Confessions

This Is What We Are: Frenemies

“Bang Yongguk.” Jieun told Garu the other guy in her heart.

Yongguk's eyes went wider and he pressed his back hard on the wall, slowly sliding down to sit on the ground.

He glanced to look at Jieun's face through the crack and noticed that she was blushing. He was curious as to why her expression was like that and kept his eyes on her.

“Who?” He asked wanting to see her face blush again.

“His name is Bang Yongguk. But I call him Bbang bbang because he’s annoying. It’s just a name I have for him when we’re playing around.” She said.

 

Her face seemed like it was filled with so much happiness and nervousness just saying his name. It made Yongguk chuckle and feel a little special and happy at the same time with the expression she had on her face with the thought of him.

He smiled, feeling himself heat up and his heart beating faster than normal that Jieun actually had feelings for him. He had always thought she only felt hate and loathed him.

 

“What’s….he like?” He kept his eyes on her, forgetting that she’s not supposed to see him at all. He saw her face turn sour and disgusted but there was still an amused look on her face.

“Yongguk...? Mmm... Yongguk is…. odd.” She said with a chuckle. He watched her cover her face with her blanket, which puzzled him a lot and made him smile warmly.

“I mean, I guess it’s a good and bad odd if you’re wondering.” She added.

“Wow…sounds like a hard guy to figure out.” He said with a smile and charmed look on his face.

“Mm... he’s charming.” She told him nodding slowly. Yongguk looked at her and noticed her looking up to the ceiling with a smile.

She looked as though she was still thinking of something to say, which made him remain silent, waiting for her to speak.

“Yongguk is… one of those kinds of guys that you would judge automatically as a…malicious, wicked, annoying, and hateful person if you don’t take the time to know him.” She said with a smile that made Yongguk's heart flutter.

“In actuality… he’s a very caring, funny, and gentle person.” She said pouting her lips gently. He looked down with a smile taking her compliments into his thoughts and shook his head.

“How can someone so…horrible be so kind at the same time?” He questioned, seeing her look down with the same blushing smile on her face.

She was hugging a pillow to her chest and rocking her body back and forth with her eyes closed and a smile on her face.

“Maybe he’s afraid to show his true self?” She said with an unsure tone. Yongguk squint his eyes and shrugged with a smile.

“How long have you felt this way towards him?” He asked curiously, keeping his eyes on her again. “Since….forever I think. I just haven’t…realized it before till recently.” She said silently with narrowed eyes and a tired smile.

Yongguk stood frozen with his eyes on her in shock. He didn’t speak for several minutes and watched as she smiled and fixed her pillow before plopping her head down on it.

“Garu, I’m kind of tired…I’m going to sleep for a bit.” She said with a yawn before hanging up when she heard no response from him.

               

Yongguk slowly walked towards the living room and sat down on the couch with a hand to his chin and tapering eyes.

His head was racing with all these thoughts that didn’t make sense at all. He felt a headache spreading through him and before he knew it, his eyes gently closed and he fell into a deep sleep with dreams of him and Jieun's childhood.

=================================================

 

“I dare you!” Jieun's tiny voice yelled at age 10 with pouted lips.

Only her head was popping out in view from a pile of sand. Yongguk had buried her into a deep hole under the sand at the beach one summer when they were together.

Yongguk had a huge bucket of extra sand in his hand and he was looking down at Jieun. Because she was never a really big person in general, it only took him a couple minutes to tie her down and bury her under the warm sand. She looked up at him with a huge smirk and angry look on her face.

“I DARE you to bury me BANG YONGGUK!” She screamed with all her might. Her bottom lip was pursing out of with a scowl and her face was getting red with anger.

“You don’t think I will do it?” Yongguk asked, looking down at her with a grin.

“I’ll just tell our parents that you drifted off into the ocean because your stubborn self wouldn’t get out of the water.” He told her faking a pouted lip. She looked up at him angrily and kept the angry smirk on her face knowing that he wouldn’t dare do it.

He held the bucket of sand over her head and bit his lip when he was going to pour it over her head. He looked down at her and smiled in amusement and then wandered his eyes around, taking a deep breath.

Her eyes were shut tight and her lips were pressed together tightly, wanting this to be over with.

 

Jieun slowly opened her eyes when she heard footsteps running off into the distance. She caught Yongguk glancing back at her with a chuckle while he continued running ahead. She took a deep breath of relief and looked down to the sand under her chin.

===========================================

 

Yongguk awoke to the fresh smell of cooked rice and pork ribs, along with some kind of vegetable soup. He slowly rubbed his eyes, wandering if he was still in his dream.

He his chapped lips and slowly sat up from the couch to look around, remembering that he was still in Jieun's house.

He squint his eyes as soon as he heard a familiar melodic humming coming from the kitchen. A smile slowly came across his face when he reminisced about the lullaby she was humming.

It was a lullaby that his mother sang to them in the summers whenever they were going to sleep.

 

“You still remember that lullaby?” Yongguk asked.

Jieun gasped and turned around quickly with the soup spoon in her hand. Vegetables and juice flew off the spoon in a flash and splashed all over Yongguk's shirt. Jieun gasped with a silent chuckle.

“I am SO sorry.” She slowly took a step to grab the few solid pieces on his shirt that she could. He chortled, shaking his head when she moved the last piece off. She chuckled and took a step back.

“I guess that’s what you deserve for staying here with me.” She said carelessly with a chuckle.

“I just thought our parents needed some time together.” He said through a stutter and stood up tall.

He grabbed a napkin and removed the rest of the juices off his shirt with a sigh. Jieun stared at him unbelievably with a funny look.

“Really? There’s something going on here. Since when did YOU start caring for others?” She asked with a chuckle. Yongguk stared at her with a smirk and took a deep breath.

“Hey, I’m not that bad.” He said while walking towards her to taste some soup. She chuckled and grabbed two bowls to put the rice and food in.

“I care about others as much as you do.” He grabbed the bowls with rice and set them on the table while Jieun scoffed and grabbed the bowl of meat.

“Oh really? Give me an example.” She said while keeping her eyes on him and sitting down. He sat across from her and grabbed his chopstick.

“Well…if you really didn’t want your purse back that one night…then you didn’t have to yell my name so loud when the guy stole your bag.” He said with a shrug.

“I got it back for your sake.” He stuffed some rice in his mouth and ate slowly.

Jieun stared at him while memories flashed through her mind about that night where the robber had stolen her purse and Yongguk ran with all his might for her.

He got hurt for her and she couldn’t do anything about it. She smiled and grabbed her chopsticks.

“Did I…ever say thank you to you at all that night?” She asked while she ate some rice. He looked up with a mouthful of food in his mouth and shrugged.

“I don’t remember.” He said followed with a chuckle. “But it doesn’t hurt to hear it again.” He said while leaning his elbows on the table and leaning forward to hear her say it.

She glared at him and scoffed while he swallowed his food, followed by a huge gulp of water.

“I was very grateful.” She said with her eyes down. He grinned at her and clicked his tongue with a loud sigh.

“No…I want to hear ‘thank you’.” He said with a smile and wide eyes, staring at her. She set her chopstick down and then swallowed her food thoroughly.

She stared into his eyes and coughed slowly and then gently looked down before starting when the memories all came swarming back in her mind.

The way he had treated her fear towards the world and how gentle he was to her that night made her break a smile.

“I’m…very grateful for…your sacrifice that day…” she said, slowly looking up at him. “For me.” She continued with almost a painful voice as though she had been holding these words in.

“I don’t know what I would’ve done that day… alone in the night.” She said. He stared at her with half squint eyes, wandering if he was still in a dream.

“I don’t even think I would do anything near what you did.” She said with a light chuckle, looking down. He slightly smiled but his smile slowly faded when she looked back into his eyes.

“I couldn’t give you anything back in return at all…and I feel horrible. But…that was the very first night I actually felt your kindness.” She looked down with her last words and slightly smiled, feeling proud of herself.

He remained speechless, staring at her flushed face. He was reminded of the previous night when he was talking to her as Garu on the phone and she blushed every time she spoke of him.

“Since that, I’ll TRY to stop calling you Bbang bbang. So thank you… Bang Yongguk.” She said.

They both chuckled and glanced at each other with sparkling eyes that made themselves confused. He smiled and tried thinking of something to break the awkwardness.

“You want to… do something for me in return?” He asked silently with a kid smile on his face that made Jieun unsure if she should say yes or no.

“Depends what you’re thinking of.” She answered with a hesitant look on her face. He leaned back on his chair with a smile that made her heart warm. He crossed his arms and smiled.

 

A/N: Hmm, still thinking on what it should be… kekeke... jk, I have something in mind!! :D

I hope that chapter was good... Sorry if it  was a little boring... :/ I tried!!!

Please comment and stay updated for my next chapter…