Mountain Spirit

Don't Touch Him

A fine woman that always look forward for summer. When she can meet her love. Every year she will wait for summer to come. Many years passed since the day she met him.

****At Home****

There I go again. Wait for me. I will always run to you every summer. Umma. I’m ready to go.

Make sure you listen to your uncle. Don’t get lost in the jungle.

Ehhh how you know I always went there?

Of course, your uncle told me.

Arasso. I will be more careful there. Don’t worry. I’ll be fine.  He always protect me when I’m in that places.

Do you have your handkerchief? Your ticket? A nice pair of shoes? Don’t tell me that’s everything?

Umma. It’s fine. I made sure I packed the black ones.

Make sure you don’t forget your luggage on the bullet train, okay? Don’t zone out and miss your stop.

Yeah. I got it! Jeez. I’ve been going there every year, so I’ll be all right.

Hey, put on a hat. You’ll get heat .

It’s alright! I’m fine. See you later umma. Love you! Annyeong!

 

****FLASHBACK****

The first time I met him, was when I was six. On o hot summer day, I got lost in the forest of the mountain god, which was said to be where spirits lived. After running around searching for an exit, I became so tired I couldn’t move. When I started crying from fear and loneliness, he appeared before me.

Hey! Shorty!

I slowly opened my eyes and look for the voice. I keep looking and suddenly I saw a man behind the tree. The he start asking me.

Why are you crying?

I felt so relieved to found a person. I stand up and start running toward him. It’s a person! I’m saved! While I running toward him to hugged him because I felt so happy, he avoided me and make me fall into the ground. He just looked at me without even bother to help me. I looked at him with angry and annoyed face.

S-Sorry. You’re a human child, right?

I looked him with questioned face.

If a human touches me, I’ll disappear.

If a human…? You’re not a human?

I’m…. something that lives in this forest.

What? Then… you’re one of the spirits? I clapped my hands. Assa!! But… what do you mean by disappear?

He just keep quiet. Then I tried to touch him but he avoided me. I tried again. Again and again. But, every times he will avoided me. Suddenly he knock my head with a wood. Auchhhhh!!! Y-You’re really not human after all… I cry while holding my head in the ground. No human would hit a child like that!

To disappear means to be obliterated. That’s the spell that the mountain god placed upon me.

I looked at him.

If I get touched by a human, that’s the end.

I-I’m sorry.

Here, shorty. Grab the other end.

I looked at him and he hold a wood that he used to knock me just now.

You’re lost, aren’t you? I’ll lead you out of the forest.

Thank you. I’m so happy that I want to hugged him again. Then again, he knocked me with the wood.

Didn’t I just tell you?

Sorry, I just…

We walked through out the forest with me holding the other end of the wood. The forest is very peaceful and calm at that moment.

It’s just like going on a date! I said it.

Not a very romantic one… He answered me while holding the other end of the wood. You… aren’t afraid.

Of what..?

Never mind. After few minutes walking. If you go straight, you’ll hit the mountain path. Bye.

Are you always going to be here? If I come back here, can we meet again?

This is the forest where the mountain god and spirits live. Set foot within, and you’ll lose your way and be lost forever. You shouldn’t come here. That’s what the villagers say, right?

I’m Lim Si Yun. Born in a beautiful time. You? He just keep quiet and the wind became stronger. I started to back away. Anyway, I’ll be back tomorrow with a thank-you present! Bye! I started to run away.

It’s Jiyong. My name is Kwon Ji Yong.

When I hears what he told me, I stop and then looked back, but he not there anymore.  I keep walking while singing a song. Then suddenly I saw my uncle.

Si Yun!!!!

Ah, Uncle!

Si Yun, you idiot! Then he knocked my head with his fist. Ohh god. How many time I need to get knock on my head today.

If you go into the forest on your own and get hurt, what are you gonna do?

I just cry and hugged him.

Uncle…

Huhh?

Is it true that there are spirits living in that forest?

Oh, the mountain god’s forest… Who knows. That’s what they say. When I was little, I wanted to meet the spirits, so my friends and I often went into the forest. In the end, I never met any, but I had the feeling I’d occasionally spot something from the corner of my eye. On summer nights, you could hear the sounds of the river coming from the forest. And now that I think about it, Iwa said she and her friends went and had fun at a summer festival in the forest. But there’s no way the villagers would’ve held a festival in the forest. So then, whose festival could it have been? It started this crazy story that they must’ve snuck into a festival for the spirits. Man, that takes me back! We were stupid back when we were kids.

(At night, during bedtime)

I remembered what Jiyong said in the forest, “This is the forest where the mountain god and spirits live. Set foot within, and you’ll lose your way and be lost forever” After that, I sleep with a new hope for tomorrow.

(The next day)

You came. I didn’t think you’d really come back.

You… Assa! You waited for me! I run to him and get knocked in the head again. Auchhhh!

You just don’t learn, do you?

I was so happy, I just… Sorry.

It’s a bit hot here. Shall we go somewhere cooler?

What?

Don’t worry. I’ll see you out of here again.

Hmhh. With that, I follow him. We walk in the forest. I just follow him. Deep in my heart I just trust him. Suddenly I feel like being watch by others. I just keep looking around because I scared. Suddenly I heard a voice. I turn around and saw a creature.

Jiyong. Is that a human child? Can I eat it?

I’m so scared and I go to hide behind Jiyong.

No. She’s my friend.

Is that so? Human child. Please don’t touch Jiyong’s skin. If you do, I’ll eat you!

Go away.

Oh! Is that a fox?

He’s another one of the spirits. He transforms to scare people, but he’s all bark and no bite.

Amazing! This is the first time I’ve seen a real spirit! So they really do exist! Amazing! Incredible! Fantastic!

Jiyong, are you a No-Face or something? Why do you wear a mask?

No particular reason. Never mind me. Tell me about yourself.

Are you curious?

That’s why I waited for you.

The next day and the day after that, I went back to the forest. Those summer days, I ran and played all around the mountain.

Over here, over here!

It’s better over there.

Arghhh my hat fly away since the wind is too strong and get hang at a tree. Since I was too short to reach, Jiyong help me take the hat.

Thank you! I was so happy since we met.

Even though it was silly, it was so much fun.

We just ran around. Play hide and seek.

Did Jiyong fall asleep? It’s fine if I touch his mask, right? I touch his mask and take it out from his face slowly. He so perfect. His hair is white. His face is like a prince in fairy tale. His eyes white in color. Did he wear contact lens? His nose. His lip. Everything is perfect. Suddenly he opens his eyes.

Ah, sorry! Because I was too shocked I knocked his face with his mask.

Ouchh! Attacking someone while they’re asleep.. You sure are a scary little lady.

I’m sorry, but you were pretending to sleep, weren’t you?

I looked normal, didn’t I?

Why are you wearing that mask?

If I don’t wear this mask, I don’t look like a spirit, do I?

You’re weird.

Um, Jiyong. I won’t be able to come here tomorrow. I told you about it before, right? That I’m just staying at my uncle’s place for the summer? So I have to go home tomorrow.

Will you be able to come again next year?

Yeah!

This is how summer became something I looked forward to. Jiyong waited for our promised summer.

(Next summer)

It’s cold! I said while dripping my feet in the pond.

You’re weird. Of course the water is cold.

While we were walking in the forest. Jiyong. A voice called for him. Then, a big hand hold him.

I’m too scared. Jiyong. I said his name.

It’s dangerous, Jiyong. The voice said again. That’s a human child. If she touches you, you’ll disappear.

Thank you. I’m fine.

Then the hand disappear. The voice said again and this time to me. Please don’t touch him, human child.

Yes, I will not touch him.

Then we continue walking. While walking a voice come out again. Jiyong. Be careful. They care for him. But the spirits can touch him, right?

Two summers passed. Then three.

Si Yun! Where are you? Si Yun. Si Yu…

Warghhhhh!! I scream to scare him while hanging my feet at a tree. But then my dress is going to take off from my body since I’m hanging downward.

What’re you doing?

Hehehehe. I wanted to see your startled face but… At least when I’m around, can you take off your mask every once in a while?

That’s fine, but is there a reason?

Not really, but… suddenly the branch that sat on break and I was about to fall from tree. I saw his hands want to reach for me. No, you can’t touch me!! Luckily I fall faster so that he won’t be able to reach out for me.

That was close.

Yeah so close.

I’m sorry, Si Yun. Are you okay?

Thank goodness. Hey, Jiyong. No matter what, don’t ever touch me, okay? Okay? I’m so scared that he will disappear. My tears come out. No matter what don’t touch me!

The next summer and the summer after that I visited the forest.

I’m leaving!

Jiyong! I’m here again this year. Ta-da! I show him my uniforms. I’ve become a fifth grader.

Somehow, you’re strating to look like a woman.

I am a woman.

Shall we go?

Yaeh!

Huh?

Nothing. Even though I’m in middle school now, a lot of my elementary school friends are in the same classes, so it doesn’t really feel like anything changed.

But rather than that…

Our ages are gradually getting closer.

But somehow, Jiyong ages much more slowly than humans.

As the years go by, my appearance changes, but Jiyong is almost the same as the day we met.

Someday I’ll be older than Jiyong, won’t I?

(At Uncle’s house)

This summer’s weather was good, so the watermelons are sweet. If it continues like this, then winter will be freezing.

Is it like that?

It’s like that.

Since this area’s located between mountains and the ocean’s far away, the temperature different between summer and winter is huge. The cold of a winter that follows an especially hot summer could probably freeze the mountains god himself.

Urm. Uncle.. Where can I buy a scarf?

(At forest)

A scarf?

Yeah! Please use it in the winter, okay? Bye!

Okay.

Bye! See you next summer.

(At school)

I want to… see Jiyong.

How he is in this winter. Is he cold? Is the scarf warm enough for him?

I want to… touch Jiyong.

(Next summer)

Is that your new uniform?

Yeah.

Time really flies, doesn’t it? You’re already in high school, huh.

Yup.

You don’t come running at me anymore these days.

I learned my lesson after all those beatings. I’m looking forward to it. In three years, when I graduate, I plan on looking for a job here. Then I can be with you more. In autumn, winter, spring… Always. Right?

Yi Sun. let me tell you about myself. I’m not a spirit. But, I’m no longer human. It seems like I was once a human, but when I was a baby, I was abandoned in this forest. I’d only just been abandoned, so I cried helplessly as if to call back the parents who left me. They say I didn’t stop crying for a long time. I should’ve died then, but the mountain god appeared and cast a spell that allowed me to continue living. So that I never move on. I’m like a ghost. Si Yun. It’s okay if you forget about me. A body that’s maintained by magic is very weak. If it touches a real human body, the spell will break and the body will disappear. It’s such a fragile thing. How long can you….

Something that disappear when touched… It’s just like snow, isn’t it? Jiyong. I thought of you during winter. Even during autumn and spring. Jiyong. Don’t forget about me. Don’t forget. Time might separate us some day. But, even still, until then, let’s stay together.

Spirit festival?

No, a summer festival held by the spirits.

There’s not much of a difference.

The nuance is completely different. When you were little, I thought you might get scared, so I didn’t invite you. But, tonight, can you sneak out of your house? I’ve wanted to go with you for a long time.

I-I want to go!

Meet me at eight at our usual place.

But a festival filed with spirits sounds a little unnerving. On top of that, it’s at night.

Don’t worry. On the outside, it’s not very different from a human festival. It’s supposed to mimic human festival, after all. And I’ll protect you, Si Yun.

When you say things that, it makes me want to glomp you.

Do it. Seriously.

(At night)

It’s true. It’s just like a human festival. Are they all disguised as humans?

That’s right. Impressive, isn’t it? I’ve heard that sometimes even human unknowingly mix it.

Like Iwa and her friends, huh?

Who? Si Yun. Tie this around your wrist. You’ll get lost.

Yeah. It’s just like going on a date!

This is a date. Shall we go?

Yeah!

We had so much fun being there together.

(Back at forest)

Si Yun, I can no longer wait for summer to come around. When I’m away from you, even though I can’t be around crowds, I want to go see you.

Suddenly he take off his mask and put it at my face. Then he kiss the mask. It feels like he kiss me. I want to touch him so bad. But…

That mask. Have it.

He probably won’t come to that place next summer. This is definitely our last…

Suddenly there two kids played around in the forest. And the boy is about to fall down but luckily Jiyong reach him.

Watch out! Jiyong said to that boy.

Are you okay?

Yeah. Thank you!

Suddenly when I looked back at Jiyong. His body is start to disappear.

Was that boy a human? I scream out loud.

He slowly to disappear in the air. Jiyong!

Come here, Si Yun! I can finally touch you. What he said make me feels so scared that we won’t be able to meet again next summer.

With him said like that, I ran toward him and hugged him. The feels make me cry. I want to always hug him. Touch him. I hugged him tightly but the only left is his clothes. He disappear.

Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. I cry at the forest.

I love you, Si Yun.

Yeah. I love you too, Jiyong.

What left is his mask. I hug it as if I hug him before.

Deep green. This is the mountain god’s forest.

Si Yun. Thank you. We wanted to be with Jiyong forever, but… Jiyong wanted to touch a human. He finally got to be hugged by a human. A voice said to me.

I probably won’t be able to look forward to summer for a long time. My chest will hurt. My tears will be overflowing. But this warmth in my hands and these summer memories will live on in my heart.

****END OF FLASHBACK****

Jiyong. I come here again. I miss you. Moreover, I love you so much. You watching over me, right? Wait until that moment when I can finally meet you again. Here I go again. Our summer’s place.