Find It

Happiness

                “What do you mean the flight is cancelled?” the girl asked, looking at the flight attendant with wide, panicked eyes. “It can’t be! I need to get to Los Angeles!” she fumbled with the things in her hands before setting them all down on the counter and placing her hands flat on the counter besides it all. “Please, could you just check—“

                “I’m sorry, but the flight cancelled. There’s nothing I can do about it.” The flight attendant gave her a small wave of dismissal. “Please, Miss, there are people behind you.”

                With a sigh, the girl gathered her things, grabbed her bag and suitcase and moved out of the way with a small bow and muttered apology. She stumbled back and into the arms of the man behind her with an ‘oompf’. After quickly apologizing to the tall—and gorgeous—man, she groaned as she dragged herself over to a seat and pulled out her phone to text her boss.

                Miyoung

My flight has been cancelled. I can’t leave by tonight.

 

Boss

Figures. The weather out here is terrible. Try to get a flight out by the morning at least.

 

Miyoung

Yes sir!

 

                Miyoung let out a heavy sigh as she gathered her things and tried her best to place them back where they belonged.

                That was when she realized her wallet was missing.

                She sat there, staring down at her bag in disbelief as that sunk in for her, before letting out an exceptionally loud groan and burying her face in her hands.

                This couldn’t get any worse, now could it?

                “Excuse me, Miss?” A clearly male voice said from slightly above her. Whoever it was that was speaking was obviously speaking to her, because he was tapping her on the shoulder too. Miyoung jerked her head up in surprise and ended up coming into contact with the owner of the voice’s chin. He in a sharp breath of pain as Miyoung quickly began apologizing over and over again.

                Apparently, it could get worse.

                The man in front of her chuckled, shaking his head and waving a hand in dismissal. “It’s okay, I shouldn’t have startled you.”

                “But I—I’m just—I’m so sorry.” She mumbled feebly, lowering her eyes to her hands in her lap as to not get carried away from staring at how handsome the man was.

                “Don’t worry about it, no harm done.” He sighed as he eased into the seat next to her. “I just wanted to come and return this to you.” He handed her the wallet that moments ago had been missing in action with a soft smile. “It was still on the counter and I assumed that you must of forgot it in your grand exit.”

                With a cry of complete joy, Miyoung eagerly snatched the wallet from his hands and began to dig through for her I.D and credit card, but she froze mid-search when she realized how she must have looked to the kind man.

                “Thank you.” She said, looking him directly in the eyes and becoming breathless for a moment. She waved the wallet in front of her face and shyly looked down. “You probably just saved my life, no kidding.”

                “Trying to get to LA, right?” Miyoung nodded. “For what, if it’s alright for me to ask.”

                Miyoung let out a heavy sigh, leaned back in her seat, and tilted her head up towards the ceiling. “My job. I’m a wedding planner and my boss is actually the one that’s getting married, but his wife is from LA so they’re having the wedding there.”

                “You don’t sound too enthusiastic.” The man said with a chuckle. Miyoung shrugged, turning to looking at him with a smile.

                “I suppose it’s just so typical, isn’t it?” Her smile turned sad. “I’m in a bit of a predicament with this wedding.”

                The man in front of her studied her face for a moment before nodding in understanding. “You love him. Your boss.”

                Miyoung closed her eyes. “Even a stranger can see it. So why couldn’t he?”

                “Because men see only what’s shown to them not what all is there.”

                Miyoung let out a humorless chuckle. “Is that so? Then I suppose I should have told him. But would that have made a difference?”

                “I think you already know that answer.” And she did.

                It would make a difference, but not the kind she’d want.

                The man beside her reached out and gently took her hand in his. “You and I are a lot alike it seems.” He flipped her hand palm side up and traced the lines with his finger gently.

                “Are we?” Miyoung murmured, opening her eyes and watching his finger run across her hand.

                He pulled away slowly and looked up to meet her eyes. “It looks like it.” His gaze shifted towards someone walking towards the two. It was a young woman, maybe close to Miyoung’s own age, dressed in a dress suit and bright smile gracing her lips.

                “Sungyeol-ah,” she called out once she got close enough. “Our plane is about to take off, we need to hurry and go.” She glanced at Miyoung and bowed slightly before shifting her gaze back to the man seated beside her. “Let’s go.”

                The man—whose name must be Sungyeol—smiled and stood. “I’m coming, let me just say goodbye to Miyoung-sshi, EunMi-ah.” The woman—EunMi, it seemed—nodded and hurried away, but not before Miyoung could notice the ring on her left-hand ring finger.

                “She’s engaged?” Miyoung asked, tilting her head up to look at Sungyeol.

                He gave her a sad smile, very much like the one she had given him. “He’s very wealthy.”

                And Miyoung understood.

                Sungyeol gestured towards the wallet in her lap. “I’d place your I.D in a better place where the whole world can’t see it.” He smiled a bit brighter. “And I’d go find your own happiness, Miyoung-sshi. Don’t keep purposely hurting yourself for no reason, okay?”

                “Shouldn’t you be doing the same?” Miyoung asked, standing up and placing her bag on her shoulder.

                Sungyeol sighed and glanced towards the way that EunMi had gone. “It’s a bit harder than that.”

                Miyoung couldn’t help but smile at him. A real and genuine smile. “Isn’t it always?”

                Sungyeol marveled at her beauty. A simple yet glowing beauty. One that he would never get tired of looking at, now that he thought of it.

                But he had to go. EunMi was waiting for him now. Not the way he wished she would however, but she was still waiting.

                With a small nod and a quick flash of a smile, Sungyeol turned to leave, bowing his head with a sigh. He had to prepare for the heartache he was about to face, because surely that’s the only thing EunMi could give him now.

                He glanced back once he’d gotten a good distance away and saw Miyoung glancing at her phone with a slight frown. She quickly text something, dropped the phone back into her bag, and smiled to herself. Then, as if knowing someone was looking, she glanced up and caught Sungyeol’s eye. She gave him a small wave as he turned the corner towards the way to his plane.

                Miyoung couldn’t wipe the smile off her face as she gathered her things and walked towards the counter, ready to go and buy another ticket for the morning. But as she stood in line, Sungyeol’s words resounded through her head.

                Go find your own happiness.

                With a chuckle, Miyoung shook her head and turned away from the counter just as she was about to step up to it once again. She stepped out of the airport and was about to call for a taxi when her phone rang.

                It was him.

                Not Sungyeol, but him.

                “Ah, Minhyun.” Miyoung murmured into the phone as soon as she answered it, turning slightly away from the taxi that had just pulled up.

                “Miyoung-ah! Did you get your ticket yet? I need my girl here!” He chuckled at the end of his sentence, sending chills down Miyoung’s spines.

                Miyoung took in a deep breath and closed her eyes slowly. She thought of Sungyeol and what he’d told her.

                Find your own happiness.

                “I’m not going.” She said quietly, then cleared and added in a stronger voice, “And I quit.” Then, before she could hear anything he had to say, she hung up her phone and slid into the taxi.

                “Where to, Miss?” the driver asked, glancing at Miyoung through the rearview mirror.

                Miyoung smiled serenely. “Where do people usually go to be happy these days?”