Chapter 1

MELANCHOLIC MONODRAMA

 

“Omma, appa” Ara smiled as she entered her parent candy store. They smiled back. Mr. Mrs. Yoo owned a candy shop that was inherited by Ara’s grandparents after they died. Their family wasn’t a rich family like most people in the city. Maybe Ara and her brother, Sanghyuk will run this family business. Mr. and Mrs. Yoo income weren’t that much. Just enough for daily needs. Ara didn’t go to school like most 11 years-old children. Sanghyuk had quit school when he was 13. He didn’t want to trouble his parents. Now that he’s 14, he works at a stall near the candy store.

                                                                                    

            Ara felt as happy as her family member smiled at her. Her parents’ and Sanghyuk’s smiles encouraged her.

 

-Flashback (when Ara was 6)-

 

            Ara tiptoed downstairs to the store from their house upstairs. She hid behind a wall to make sure her parents don’t see her and her actions. Her parents were talking about something with serious faces.

 

*Maybe business crisis happen* she thought and shrugged it off. She ran to hide in front of the counter which full of sweets. *This is my chance* she grabbed some sweets and put it into her overall pockets. Mr. Yoo heard something and looked in front of the counter.

 

*Oh My! Busted!* she gulped as he saw her trying to steal sweets. He just shook his head with smile. Ara smiled back hoping she’ll not be punished. She put the sweets back into its containers slowly.

 

“Ara, don’t do that again. It’s a bad thing to do” Mrs. Yoo said. “I’m sorry. I’ll never do it again” “Here” Mr. Yoo held out two sweets to her. She was so delighted.

 

            Suddenly, the store door opened, making the bell on the door ring. Someone walked on the old wooden floor of the store. Ara knew well whose footstep was that and turned to the hallway.

 

“Oppa!” she ran to Sanghyuk and hugged him. He caressed her hair with smile. He was home after going to school. Sanghyuk went to her parent and hugged his mother. His white school uniform was now dirty. His hand was covered with cuts and bruises. Mrs. Yoo caressed his head with sadness.

 

*Poor Sanghyuk oppa. He got bullied again* Ara thought. Although Sanghyuk never tells her but she knew that he had been bullied at school. She did not dare to ask about it to him.

 

            Ara and Sanghyuk were very close. He taught her to read and write. He always tells his daily experience at school to her. Ara was grateful to have a family.

 

-End of flashback-