First Love (End)

(ii) Memories of Our Childhood

Hyukjae woke up, his eyes were bloodshot red and his head was spinning. He had drunk 2 whole bottles of wine last night. His new friend – Kyuhyun, had been teaching him and influencing him to drink and appreciate wines, but Hyukjae only used the alcoholic beverage to forget a few things.

 

“Woah, where am I?” Hyukjae asked Kyuhyun as a joke.

 

“Dude, you really got the whole wine thing wrong. It’s not beer. You have to drink it slowly and just enjoy the aroma. You fill it in the glass and….” Kyuhyun continued to blab about wine, possibly repeating the same things he said last night and the night before. Hyukjae was really getting sick of his friend’s new addiction. He had preferred the time when Kyuhyun was satisfied with gaming, but this wine addiction - or appreciation as he liked to put it – was getting out of control.

 

Hyukjae walked to the bathroom to wash up while Kyuhyun was still blabbing in the background.

 

It has been a month since their grade 6 graduation and they were – technically – still on their summer holiday. Hyukjae had met Kyuhyun when they were both lining up to complete their high school registration. They clicked immediately. They felt as though they had been friends for a very long time.

 

“Hey Kyu… where’s your toothpaste?”

 

“First drawer to your left.” Kyuhyun answered from his room.

 

As soon as Hyukjae came out, he found Kyuhyun standing in front of the bathroom door, waiting for him.

 

“Hyuk, your mom called.”

 

“yeah? What did she say?”

 

“I didn’t pick up.”

 

“Oh, okay then.” Hyukjae motioned to walk past the slightly younger boy but the latter was faster in blocking his path.

 

“I’m not done.” Kyuhyun’s voice was portraying a hint of irritation.

 

“What else?”

 

“She messaged you. and I read it.”

 

“Okay.”

 

“She said a guy named Donghae came to your house twice yesterday. and twice everyday for the past month. She wants you to stay home today.”

 

“Alright, thanks for the message Kyu.” Hyukjae pushed past the other and grabbed his phone to read the message for himself.

 

“Hyuk…” Kyuhyun continued, “You’ve been spending a lot of time with me. Like you meet me every single day as though you have nothing better to do. In fact, you said for yourself that you had nothing to do. But why do I feel like you are trying to avoid something?”

 

Hyukjae remained silent.

 

“Hyuk…”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Were you listening?”

 

“what? Yeah.. yeah I was…”

 

“Are you?”

 

“Am I…what?”

 

“Avoiding something?”

 

“oh… uhm… avoid? Uhmmm… no, I don’t think so.”

 

“okay. Cause if you are, and if you need someone to talk to. I’m here.”

 

Hyukjae looked up from his phone to meet Kyuhyun’s eyes. He found sincerity in them. So he smiled to reassure his friend and placed his phone in his pocket.

 

“I’m going to go somewhere. See you later Kyu.”

 

“home?”

 

“No.”

 

“Dude, your mom made it pretty clear that she wanted you home today. That guy seems desperate to meet you. who is he anyway?”

 

“Donghae?”

 

“yeah. Who is he?”

 

“A guy I used to know…”

 

“used to?”

 

“yeah. Used to.”

 

*Flashback*

 

“Next up, is a speech by our very own graduate: Lee Hyukjae. Lee Hyukjae has been a role student for many years. He is the perfect example of making the most of all worlds. He excels in his academic, he participates and is committed to several extracurricular activities and in his daily life, he is known as a well mannered and cheerful boy. I wish him the best in his future endeavours.” The principal concluded her introduction while Hyukjae made his way on stage.

 

Meanwhile, Donghae was seated among the audience. Anxiousness was evident on his face. He knew that in less than an hour, he would be making a step – in either the wrong or the right direction. The uncertainty is enough to kill him on the inside but he really wanted to let Hyukjae know of his feelings.

 

The night was getting darker and many students were busy taking commemorative photos with their parents. Donghae made his way to building C, where he arranged to meet Hyukjae. He waited for a very long time. With every second, his heart beat fastened. With every second, his heart felt heavier. He hated Hyukjae for making him wait. He hated that the longer he waited for the moment of truth, the longer he had to suffer from anxiety. But Donghae still smiled. Perhaps, Hyukjae was busy taking photos with all the teachers and getting praises and blessings from them.

 

But Hyukjae wasn’t taking photos. He wasn’t with all his teachers. He wasn’t getting praises and blessings. Hyukjae was on the other side of the door, looking at Donghae through the small glass window. He saw how nervous Donghae looked. He saw him pacing from one corner of the rooftop to the other. But every time Donghae smiled and made gestures of encouragement to himself, Hyukjae felt his heart shattering into many pieces.

 

Donghae had waited for a little over an hour. In fact, Hyukjae has, too. Hyukjae didn’t want to meet Donghae face to face in case he would cry, or worse, say the thing he thinks he might say. So when the clock hit 7, Hyukjae turned around and walked home.

 

The next day, he had told his mom that he wanted to go to a school far from the neighbourhood. He wanted to meet new people, to explore the world beyond his comfort zone. His mom agreed. She didn’t ask, nor did she need his reasons.

 

Hyukjae thought that it was best for him, and for Donghae, if he was distant. So from the graduation night, he never met, let alone saw Donghae.

 

*End flashback*

 

“Kyu… one more thing…”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Can you keep yesterday to yourself? I don’t want anyone knowing I’ve already been drunk. I’m only 12.”

 

“It’s not illegal, you know.”

 

“Well yeah. But, morally, it’s still controversial.”

 

“and making someone wait for you isn’t morally controversial?”

 

Hyukjae walked to the front of the house, ignoring Kyuhyun’s statement.

 

“Look, Hyuk, I really hope you’re planning on going home and meeting that guy. I don’t know what happened between the two of you but since you’re so concerned about morals, the first step would be to meet him.”

 

Hyukjae stopped tying his shoelace and looked up at Kyuhyun.

 

“Do you want to know what happened between us?”

 

“I’d like to, cause you know how curious I can get.”

 

“Well…the truth is… nothing happened between us.”

 

“…then…why?”

 

“That IS the reason. Because NOTHING happened between us”

 

“What are you saying?”

 

“I…I…” Hyukjae himself was surprised at his sudden statement. He wasn’t even sure what he meant.

 

“What does that mean Hyuk?”

 

“I’ll see you later Kyu. Bye.”

 

---

 

“Mom. I’m home!”

 

“Oh thank god Hyukjae. Donghae’s been coming here and asking about you, everyday. You know how he is Hyuk. Don’t be like that honey. What’s wrong? You can tell me. I know you well enough to know that you’re avoiding him. Whatever it is, we can work it out. You guys have known each other since you were born. You know, not many people have what you guys have.”

 

“and what exactly do we have, mom?”

 

“Well… love.”

 

Hyukjae widened his eyes.

 

Someone finally said that out loud. And for once, it doesn’t seem that impossible to Hyukjae.

 

“Love?”

 

“Yes. Love.”

 

“We’re guys.” Hyukjae tried to dismiss the matter, “there’s no such thing, mom.”

 

“Hyukkie, baby, love comes in many forms. What you guys have is definitely love. Whatever form it may take, be it friendship, family, brotherhood… you guys love each other.”

 

“right…”

 

“Yes. So please… talk to him.”

 

---

 

“Hyukkie?”

 

“Hi Hae.”

 

“Hyukkie!!!!!!!!! Where the hell have you been?”

 

“Well, just here and there.”

 

Donghae had come to Hyukjae’s house and was really surprised when the latter opened the door.

 

“It’s been a whole month since I saw you! I really really really missed you.”

 

“Yeah.”       I really really really missed you too Hae.

 

“So tell me, what’s new?”

 

“Nothing much. Just been finalising my high school stuff.”

 

“Oh yeah. I heard from your mom that you’re going to Seoul High School. Nice choice.”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“I’m going to a school near there as well. Not really near, but close enough for us to go home together.” Donghae was excited.

 

“Yeah… sounds good.”

 

“So…”

 

“So…”

 

“…”

 

“…”

 

“Hyuk…why…” Donghae’s excited tone died down as his facial expression began to portray seriousness, “why didn’t you come that day?”

 

“What day?”

 

“graduation night. Rooftop.”

 

I did.

 

well, I didn’t want to get in the way…. Anyways, how did it turn out? Are you..well…are you two together now?”

 

“No Hyukkie. No.” Donghae’s voice was quivering. It may have been his pent up anger, or it may have been the tears.

 

“I’m…I’m sorry to hear that.”

 

“Are you? Are you sorry? Cause I don’t think anyone could be as sorry as I am.”

 

Hyukjae’s heart shattered again. He didn’t even realise that it was possible for his heart to shatter and mend it self and only to be repetitively shattered again.

 

“you love him that much, huh Hae?”

 

“Yes. Yes I do.”

 

Hyukjae was tearing up. He couldn’t take it anymore.

 

“Well, I hope you work things out with him Hae. I really do. As long as you’re happy. I won’t…I promise…I won’t get in your way. I promise…” His, previously, silent tears turned into sobs.

 

“Hey…” Donghae’s voice softened, the frustrated look in his eyes disappeared as he neared his best friend to wipe off the tears, “why are you crying Hyukkie?”

 

For a complete minute, only Hyukjae’s cries echoed in the room.

 

“shhh…” Donghae continued to calm Hyukjae down.

 

“Hae… I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have… I… I’m just sorry.”

 

“What are you apologising for?”

 

“Remember that day when we were younger? When you thought I was going to be eaten by the toilet?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“When you got scared because of the flush…”

 

“oh…”

 

“You made me promise to always be with you…”

 

“Yes. And you always have.”

 

“But…I think I may have to break that promise now.”

 

“What????? Why???”

 

“I think…I think…I think I like you.”

 

Donghae’s feet moved a step back. His hands fell to his sides and his mouth  hung open.

 

“you…you like me?”

 

“well…”

 

“so why do you feel the need to break the promise?”

 

“because I think the only way you’ll be happy is when you’re with that guy you love.”

 

“you’re right. I am happy.”

 

Hyukjae stopped crying.

 

“you’re happy?”

 

“Yes. Right now, I am very happy because I am with the guy I love.”

 

Hyukjae looked around – looking for any other guy in the room. A really stupid move since it was pretty obvious that Donghae came by himself.

 

“so…”

 

“Hyukkie… I like you.”

 

---

 

The rest of their summer holidays were spent together – as best friends, as boy friends.

 

They returned to their old days where they comfortably joked around, played around, talked and much – much – more.

 

The transition from childhood into adolescence always includes elements of confusion, sadness and, ultimately, joy.

 

With each other, the two boys experienced all sorts of emotions. With each other they found love.

 

“Hae… WATCH OUT!!!!!”

 

“Damn it Hyukkie… we should use my ball. Your ball hates me! Seriously!!!”

 

“You’re blaming the ball again. You could’ve just dodged it or did a head but or something.”

 

“No Hyukkie, you don’t get it. This ball has something against me!”

 

“right…”

 

“Don’t just dismiss my point. This BALL HATES ME!”

 

“right Hae…”

 

Donghae stormed away, leaving Hyukjae – and his ball – alone on the soccer field.

 

“You know Hae… for a soccer (football) maniac, you really at it.” Hyukjae raised his voice so Donghae could hear him.

 

“You know…for a wise person, you really are dumb.”

 

 

- END -

I know this FIC was supposed to be a collection of one-shots, but i got carried away with this one. So this one is a three-shot. hehehe...

But from now on, hopefully, i will continue to update with one-shots. 

cheers..

 

And thank you for commenting and subscribing...

and does anyone know if i can ask anyone to make a poster for this story??