me in time. When I opened my eyes, I saw Lime’s face close to mines, my cheeks started to get hot and I tried to push Lime away but I was to weak, “It’s okay.. I’m here for you, okay? I’ll lay you back down..” She lifted me up and put me down on the bed. She grabbed the blankets and covered me with them, gently tucking me in. “Be more careful next time.. You’re already in a hospital..” She looked at me and her eyes looked like she was about to cry, I put my hand on hers and smiled at her, “You don’t have to be so worried, I’ll get better and I’ll come back and we’ll be able to see the flowers together again.” She sighed and tightened the grip on my hand, “Why didn’t you tell me sooner! I would have came as soon as I found out you know!” “I thought that Hyeyoung told you..” She sighed and shook her head, “Hyeyoung and I aren’t friends anymore, recently I found out something about her..” I smiled and sat up, “What happened?” Lime let go of my hand, looked at me with eyes still full of sadness and sat down on the chair to the left of my bed. “She told me that she’s in love with you. She doesn’t want me to be your friend anymore because she feels as if I’m going to get in the way between you too, but I told her that I couldn’t do that because you mean a lot to me. I care about you too, how can I just walk away when I’m already so close?” She sighed and looked out of the window. So that’s why she’s been acting weird recently.. I’m sorry Hyeyoung, but I don’t want Lime to go out of my life.

 

“I’m sorry, this is weird, let’s talk about something that you enjoy. When you get out of the hospital I’m going to go and take you to see the flowers, and then when the sky is clear, I want to take you to see the stars shining at us.” I smiled and nodded my head enthusiastically, “I really want to do that, but I don’t think that it will be soon, but I really do want to do those things with you, I want to pick the beautiful flowers with you and be entranced with the stars in the sky.” She smiled and stood up, she started to walk towards me, “You’re wonderful you know?” I blushed and turned away from her, she put her hand on mines and laughed a little, “Maybe we can catch a star.” I looked at her, “If I get better.. I want to go around the world with you. I want to see the many different flowers all over the world, and I want to be able to see the stars with you every night. I want to be able to spend every minute I get out of here with you because you’re the only important friend I have..” She smiled and hugged me, “I really want you to get better..” I pulled her in for a tighter hug and smiled.. I really want to tell you that I love you, but I don’t know..