Bestfriend

Fireworks

Taemin POV

“I like you Minho, can you be my boyfriend?” I heard the girl confess to Minho.

I was currently hiding in the bushes at Minho’s yard. And if you’re going to ask me why, I don’t know the answer. I just run here when I saw him coming.

“I’m sorry but I can’t.”

“W-why? Am I not pretty enough to be your girlfriend?”

I cover my mouth with my two hands when I hear Yuri ask that. I am curious to why Minho didn’t accept the girl’s confession. Lots of guys wants to be Yuri’s boyfriend. Well, I can’t blame them since she really is the most beautiful girl in our neighbourhood.

I stay quite as I can to listen Minho’s reason.

“No, of course not. You are beautiful, but I already have someone that I like.”

“WHAT!!? You have someone you already like? How come I didn’t know that?” I pop out and I almost give the two a heart attack because I really surprise them.

“Yah!!LEE TAEMIN!! How dare you to eavesdrop?” Minho shouted. He look at Yuri who just excuse herself when he saw me.

“I didn’t intend to, I just happen to be in your bushes.” I reason out as I wave my goodbye to Yuri.

“And what are you doing in our bushes?”

“I forgot my key, so I decided to spend my hours in your house until my parents come.”

“Sorry, but eavesdropper are not welcome in my house.” He said and enter his house. Slamming the door in my face!

“Hey Minho! How can you be so rude with your lovable bestfriend?”

Minho and I have been friends since the day we came to this world. My parents and his parents are bestfriends and our house is just ten step away from each other. Yes ten steps, that’s how close it is.

“Hey Minho!!Open up. It’s so hot in here!! Okay I am so sorry that I listen. I’m at fault. Okay?!” I continue to bang the door and almost got hit by it when Minho suddenly open it. “Yah!! Give a hint when you’re going to open it. You almost hit me.”

“Well, I think I can forgive you now since you admit your fault.” He said and he open the door for me.

“I wonder why you are so popular with lots of girls even though you have a very bad attitude.” I take a step forward but got stop when my face hit Minho’s chest.

“I get back what I said. Go wait at your house.” He push me outside. “And you wonder why? That’s because I am perfect and handsome.” He said and tried to close the door but I use my foot to stop it.

Yes I admit that Choi Minho is perfect unlike me.

He is taller than me.

He is smarter than me.

He goes to private school while I am attending a public school.

He is popular with girls because he is handsome, while I am popular with grandmas and grandpas because they said I am cute.

But what they don’t know is that, Choi Minho is a bully.

“Come on, I am just joking. Please let me in.” I use my cutest aegyo.

“Don’t use aegyo to me. It’s not gonna work and you don’t look cute.” He said but he still open the door.

I starts to pant since I use my energy to fight for the door to open.

“Wait for me here and don’t follow me at my room.” He said and run upstair.

I heard what he said but I still follow him.

“Minho! Who is the person you like. And how does it feel to like someone?” I ask as I open his door and I saw him taking his shirt.

“Yah! I told you not to follow me. And if you are bragging into my room, at least knock.” He starts to put another shirt.

“What for. It’s not as if you have to hide something from me. Like you, I have balls too.” I said and sat in his bed.

“Tsk..tsk..you have really unsophisticated tongue.”

“So can you tell me who this person that you like?”

“I don’t want to.”

“But why? We never had a secret with each other.”

“Well it is better to keep it a secret because I don’t trust you anymore. Last time I told you not to tell Jonghyun and Key about my circumcision. But you still told them and to the whole neighbourhood.”

I laugh when I remember how embarrass Minho when almost of our neighbour congratulate him.

“Come on Minho that’s not something you have to be embarrass. That is something you can be proud of you know.”

“Still I’m not telling you. And besides, you will never understand no matter how much I explain it to you. How hopeless. You already 16 years old but you still not have someone you like? How pitiful.” He said and he walk out of the room.

How rude. So what if I still haven’t someone I like. It’s not like it is something that you can just pick at the ground. This guy is really a total bully.

 

 

The next day I was sitting in the classroom, spacing out when Onew come towards me.

“Hey Tae, can I talk to you?”

“Sure.” I said and we headed out and went to the rooftop.

“I—I like you Tae. Can you go out with me?”

I was lost of word about the confession. I think shortly but I still accepted Onew’s confession. This is something that I can be brag at Minho.

After class I run directly at Minho’s house. I run to his room and open the door widely.

“LEE TAEMIN!! How many times do I have to tell you! Knock before coming in.”

“Hey Minho. You wouldn’t believe this. But me, Lee Taemin, 16 years old have been confess to today.”

“Well at least you know that I’m not gonna believe that.”

“You don’t want to believe me? Look at his text message.” I put my cellphone in his face to let him read Onew’s message saying he like me. “Believe now? He is my classmate and he said that I am a cute guy.” I said as I squealed at Minho’s bed.

“Cute? I think that guy have a bad eyesight.”

“How rude of you. Oh well I decided to go out with him.”

“WHAT?! Go out? That fast? Do you like him?”

“Like? Well he is nice, he said that I am cute and he like. Yes, I like him.”

“Are you liking someone just because they like you?”

“What is so bad about that? All I have to do is to wait in what they called, falling in love.

I saw Minho’s expression change. Is it hurt that I saw in his eyes. Not sure.

“Whatever. Congrats then. I wish for your happiness.” He walk out and slam the door when I try to follow him.

“What the hell was that?”

 

It was the first day of summer break and I am currently spending my time watching the fan and is waiting to see the air. I wonder why Minho starts to act weird after I told him that I am going to start dating Onew. I rub my eyes when it starts to be teary because of the air. I have to find out why the hell Minho acting so weird.

“Mom! I’m just going to Minho’s house!” I run outside and headed at Minho’s house. I saw his mom at the garden. “Hi Mrs. Choi! Is Minho here?”

“Yes, just go to his room.”

I said thanks and run at Minho’s room. I open the door and saw him in front of his computer, playing.

“Hey Minho. Let’s play.” I said and put my arms around his neck.

“Go play with your boyfriend.”

I notice that Minho is not in the good mood. Maybe because he is playing and I am here disturbing him. I squeeze my arm in his neck. “Come on, don’t be mad anymore. Are you angry because I am not spending lots of time with you now?”

I feel him taking a deep breath. “I am not mad Taemin, you know that I hate it when someone is disturbing me while I am playing.” He said but his eyes is still in the screen of his computer.

I am not convince on what he said. I know him very well and I know when he is angry. I think of something to get his attention. I put my hand in his eyes.

“Yah Taemin I am playing. Stop that.” He said and pull his my hand away.

“I want to play with you.”

“After I finish this game.”

“Okay, then let me sleep here and wake me up when you’re done.”  

“Go sleep in your house.”

“My mom is changing my bed sheet.”

“Then sleep in your living room.”

“Nah, mom is having his general cleaning today. I can’t sleep because of the vacuum. Goodnight.”

 

I am not sure if it was a dream or not but I feel like something is touching my lips and I heard someone waking me up. I slightly open right eye and saw that Minho was kissing me. I tried to go back in my dream but then I realize what was happening. I open my eyes but Minho is already back to his chair, that’s what I am not sure if that was just a dream.

“D-did you waking me up?” I ask Minho who is busy in his computer.

“Yes, since I am done with my game. But it looks like you don’t want to wake up. So I just starts a new game.”

I touch my lips because I still feel that something was in there.

“Hey Taemin.”

“Yes?”

“I think you should stop coming here now.” I look at him but his eyes is still in his computer.

“What do you mean by that?”

“I decided to go out with Yuri.”

“Huh? Why I thought you said that you don’t like her? And what about the person you like?”

“I know but she still likes me even after I rejected her. And that person already have a boyfriend so I don’t think that I have a chance.”

“So you are just going out with Yuri just because you thought that you don’t have a vhance with that person?”

“That’s okay Taemin. Beside didn’t you say that you don’t have to like someone to be in a relationship, because there this thing they called falling in love? There might be a chance that I will fall to Yuri.”

“That cruel. You are using her just because you are broken-hearted. That not like you Minho. I didn’t know that you have that kind of attitude.”

“Then maybe because don’t really see the real me.”

I feel like there is some meaning in Minho’s word. And why does my heart starts to ache when Minho said that there might be a chance that he will fall in love to Yuri. I shook my head, maybe I just ate too much in my lunch and I just having a heart burn. But it’s already been half an hour since I ate.

“Anyway Taemin. As what I said. Stop coming here now. Yuri might come here one of this day and this room is small of the three of us.”

I starts to feel angry on how he is treating me now. I get off his bed and walk toward the door. “You stupid Minho.” I said as I slam the door.

 

It was already one week since I last came at Minho’s house and I never once saw Yuri coming there. But I notice that Minho never open his curtain in his room. I know that because our room is facing with each other.

I open my window and pick something that I can throw at Minho’s widow.

“HEY CHOI MINHO!! I know that you are in there. Can you stop ignoring me? If you hates me now just tell it to me. Stop being weird.” I shouted and still throwing a pen in his window. “Come on Minho.” I said and cover as I cover my face with my hands. “I miss you.” I mumble as I cry.

 

Today is the day that there will be a fireworks display and Onew ask me to watch it. I remember last year it was Minho you accompany me to watch it. But this year I know that it is impossible for me to ask him because I am sure that he will be with Yuri.

As I walk out in my house I saw Minho in their gate too. I let my head down and walk pass at him. He too did the same thing and starts to walk in the different direction. Maybe he is going to Yuri’s house.

Onew is already in our meeting place when I got there. He holds my hand and lead the way where we can watch the firework.

“I am so happy Taemin that I got a chance to watch this with the person I like. It’s like a dream come true.” He said shyly.

I look at him. Shouldn’t I be feeling that to, since I am with my boyfriend and this is a very romantic scene? But why I feel empty and I am looking for someone, someone that I hope who is by my side. Then I suddenly realize. It’s Minho that I want to be in my side, it was Minho who can give me happiness. It was Minho that I like. And knowing that he is with someone now makes my heart ache.

I look at Onew. “I’m sorry, but I don’t think this is a good idea. I’m sorry Onew, but I can’t go out with you after all.” After I said that I run as fast as I can and look around the place wishing that I can see Minho or Yuri. I am half running and walking not leaving any spot, when I got trip by the stone that I didn’t notice. I already prepare myself that I am going to hit the ground but someone catch me. I look up and I saw Minho.

“What are you doing looking, as if you want to lay down in the ground?” He as me as he help me to get on my feet.

“I got tripped, idiot.”

“Yah how dare you say that to me.”

I didn’t answer and look at him and at his back to see if Yuri is in there too. But to my surprise I didn’t see and sign of Yuri. “W-where’s Yuri.”

“She’s not here.”

“I know that’s why I am asking.”

“I didn’t invite her because this is a special day and I once promise to someone that I am only going to watch this fireworks with him.”

I look at him, that what he said to me last year. “Minho, I can’t watch it with Onew.” I look down as I said that.

“Why? He’s your boyfriend.”

“Because I can’t enjoy and I am not happy.”

“Why?

“Because I am looking for you.”

“Why?”

“Because I want to watch it with you.”

“Why.”

I look at his eyes. “B-because I like you and I feel sad that you are watching this with someone else.”

I see him smile and he pull me to his chest. “That’s my line Taemin. I don’t want you to share this beautiful scene with someone else. It should ony be me who can stand at your side. And no one else.

“Why?”

“Because I like you.”

“You—you do? But I thought you have some-“

“That is you stupid.”

I feel so happy hearing that Minho likes me. I am so happy that it is still not too late for us to love each other. We can now love each other not just as friend but as a lover’s too.

Minho lifted my face and kiss me softly.

“Second time.” I mumble when Minho pull away from the kiss.

“Second time of what?”

“Didn’t you kiss me while I was sleeping?”

“You’re awake that time?!”

“Half.”

“And you didn’t told me!”

“But I am even sure with myself if you really did kiss me. I am half asleep that time.”

“Still!” He shouted and turn his back to me. “I not going to kiss you again.”

“What? Don’t do that. I like your kiss.” I run after him and wrap my arm in his arms. “You have to kiss me every day, okay?” I said and I smile at him.

“No way.” He said and run away.

I follow him and some of the people are watching us running around the area.