CHAPTER THIRTY - The Beginning of the End

Black Paradise

CHAPTER THIRTY

 

Sanghyuk didn’t know what came into him as he slaps Hongbin across the face. The older male’s words angered him yet at the same time, it terrified him. It was exactly like his dream; exactly how he saw himself die by Hongbin’s hand. He had come to the park awaiting his fate; he had prepared himself, and yet, now, after hearing Hongbin’s words, he felt his resolution weaken. He didn’t want to die. He especially didn’t want to die by the hand of someone who had absolutely no memories of him. “You don’t know anything. The only ‘truth’ you know is the lie fed to you by the administration. You think we betrayed them?” Sanghyuk scoffs as he tightens his fists, his anger getting the best of him. “You don’t know the half of what they’ve done to me – to us – to the people you’re supposed to care for as family,” Sanghyuk jabs his finger to Hongbin’s chest, tears running down his face.

Hongbin remains quiet, not knowing what to say. He knew, of course he knew. He knew the truth in Sanghyuk’s words, the pain in his eyes, the slight tremble in his voice as he sobs; he knew them all and yet, he couldn’t bring himself to admit it to himself. With no final word, Hongbin turns around to leave, only to be stopped in his tracks as Sanghyuk starts talking. “You know…,”

“…I’m supposed to die by your hands tonight,”

 

---

 

Taekwoon frowns as he watch the scene before him. He knew that it was wrong to eavesdrop but he had to know; he had to see for himself what the devil would choose to do. He knew how great Hongbin’s sense of duty was, and he knew that out of all of them, he was the least likely to question orders; simply blindly following them. To be honest, he was surprised to see Hongbin hesitate, even more when the boy left. He stands up from his hiding place and starts walking towards Sanghyuk who was now crouching down, trying his best to suppress his cries.

“Here,” Taekwoon says as he offers Sanghyuk his handkerchief. The younger boy, clearly surprised, looks at him then at the handkerchief, hesitating whether or not to take it. “I’m not going to do anything. But I know that you need it. Who knows what Hakyeon will do if he sees you like that,” he says. Finally, Sanghyuk takes the handkerchief, voicing a small thanks. Taekwoon just smiles and sits on the bench across Sanghyuk’s crouching frame.

“Wh-why are you doing this?” Sanghyuk finally asks when he calms down. He looks at Taekwoon who had been sitting on the side the whole time, silently watching him. “You were sent to kill us, right? So why are you being nice to me?” he asks, his voice raising as he watch Taekwoon stand up and start walking away. But not before stopping just by the park’s entrance and tilting his head slightly so that he was looking at Sanghyuk and saying something Sanghyuk hadn’t expected him to say.

“Because we’re family,”

 

---

 

How long has he been running? Wonshik didn’t know. All he knew was that he had to get away. From who? He didn’t know as well. He had to run, leave, hide; he had to disappear. He had sinned, after all, and sinners like him deserve to rot in hell. But he wasn’t ready. No. He still had something to do. Wonshik had to see him, needs to see him. He wanted to know for himself.

It had been hours since then and Wonshik knew that going there would prove futile, but he needed to know; to see for himself. he had to make himself believe that what he had seen in his vision was a dream and not a memory. He couldn’t have done it. He couldn’t possible have. But all proved futile as Wonshik falls to his knees with tears in his eyes and blood on his hands.

“Who was I kidding?”

 

---

 

Jaehwan couldn’t believe his eyes. He was alone. When he opened his eyes that morning, the room was empty. Neither Hakyeon nor Sanghyuk were present. What could have happened to them? He was just about to rush out the door to go looking for them when a piece of paper catches his attention – it was a note from Hakyeon saying that he had gone out the night before, same as Sanghyuk and that Jaehwan was to make his way to the station and that Hakyeon would be meeting him there with Sanghyuk.

Jaehwan re-reads the note over and over, and starts packing the small amount of stuff they’ve accumulated over time. He keeps the note in his pocket and takes one last look around the place they had called home over the past months. He had just placed his hand on the doorknob when a sudden feeling of dread engulfs him and he falls to his knees, gasping for air.

“This can’t be happening…,”

 

---

 

Hongbin didn’t know why. He didn’t know why had changed his mind; why he walked away. It was unheard of, especially from him, the one who never questioned orders. He didn’t know, at least, that’s what he wants to believe, but he does. He knew exactly why he had done it. A part of him believed Sanghyuk’s words. He didn’t know why, but this feeling was strong, strong enough to make him change his mind and walk away. And right now, as Hongbin looks at Wonshik’s crumbling figure, he realizes it was the right choice.

“Wonshik…,”

 

---

 

Hakyeon gives a sad smile as he looks up and stares straight into Taekwoon’s eyes. In all honesty, Hakyeon didn’t expect for them to see eye-to-eye anymore, at least, after they escaped. Taekwoon just stares and waits for Hakyeon to speak. “Don’t blame them, Taekwoon, just like how I didn’t blame you,” Hakyeon says, his voice weak and almost a whimper.

Taekwoon looks at him with sad, pained eyes, but he doesn’t say anything. He owed Hakyeon that much. With shaking hands, Hakyeon takes Taekwoon’s hands into his and lightly pats the other male’s knuckles. “I want you to promise me, Taekwoon, that you won’t do anything you’ll regret. I want you to be more open with your feelings, even if you may think it’s a sign of weakness,” Hakyeon says with a light tone, slightly teasing the male who just gives him a small smile as he lets the older male’s hands go.

“Be safe,”

 

---

 

They were running. With their hands intertwined, they ran without looking back. They didn’t know where they’re headed. All they knew was that they had to get away, they had to go far away. He had to protect him. He had to keep him safe. It didn’t matter what was going to happen from then on. All he knew was that he had to do everything to keep him safe. He had suffered enough – they all did and if doing this will guarantee their safety, then so be it. He solidifies his resolve and tightens his grip – both on his hand and on the gun hidden in his jacket.

“We’re not going back. We’re never going back,”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

and that, my friends, is the long overdue chapter! this officially ends Black Paradise, at least, the first part. the second part, Black Paradise: Where Monsters are Created, will be up once i finish writing it. also, with this new story comes a different writing style as well, which will ensure longer chapters. so anyway, thank you for reading and i hope to see you in the sequel as well!

 

 

 

 

 

fin.