The Meeting

Our Story

“Umma, Umma,” Minsoo yelled as she ran into the kitchen holding a book. “Umma,” she poked my leg.

“Yes, Sweetie?” I looked down at her while still cooking.

“Umma, look what I found,” Minsoo held up a photo album with a smile on her face.

“Omo, where’d you find that?” I was curious; I haven’t seen that photo album in years.

“Hehe, secret,” she smiled.

“Umma’s cooking right now, go show it to Appa,” I directed my eyes back on the stove and continued to cook.

Minsoo pouted then ran out of the kitchen, “Appa, Appa,” she yelled.

Moments later Hyunchul came into the kitchen while carrying Minsoo, “Yeobo, look what Minsoo found,” he walked towards me while flipping through the pages. “Nostalgic isn’t it.”

“Appa, is that you and Umma?” Minsoo questioned looking at the couple picture.

“Ah, Yeobo, remember this picture?” Hyunchul stared at the picture of us and smiled.

I took a glance over, “wasn’t that the day we met?” I took a closer look at the picture and smiled, “we were so young back then.”

12 years ago

*ttring ttring ttring* I reached over to stop the alarm clock then let out a yawn. “Happy birthday to me,” I told myself and smiled then got up.

“Yah, Park Jungmi, where are you?” I asked her while tapping my foot and spoke irritatedly on the phone. “You’re 30 minutes late,” I sighed while waiting alone at the café for my best friend.

“Mian, I’m almost there give me another 5 minutes!” Jungmi responded on the phone.

I hung up the phone and shooked my head then hovered my hands over the coffee cup, *so warm,* I giggled.

“Excuse me,” a male voice spoke.

Upon hearing the unfamiliar voice I directed my eyes upward as my heart instantly started fluttering upon seeing him. “Umm—y—ess..?” I stuttered in response. I’ve never seen someone this handsome close up.

 “Umm, are you ___?” He asked shyly. I nodded my head slightly. “Annyeonghaseyo, Park Hyunchul nida,” he introduced him as he bowed, “mind if I sit here?”

 “Go ahead,” I offered him wondering why he was here.

As the waiter walked over he ordered a cup of orange juice.  My phone made a tone as I received a text message. “Ah, that must be Jungmi,” he commented then signaled me to go ahead. I gave him a gentle smile and slightly bow.

*What on earth is going on,* I thought confusedly.

SURPRISEEE!!

Have fun on your date. ♥ ♥ ♥

                                -Jungmi

“That girl,” I muttered to myself then sighed. The waiter walked over and placed Hyunchul’s order down. I stared at him unconsciously as he took a sip of his juice, *where on earth did Jungmi find him.*

“Is there something on my face?” Hyunchul looked at me as I stared at him. I instantly avoided eye contacts with him directing my eyes down on my coffee blushing. “You’re cheeks are red, are you okay?” He got up and touched my cheek to feel the temperature.

“I’—m okay,” I leaned back a little to avoid his hands and bit my lips from embarrassment. He sat back down upon seeing my reaction; we sat there awkwardly in silent for a minute. *I should probably say something..*

“Umm—,“ we said in sync. We stared at each other and laughed.

“You go ahead,” he offered.

“No it’s okay you can go first,” I smiled at him.

“I should probably introduce myself properly,” he spoke shyly; “I’m Jungmi’s cousin, I moved here recently and will be attending your school soon.”

“Ahh,” I nodded my head understanding the relation, *this makes so much more sense now.* “So where did you come from?” I asked curiously.

“Daegu, but I lived here for a while back then so I grasped the Seoul dialect,” he explained.

I stared at his lips as he took a sip of his juice then shook my head, *yah, I shouldn’t be like this.*

“___-sshi,” he spoke suddenly, “is there anywhere you’d like to go, uhm, I heard it was your birthday.”

“It’s alright,” I was a bit shocked to hear the offer.

“Come on,” he insisted, “name a place.”

“It’s really alright,” I giggled amused watching him.

“Alright,” he paused for a few seconds then got up and walked towards me. He reached his hand out to me as I stared at him confusedly, “let’s go.”

“Go? Go where?” I looked into his charisma eyes being captured as he took my hand and headed to the counter to pay. Thump, thump, my face turned red as I stared at our hands, *we.. are.. holding.. hands.* He held my hand and kept walking, “umm, Hyungchul-sshi, where are we going?”

“You’ll see,” he turned his face towards me and gave out a gentle smile.

We walked in silent; I didn’t know what to say. I followed his lead while walking slightly behind him holding his hand not caring where we were headed to.

15 minutes has passed by quickly. Hyunchul suddenly stopped, “we’re here,” he said.

I looked up and smiled widely, “are we going up to the Namsan Tower?” I asked excitingly.

Hyunchul nodded his head and smiled in reply, “now let’s go,” he continued to hold my hand as we walked to the cable car.

As we were waiting in line, I noticed people were staring at us. I then noticed we were still holding hands on our first meeting, I slowly let go of his hand and he looked over at me, “ah, sorry, I forgot.” His face turned a bit red from embarrassment.

“No, it’s ok,” I replied shyly.  

Hyunchul paid for both our tickets although I insisted on paying for my own. He told me since it’s my birthday he should treat me so I shyly accepted the offer. We were in the cable car with around 10 other peoples.

As the cable car started I looked out at the side, “waa, it’s so beautiful.” I stared at the view of Seoul with him standing beside me sharing the scenery.

“Hyunchul, look,” I called out his name and turned my head and saw him staring at me then immediately turned his head after our eyes have met. My heart started beating quicker as I blushed and slowly turned my head back to the scenery trying not to over think.

We reached the top and got out of the cable car then made our way into the tower.  I quickly ran to the window to see the view like a little kid as Hyunchul was chuckling at my actions. “This is my first time here, my parents are always busy with work and I’ve never got the chance to come here,”Hyunchul listened to my words as he looked at the view. “Hyunchul-sshi,” I said.

“Hmm?” He directed his eyes to me.

“Thanks for taking me here,” I turned to him and smiled as I saw his cheek slowly turned red. “Ah, your cheeks are red,” I poked at it and giggled.

He looked at me and smiled. “Say, want to take a picture for the memory?” he suggested.

“Sure,” I replied not expecting that question to come up.

Upon hearing the answer Hyunchul took out his cellphone and the front camera mode, “hana, dul, set, click.”

He checked the picture as I took out my phone, “send it to me,” I smiled and saw his face slowly turn red again, “ah, it’s red again.” I stared at his face then laughed. He plugged in my number on his phones then sent the picture to me.

 

After a couple hours of touring the Namsan Tower he walked me home. “Thanks for today,” I smiled at him while we were outside my house, “I had a lot of fun.” I turned around and started walking towards my door.

“___-sshi,” he called out as I was walking.

“Hmm?” I turned around and looked at him.

“Is it okay with you if we meet again?” He asked me. I nodded my head and smiled then turned back continue walking. “I will call you,” he shouted to me.

I got in the house and shut the door; I leaned against it, “best birthday ever.”